Docking issue with RL1000

  • doodieb2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14 11:39 AM
      I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2 tunnels). If I do a
      edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then stops with the
      message "Docking problem". I assume that my perimeter wire is too
      long
      and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to the docking
      station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?

      Any hint is appreciated!
    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14 5:35 PM
        >I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2 tunnels). If I do a
        > edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then stops with the
        > message "Docking problem". I assume that my perimeter wire is too
        > long
        > and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to the docking
        > station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?
        >
        > Any hint is appreciated!

        This happens when you begin mowing on the edge mode when the mower leaves
        the docking station? How long is your wire? It has to be at least
        1,500-2,000 feet to begin giving you any problems but Docking Problem" is
        something else. This is to be logical...

        There is plenty of battery juice left when the mower indicates "charging
        time", it doesn't appear you have this problem. I don't think it matters how
        long it takes the mower to get to the docking station unless the docking
        station shuts off during 5+ hours of mowing. By the way, mowing time doesn't
        begin until the mower leaves the edge - this is how the WORK time works, MAX
        is a bit different but still similar - the docking station counts maybe 5
        hours of total time after the mower leaves the docking station, not the
        actual mowing time.

        I once tried to manually move my RL500 for about 30 min after I completely
        depleted one of my batteries for several times in a row - or so I thought.
        I'd let the mower go for another session after "Charge Battery" indicator
        showed up for maybe 10 times. It mows for 1-3 min every time and then I
        repeat again and again. I then manually moved the mower for 30 min - there
        was plenty of battery left.

        Sincerely,

        IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Northern Virginia & Kansas City
        VA Office: 703-842-3323 Kansas City Office: 913-894-4024
        Direct Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
        Fax toll-free: 1-866-855-3154
        E-mail: iggy.dybal@...
        Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
      • Bob and Barbara
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 15 7:43 AM
          Does it mow 7/8 of the edge? or 7/8 of the yard?

          Does it stop while doing the edging? Or after it has mowed the yard
          and is returning back to the docking station?
          Are there splices in the wire near where it stops?

          What is the Total Length of the perimeter wire? What kind of
          perimeter wire did you use? (Friendly Robotics or something else?)

          Bob

          "Making Your Fantasy into a Reality"
          Fashion Fantasy Lingerie
          Day and Night Erotic Attire & Accessories
          Manassas, Va www.fashionfantasylingerie.com
          1-800-oerotic(637-6842)

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "doodieb2001" <doodieb2001@y...>
          wrote:
          > I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2 tunnels). If I do
          > edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then stops with the
          > message "Docking problem". I assume that my perimeter wire is too
          > long
          > and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to the docking
          > station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?
          >
          > Any hint is appreciated!
        • Bob and Barbara
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 15 7:54 AM
            Iggy, HUH?? What have you been drinking or smoking? <hehe>

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "IGGY & Svetlana"

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15 8:27 AM
              >> There is plenty of battery juice left when the mower
              > indicates "charging time", it doesn't appear you have this problem.
              >
              > By the way, mowing time doesn't begin until the mower leaves the
              > edge - this is how the WORK time works, MAX is a bit different but
              > still similar - the docking station counts maybe 5 hours of total
              > time after the mower leaves the docking station, not the actual
              > mowing time.
              >>
              >> I once tried to manually move my RL500 for about 30 min after I
              > completely depleted one of my batteries for several times in a row -
              > or so I thought.
              >> I'd let the mower go for another session after "Charge Battery"
              > indicator showed up for maybe 10 times. It mows for 1-3 min every
              > time and then I repeat again and again. I then manually moved the
              > mower for 30 min - there was plenty of battery left.

              > Iggy, HUH?? What have you been drinking or smoking? <hehe>>

              The Mowing WORK TIME rather on RL500 doesn't begin till the mower leaves the
              edging mode. If you program a zone for 2 hrs of mowing, it only will begin
              countdown when the mower gets out to scan and not on the edging mode.

              I just went ahead and tried it to see how much battery it holds.

              Sincerely,

              IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Northern Virginia & Kansas City
              VA Office: 703-842-3323 Kansas City Office: 913-894-4024
              Direct Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
              Fax toll-free: 1-866-855-3154
              E-mail: iggy.dybal@...
              Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
                Ater reading your previous post 3 times, I was totally confused..
                Since I have a RL1000 and not a RL500, I wondered if it was just
                me?... LOL

                Bob

                <iggyandsvetlana@e...> wrote:
                > >> There is plenty of battery juice left when the mower
                > > indicates "charging time", it doesn't appear you have this
                problem.

