Re: Electrical connection of docking station

  • tinapropes
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      That is dissapointing. My docking station is supposed to be delivered
      today and I intend to set it up next to my deck in my backyard. I
      have an outdoor weatherproof electrical outlet next to my deck and I
      had planned on using that outlet to power my docking station. I guess
      I will have to plug it up in the basement and then run the cord out a
      window. That is not a very clean installation. What inventive ideas
      have the rest of you come up with to deal with this problem?

      Thanks,
      William
    • terry_veldhuizen
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        The power supply is not made for outdoor use, but it could be enclosed
        in a weatherproof housing. When you get the power supply, take it to
        Lowes or Home Depot and look at the enclosures in the electrical
        department. You want a enclosure with a cover that has a gasket to
        keep out the rain with the holes for the cables on the bottom. This
        enclosure can be mounted near the outdoor electrical outlet.

        Also, while most outdoor style electrical outlets are weatherproof
        when not in use, many have covers that remain open when in use. This
        will be a permanent installation, so if you have one of this style,
        ask at the hardware store for covers that will keep out the rain while
        in use. There are plastic covers that provide a shroud to keep the
        rain out.

        Hopfully this will go without saying, (Of course, if it goes without
        saying, then why am I saying it?) but all outside (as well as kitchen
        and bathroom) outlets should be properly installed GFI types. These
        are so cheap today that there is no excuse for not using them.

        Good luck
        Terry

      • yho.mysticturner@dfgh.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          My Ambrogio is similar in that the power supply needs to be
          protected. I bought an 12" X 12" X 4" box from Lowe's meant
          for outdoor use and have the bottom wedged open to allow air
          circulation. I'm going to cut ventilation slots in the front to allow
          air to move through, then I can close it up properly. One thing
          I am trying to figure out a better way on is the heat issue. In the
          Texas sun this thing is cooking. It's hard to open it up during
          the day, the metal is so hot (why I started wedging it open on
          the bottom instead of screwing it down). I'm considering some
          sort of a cloth awning over it to block the direct sun. Anyway,
          if I had to do it over, I would have put the plug in a different
          location (we built the house and I located this plug just for my
          Ambrogio) - a shaded location.

          Ken
          Ambrogio (Senior Antonio) since 12/03

          addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

        • tysamigo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
            The power supply that comes with the Docking Station is water resistant.
            Personally I have mine outside on a small shelf I mounted on the wall. It is
            exposed to the elements however there is a roof over this area but rain still
            touches the unit. I have to watch what I recommend to others, but personally
            I don't mind taking risks to learn. So far, so good, but from a
            professional standing, I would recommend protecting the power supply from the elements.

            Tyler

          • tysamigo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2005
              William,

              The power supply is rated for outdoor use.

              Tyler