RE: [RoboMower] Reversed polarity - now what???

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
      > Open 'er up again, and white smoke escapes.

      In addition to the capacitor, you probably sprung a leak in one of the
      chips. I learned this a while back, but the chips are full of smoke. When
      it leaks out, it's broke.

      More seriously, you're going to need a technician with some test equipment
      to start walking through the board. I haven't looked at a board, but since
      the unit also provides charging services for the battery there is probably a
      power conditioning circuit associated with that. He'll likely find
      something popped in there.

      Note that I r an inguneer, not a technician, so I can't help much farther
      than the general thought.

      Dan
    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2005
        Charlie:

        Sorry to hear about your problem. There were some photos in the archives posted with the right polarity of wires - red and black I think. I forgot once myself when I was soldering the rear bumper and I went back and looked.

        All the best partner!

        IGGY
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2005
          Update - I found a new board on ebay, so I purchased that, hooked
          everything up (though I didn't put the case back together...just pulled
          the connector board out and hooked it up). Still nothing.

          Would another bad board (other than the main board) keep the display
          from lighting up, or is that likely a problem with either the
          controller or the main board? Obviously there could be something wrong
          with the board I've purchased, but I suspect the controller was damaged.

          I have a multimeter...does anyone know if there's somewhere I could
          test voltage to try to determine if the board seems good or not? Is
          there any way I can test the controller?

          Anyone have any ideas? As always, your feedback is appreciated.
        • patheticforums
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2005
            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Sumpter" <csum77@y...> wrote:
            > Update - I found a new board on ebay, so I purchased that, hooked
            > everything up (though I didn't put the case back together...just pulled
            > the connector board out and hooked it up). Still nothing.
            >
            > Would another bad board (other than the main board) keep the display
            > from lighting up, or is that likely a problem with either the
            > controller or the main board? Obviously there could be something wrong
            > with the board I've purchased, but I suspect the controller was damaged.
            >
            > I have a multimeter...does anyone know if there's somewhere I could
            > test voltage to try to determine if the board seems good or not? Is
            > there any way I can test the controller?
            >
            > Anyone have any ideas? As always, your feedback is appreciated.

            Hate to ask this but did you check the fuse in the battery case?
          • Matt
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
              Charlie,

              See my response at the bottom of this email.

              Matt

              --- Charlie Sumpter <csum77@...> wrote:

              > Update - I found a new board on ebay, so I purchased
              > that, hooked everything up (though I didn't put the
              case back together...just pulled > the connector board
              out and hooked it up). Still
              > nothing.
              >
              > Would another bad board (other than the main board)
              > keep the display
              > from lighting up, or is that likely a problem with
              > either the
              > controller or the main board? Obviously there could
              > be something wrong
              > with the board I've purchased, but I suspect the
              > controller was damaged.
              >
              > I have a multimeter...does anyone know if there's
              > somewhere I could
              > test voltage to try to determine if the board seems
              > good or not? Is
              > there any way I can test the controller?
              >
              > Anyone have any ideas? As always, your feedback is
              > appreciated.

              When you reversed polarity you could have fried the
              connectors board or charred wires or wire connections.
              Finding the sources of these problem(s) is a process
              of elimination. Check the continuity (or resistance =
              zero ohms) of each wire when it is unconnected and
              when it is connected.

              Regarding your connectors board (where all of the
              fuses are mounted)....your process of elimination is
              hampered when you have only no extra connectors board
              to try out.

              Give me a call...I can help you more over the phone.

              Matt Cooper, owner
              www.automatetools.com
              Home and Business Automation
              A Friendly Robotics Robomower Authorized Dealer - Robomower Product Gift Cards
              (Products & Repair Service - - User serviceable parts and RL500 eprom software upgrades)
              email: mattcoop@...
              Cingular Cell Phone: (214) 538-0409
              Toll Free:1-(888) TOOLMATE or 1-888-866-5628
            • cody2milton
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2005
                The Ambrogio Evolution has some type of circuit protection against
                this operator error. Don't ask me how I know...

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, yho.mysticturner@d... wrote:

                > How about buying an Ambrogio Evolution? We all want to
                > know how well it works!
                >
                > (I noticed you didn't specify Helpful ideas Charlie)
                >
                > Good luck figuring it out. Without a detailed schematic and chip
                > specs, it's gonna be difficult. I basically did that same thing
                with
                > a portable VCR (remember the old lugables?) once and luckily
                > I had the full service manual. I was astonished what got blown up
                > when I started putting a scope to it. The damage went way beyond
                > the charred chip.
                >
                > Ken Mays
                > Ambrogio (Senior Antonio) since 120/03

              • cody2milton