                > > By the way, mowing time doesn't begin until the mower leaves the
                > > edge - this is how the WORK time works, MAX is a bit different
                but
                > > still similar - the docking station counts maybe 5 hours of total
                > > time after the mower leaves the docking station, not the actual
                > > mowing time.
                > >>
                > >> I once tried to manually move my RL500 for about 30 min after I
                > > completely depleted one of my batteries for several times in a
                row -
                > > or so I thought.
                > >> I'd let the mower go for another session after "Charge Battery"
                > > indicator showed up for maybe 10 times. It mows for 1-3 min every
                > > time and then I repeat again and again. I then manually moved the
                > > mower for 30 min - there was plenty of battery left.
                >

                > > Iggy, HUH?? What have you been drinking or smoking? <hehe>>
                >

                > The Mowing WORK TIME rather on RL500 doesn't begin till the mower
                leaves the
                > edging mode. If you program a zone for 2 hrs of mowing, it only
                will begin
                > countdown when the mower gets out to scan and not on the edging
                mode.

                > I just went ahead and tried it to see how much battery it holds.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Northern Virginia & Kansas City
                > VA Office: 703-842-3323 Kansas City Office: 913-894-4024
                > Direct Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
                > Fax toll-free: 1-866-855-3154
                > E-mail: iggy.dybal@r...
                > Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
              • IGGY & Svetlana
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15 2:38 PM
                  From: "Bob and Barbara" <eventtravelers@...>
                  > Ok, Now that makes sense...
                  >
                  > Ater reading your previous post 3 times, I was totally confused..
                  > Since I have a RL1000 and not a RL500, I wondered if it was just
                  > me?... LOL

                  RL1000 also should have WORK TIME settings for separate zones where you take
                  it out manually to the zone.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16 8:31 AM
                    Here are more details:

                    it mows 7/8 of the edge, it did not start to mow the yard yet. The
                    total lenght of the perimeter wire is probably close to 1500ft
                    (haven`t measured it though) and I used Friendly Robotics wire with
                    3 splices (also the ones from Friendly). There are no splices near
                    where it stops but the lawn slopes slightly and there is an almost
                    90° turn in the perimeter wire.

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Barbara"
                    <eventtravelers@a...> wrote:
                    > Does it mow 7/8 of the edge? or 7/8 of the yard?
                    >
                    > Does it stop while doing the edging? Or after it has mowed the
                    yard
                    > and is returning back to the docking station?
                    > Are there splices in the wire near where it stops?
                    >
                    > What is the Total Length of the perimeter wire? What kind of
                    > perimeter wire did you use? (Friendly Robotics or something else?)
                    >
                    > Bob
                    >
                    > "Making Your Fantasy into a Reality"
                    > Fashion Fantasy Lingerie
                    > Day and Night Erotic Attire & Accessories
                    > Manassas, Va www.fashionfantasylingerie.com
                    > 1-800-oerotic(637-6842)
                    >

                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "doodieb2001" <doodieb2001@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2 tunnels). If I
                    do
                    > > edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then stops with the
                    > > message "Docking problem". I assume that my perimeter wire is too
                    > > long
                    > > and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to the docking
                    > > station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?
                    > >
                    > > Any hint is appreciated!
                  • Bob and Barbara
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16 11:13 AM
                      Just what I thought.. You are experincing some of the same problems
                      I encountered with my new RL1000. The edging/docking problem is a
                      glitch in the programing and shows up for larger than postage stamp
                      yards. The 90 degree turn or slight slope is not the problem. My
                      Robo is climbing slopes greater than 20 degrees with no problem.

                      I can almost bet your "Software version" is 4.1-05. You need the
                      new chip (4.1/05) in your RL1000. Contact Roy at Friendly Robotics
                      at 888-404-7626 or support@....

                      One thing I found about the new RL1000,, Robo doesn't like the
                      perimeter wire loose or sticking up off the ground 1-2 inches. Make
                      sure all your wire is tight and laying as close to the ground as
                      possible. You can get the "docking problem" because of that also.
                      Hint: If the wire is laying up in the grass, take a rake and rake
                      straight on top of the wire going in the same direction the wire is.
                      This will allow the wire to "drop" onto the ground. Then peg it down.

                      In the meantime while your waiting on getting the new chip, when
                      Robo acts up, manually drive robo away from the perimeter wire about
                      6ft, point robo to that same area and just push "go" one time.
                      This will give robo the command to "edge" and after it gets back to
                      the docking station, will back out in about a second then follow the
                      perimeter wire to the next entry point, turn in and start mowing the
                      yard. Unless you have another problem that should atleast let you
                      mow the grass.

                      If that doesn't work then you have a perimeter wire length issue
                      also like I did. I know of the problem, Found what is causing it?
                      and the Fix for it.(My fix anyway) Friendly Robotics Now knows of
                      the problem too and are working on it.
                      I too have 1800 ft of perimeter wire down.

