Question on low cut blades and wheels

  • son_of_south
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have just received my RL1000 from Costco. There are a couple of
      points in the operating manual that I don't understand.

      The manual refers to "high cut blades" and "low cut blades"

      Are these two different sets of blades? Are both sets supposed to come
      with the machine. How do I know which blades came with my machine?

      The manual also says, on page 33, "small wheels have three height
      positions" What small wheels are they talking about?

      Also, they say to put the perimeter wire about 12" from a driveway or
      sidewalk if it is approximately level with the grass. However, if the
      mower cuts 21", and the perimeter wire is in the middle of the mower,
      that would mean it would cut 10 1/2" inches on each side of the wire.
      This would leave 1 1/2" of uncut grass along the driveway/sidewalk.
      Does that really happen?

      Any help on the above will be appreciated.
    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        From: "son_of_south" <rdavis@...>
        > The manual refers to "high cut blades" and "low cut blades"
        > Are these two different sets of blades? Are both sets supposed to come
        > with the machine. How do I know which blades came with my machine?

        You get "high cut blades" - low cut blades are angled at a shaper angle.

        > The manual also says, on page 33, "small wheels have three height
        > positions" What small wheels are they talking about?

        3 heights for rear wheels for Europe only. US has 2 settings for rear
        wheels.

        > Also, they say to put the perimeter wire about 12" from a driveway or
        > sidewalk if it is approximately level with the grass. However, if the
        > mower cuts 21", and the perimeter wire is in the middle of the mower,
        > that would mean it would cut 10 1/2" inches on each side of the wire.
        > This would leave 1 1/2" of uncut grass along the driveway/sidewalk.
        > Does that really happen?

        I have actually palced my wire closer to the driveway so I don't have to
        weed wack it. The mower goes over the driveway about 1/4 of the mower width.
        No problem. I think FR wants to cover itself for liability if your mower
        hits someones car or runs over someone's cat sleepping on the driveway.

        "Turning Your Home Dream into Reality"

        Sincerely Yours,

        IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Northern Virginia & Kansas City
        Direct Office: 703-944-9095 Direct Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
        Fax toll-free: 1-866-855-3154
        E-mail: iggykc@...
        Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
      • tsl902003
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
          The mower comes with regular "high cut" blades. The low cuts can be
          purchaced extra. I'm thinking of trying some but most people do fine
          with the regulars from what I can tell.

          I'm not exactly sure what you're describing with the mower height.
          My RL800 has 2 positions in the rear and I think 4 in the front,
          which I assume is the small wheel.

          I don't remember the exact measurements but I put the wire closer to
          the driveway than recommended to be sure I got it all cut. I highly
          recommend starting with one zone and experimenting for a few mowing
          sessions before you settle on your wire placement. I took a fair bit
          of effort to try to minimize the amount of edging I'd have to do and
          I wish I'd taken even more time now. See what works best for your
          yard.

          TL

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
            I for a driveway or walk, I put the wire 1 peg length away from the edge.

            For a flower bed (soft edge) I put the wire 2 peg lengths from the edge.

            For a hard edge (wall) I put the wire 3 and a little (about 3.5) peg lengths
            from the edge.

            YMMV.

            Dan

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
              I agree with Thomas....For most lawns the standard cut
              blades work well enough and the customer need not
              bother with the low cut blades. In fact, that is what
              standard blades are what I recommend for standard
              lawns. The low cut blades are a last resort in the
              following circumstances:

              A)For lawns in which weeding had been difficult and
              the weeds have large blades that run horisontal or 45
              degrees from vertical. The standard cut blades just
              do not protrude far enough out of the blade well to
              cut these long horizontal weeds and the mower passes
              over these weeds and hardly cuts them (even at
              different directions).

              B)The low cut blades allow the Robomower user to raise
              the mower's front bumper - - allowing it to bump
              against/sense trees with angled trunk bases.

              If your lawn meets these requirements, then by all
              means, buy a set of low cut blades the next time you
              mow or the next time you feel you need to replace your
              blades due to wear...

              Matt Cooper
              www.automatetools.com

              href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h0jo270/M=362339.6886523.7841161.2920218/D=groups/S=1705041687:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1122959112/A=2894633/R=0/SIG=10pkrq6ru/*http://www.drugfree.org">Drug