Re: Electrical connection of docking station

  • Bob and Barbara
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31 6:12 PM
      Carol, The docking station is weather proof and will even survive a
      blowing rain thunder storm.
      The power supply for the docking station is not weather proof at
      all and needs to be plugged inside the house or garage and not just
      covered. It also needs to be in an open area for ventilation because
      of heat. The power supply has about 45 ft of low voltage(40v)wire
      that's sufficient to get to the docking station.

      If you have 2 acres of actual grass to mow, you will need atleast
      2-3 Robos. One Robo can handle about 3/4 acre made into 2-3 zones.

      I have 3/4 of an acre of grass to mow and my Robo RL1000 was doing
      a good job with 2 zones during the summer(early June)and up to now.
      I beleive my Robo could handle my yard even in the fast growing
      spring time, but would be mowing several days a week. Something like
      mow 2 days, 1 day off, mow 2 days,1 day off. Only problem with that
      is the 7 day automatic programing. Doesn't work out?
      Since then I have bought a 2nd RL1000 to handle 1/2 of the yard
      while the other does the other half. That way I can be more flexible
      in automatic programming. Also less strain, wear and tear on the 1
      Robo.

      Hope that answers your questions.
      Bob
      "Making Your Fantasy into a Reality"
      Fashion Fantasy Lingerie
      Day and Night Erotic Attire & Accessories
      Manassas, Va www.fashionfantasylingerie.com
      1-800-oerotic(637-6842)

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <caprice@q...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the responses to my last question. I'm building a house
      and
      > I'm going to have 2 acres to mow next spring. I've never mowed
      before
      > in my life and I'm not about to start now :-). That's why I'm
      looking
      > into robotic mowers. Of course I also want a robotic vacuum and
      ASIMO
      > to go get my mail and take out the trash. (No I don't really have
      that
      > kind of money).
      >
      > I'm going to have 2 acres to mow. I've read all the posts since
      July
      > (kind of like reading a novel), and of course I've forgotten how
      many
      > acres you guys handle with one mower. Perhaps I'll need two.
      >
      > I get that the docking stations plug into an outside socket. What
      > prevents water from getting in there? Also, does the power supply
      just
      > sit out there exposed to the elements as well?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Carol
    • tinapropes
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        That is dissapointing. My docking station is supposed to be delivered
        today and I intend to set it up next to my deck in my backyard. I
        have an outdoor weatherproof electrical outlet next to my deck and I
        had planned on using that outlet to power my docking station. I guess
        I will have to plug it up in the basement and then run the cord out a
        window. That is not a very clean installation. What inventive ideas
        have the rest of you come up with to deal with this problem?

        Thanks,
        William
      • terry_veldhuizen
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          The power supply is not made for outdoor use, but it could be enclosed
          in a weatherproof housing. When you get the power supply, take it to
          Lowes or Home Depot and look at the enclosures in the electrical
          department. You want a enclosure with a cover that has a gasket to
          keep out the rain with the holes for the cables on the bottom. This
          enclosure can be mounted near the outdoor electrical outlet.

          Also, while most outdoor style electrical outlets are weatherproof
          when not in use, many have covers that remain open when in use. This
          will be a permanent installation, so if you have one of this style,
          ask at the hardware store for covers that will keep out the rain while
          in use. There are plastic covers that provide a shroud to keep the
          rain out.

          Hopfully this will go without saying, (Of course, if it goes without
          saying, then why am I saying it?) but all outside (as well as kitchen
          and bathroom) outlets should be properly installed GFI types. These
          are so cheap today that there is no excuse for not using them.

          Good luck
          Terry

        • yho.mysticturner@dfgh.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            My Ambrogio is similar in that the power supply needs to be
            protected. I bought an 12" X 12" X 4" box from Lowe's meant
            for outdoor use and have the bottom wedged open to allow air
            circulation. I'm going to cut ventilation slots in the front to allow
            air to move through, then I can close it up properly. One thing
            I am trying to figure out a better way on is the heat issue. In the
            Texas sun this thing is cooking. It's hard to open it up during
            the day, the metal is so hot (why I started wedging it open on
            the bottom instead of screwing it down). I'm considering some
            sort of a cloth awning over it to block the direct sun. Anyway,
            if I had to do it over, I would have put the plug in a different
            location (we built the house and I located this plug just for my
            Ambrogio) - a shaded location.

            Ken
            Ambrogio (Senior Antonio) since 12/03

            addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

          • tysamigo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
              The power supply that comes with the Docking Station is water resistant.
              Personally I have mine outside on a small shelf I mounted on the wall. It is
              exposed to the elements however there is a roof over this area but rain still
              touches the unit. I have to watch what I recommend to others, but personally
              I don't mind taking risks to learn. So far, so good, but from a
              professional standing, I would recommend protecting the power supply from the elements.

              Tyler

            • tysamigo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2005
                William,

                The power supply is rated for outdoor use.

                Tyler