Re: RE: Isolating a Charging Problem - New RL800

  • Iggy & Svetlana
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
      Keep the perimeter switch up, don't lay it down - I think the manual is
      specific about it. I had to replace one too due to water damage. I think I
      left it laying on the grass and it rained that day.

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal

      Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

      E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
      Fax: 913-322-4162
    • tony_e_nc
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Taylor" <jtfrog@u...> wrote:
        > I had a similar problem with a new perimeter switch. I took it
        > apart, and it turned out to be full of water (from a sprinkler).
        > Once I dried it out and put it back together it came back to life.
        <snip>

        You were correct. I opened it up, poured out the water and noticed
        some slight rust forming around the pushbutton. I dried it out,
        cleaned it up, and then tried willing it back to life, for a few
        days. No luck. I have a replacement coming, and also ordered a
        spare.

        The manual is clear with the warning, but this one only lasted about
        a week, so I am now a bit paranoid, and moisture aversive. When
        mounted correctly (vertical), but exposed to the weather, does the
        switch generally handle even heavy rain?

        I don't want to over-engineer a solution, if this was simply my
        failure to have it mounted upright. I was just testing the front
        zone when the storm hit, and had not yet mounted the switch.

        Though it was under the cover of my front porch, by the next morning,
        it was dead in the water, quite literally. Would adding some sort of
        a protective cover be complete overkill?
      • tony_e_nc
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"
          <terry_veldhuizen@y...> wrote:
          > I seem to remember another thread in which the owner purchased the
          > mower from Amazon that had a problem and Amazon replaced the whole
          > mower. Since you now have two problems, why not ask Anazon to
          > replace the entire unit. Both problems solved and you can be back
          > on your way to impressing the neigbors in no time.
          >
          > Terry

          This was good advice. I tried to work through the issues, but ended
          up taking this path. Amazon customer service took good care of me,
          and sent out UPS to pick up the defective unit.

          I expect the replacement to arrive on Monday, and if all goes as
          planned, I should be able to mow the lawn, and not miss any of the
          games on Sundays. If they would only come out with the robo-
          snowblower, FR would have me covered through the entire NFL season.

          Thanks for the reply.

          - Tony