                      Let me know if that helps, If not repost your findings? problem
                      details?

                      wrote:
                      > Here are more details:
                      >
                      > it mows 7/8 of the edge, it did not start to mow the yard yet. The
                      > total lenght of the perimeter wire is probably close to 1500ft
                      > (haven`t measured it though) and I used Friendly Robotics wire
                      with
                      > 3 splices (also the ones from Friendly). There are no splices near
                      > where it stops but the lawn slopes slightly and there is an almost
                      > 90° turn in the perimeter wire.
                      >

                      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Barbara"
                      > <eventtravelers@a...> wrote:
                      > > Does it mow 7/8 of the edge? or 7/8 of the yard?
                      > >
                      > > Does it stop while doing the edging? Or after it has mowed the
                      > yard
                      > > and is returning back to the docking station?
                      > > Are there splices in the wire near where it stops?
                      > >
                      > > What is the Total Length of the perimeter wire? What kind of
                      > > perimeter wire did you use? (Friendly Robotics or something
                      else?)

                      > > Bob
                      > >
                      > > "Making Your Fantasy into a Reality"
                      > > Fashion Fantasy Lingerie
                      > > Day and Night Erotic Attire & Accessories
                      > > Manassas, Va www.fashionfantasylingerie.com
                      > > 1-800-oerotic(637-6842)
                      > >

                      > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "doodieb2001"
                      <doodieb2001@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2 tunnels). If
                      > do
                      > > > edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then stops with
                      the
                      > > > message "Docking problem". I assume that my perimeter wire is
                      too
                      > > > long
                      > > > and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to the docking
                      > > > station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?
                      > > >
                      > > > Any hint is appreciated!
                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16 9:19 PM
                        Please try out this solution before you try anything
                        else....

                        You need to set Edge to Dock to ON.....

                        Matt
                        www.automatetools.com

                        href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hsp73pr/M=362343.6886680.7839639.2920218/D=groups/S=1705041687:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124071473/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com">Make
                        > a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects
                        > at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>

                      • doodieb2001
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 17 9:47 AM
                          Where do I set this option, I could not find it even after having
                          read the manual three times :-(

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Matt <mattcoop@s...> wrote:
                          > Please try out this solution before you try anything
                          > else....
                          >
                          > You need to set Edge to Dock to ON.....
                          >
                          > Matt
                          > www.automatetools.com
                          >
                          > --- doodieb2001 <doodieb2001@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have a RL1000 and set up my yard in 3 zones (2
                          > > tunnels). If I do a
                          > > edge trim the RL1000 will mow about 7/8 and then
                          > > stops with the
                          > > message "Docking problem". I assume that my
                          > > perimeter wire is too
                          > > long
                          > > and it takes the Robomower too long to get back to
                          > > the docking
                          > > station. Any ideas how this can be resolved?
                          > >
                          > > Any hint is appreciated!

                          > > --------------------~-->

                          href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hsp73pr/M=362343.6886680.7839639.
                          2920218/D=groups/S=1705041687:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124071473/A=2894350/R=0
                          /SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com">Make
                          > > a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects
                          > > at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>

                        • Bob and Barbara
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 17 11:24 AM
                            It's not mentioned at all in the manual. That setting "edge to dock"
                            is under the "Service" menu on the controller but is "not accessible
                            to user" password is required..

                            Have you called Roy at FR Support yet?
                            He will send you a new upgraded chip and motor removal tool to get
                            to the motherboard.

                            Bob

                          • tysamigo@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 17 2:16 PM
                              No need to phone Roy, you are welcome to phone us and we will be glad to
                              help.

                              Thank you
                              Best Regards,

                              Tyler Ramage
                              Public Affairs
                              Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                              Robo Direct Inc.
                              P: 502.742.ROBO (7626)
                              F: 502.968.9109
                              _tyler@..._ (mailto:tyler@...)
                              _www.robodirect.com_ (http://www.robodirect.com)

                              In a message dated 8/17/2005 2:58:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              eventtravelers@... writes:

                              It's not mentioned at all in the manual. That setting "edge to dock"
                              is under the "Service" menu on the controller but is "not accessible
                              to user" password is required..

                              Have you called Roy at FR Support yet?
                              He will send you a new upgraded chip and motor removal tool to get
                              to the motherboard.

                              Bob

                            • arpennycuff
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
                                I was having the same docking problem with my new RL1000 so after
                                reading some posts in this group I went into the service menu using
                                password 12321 and set edge to dock ON. That takes care of the
                                problem but can someone explain to me what this setting is for and
                                why does it come from the factory with it set to OFF?

                                Tony