RE: [RoboMower] Re: Oh Oh, Houston we have a problem!

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Clint,

      I think the book says the doc only stays on 5 hours, but I don't have it
      handy to confirm.

      That wouldn't be an issue, except that the choices for "run time" don't
      include, say, 4 hours. In fact, as I recall they stop at 2 hours.

      Since the perimeter turns off when the mower docks I really wonder why they
      don't set that limit very high (8 hours) so there is no chance the mower
      will run out of time before getting home.

      Dan

    • Austin Morgan
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
        The perimeter timer on the docking station is on a five hour timer. I
        have had a similar problem with my 1000, but it only happens intermittently.

        Austin

        Clint D wrote:
        > I'm not 100% sure that the docking perimeter timer is
        > set at 5 hours. I just know that the switches are set
        > at 5 hours.
        >
        > Word of wisdom: Next season, your battery life will
        > probably not last 5 hours. I wouldn't depend on the
        > mower running 5 hour forever. It's nothing wrong with
        > having a 1/2 acre zone as long as you're prepared to
        > run it consecutive times. If it takes 5 hours to mow
        > 11k sqft in one session, in the future that same zone
        > will take up to 2 mowing sessions because your mowing
        > times will may stable off at around 3-4 hours after a
        > while. In your case I would replace the batteries when
        > the times dip below 2 hours. :)
        >
        > So far, I'm very impressed with the Green mowers.
        > There was a big improvement in their cutting ability!
        >

        > --- Bob and Barbara <eventtravelers@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Ok? So what do I do about this 5 hour timer? It
        >> makes Robos self
        >> docking useless if I have to go retreive it every
        >> time so that it
        >> ends up back at the dock for charging. The manual
        >> says don't leave
        >> robo off charge for a long period of time(6 hours I
        >> beleive) after
        >> full mowing operation.
        >> If I plan to mow at night while I'm alseep, it too
        >> would go to sleep
        >> someplace in the yard and not be where is suppose to
        >> be charging.

      • IGGY & Svetlana
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
          It would be nice if RL1000 docking station would turn itself off when the
          mower is on the station and not in 5 hours. But I'd think they would have
          thought of this? \
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
            I'll double check, but I'm sure the docking station does turn the perimeter
            wire off when the mower docks. That is, it turns off in 5 hours or when
            docked whichever comes first.

          • Bob and Barbara
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
              Dan and Iggy, Earlier this morning I did call Roy at FR Support, and
              he told me that the docking station indeed does have a 5 hour Timer.
              He was on his way out of town and on his cell phone and going
              through a bad area, so comm. was in and out. Of course that was
              before finding my new problem.

              What he said was basically FR didn't expect Robo to mow 5 hrs or
              more. DUH!! Now that's a good one...
              If your making all these new changes, upgrades, power management,
              scan accuracy for Robo to be more efficient, Why not bump up
              the "time out" feature? Or do away with it? It can't be that hard of
              a fix...
              May be the reason FR doesn't put 20AH batteries in Robo.

              Kind of makes you wonder what FR is smoking these days!! LOL :-)

              Bob

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@B...> wrote:
              > I'll double check, but I'm sure the docking station does turn the
              perimeter
              > wire off when the mower docks. That is, it turns off in 5 hours
              or when
              > docked whichever comes first.

            • IGGY & Svetlana
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                > Dan and Iggy, Earlier this morning I did call Roy at FR Support, and
                > he told me that the docking station indeed does have a 5 hour Timer.
                > He was on his way out of town and on his cell phone and going
                > through a bad area, so comm. was in and out. Of course that was
                > before finding my new problem.
                >
                > What he said was basically FR didn't expect Robo to mow 5 hrs or
                > more. DUH!! Now that's a good one...
                > If your making all these new changes, upgrades, power management,
                > scan accuracy for Robo to be more efficient, Why not bump up
                > the "time out" feature? Or do away with it? It can't be that hard of
                > a fix...
                > May be the reason FR doesn't put 20AH batteries in Robo.
                >
                > Kind of makes you wonder what FR is smoking these days!! LOL :-)

                With the docking station being hard wired to electric outlet, there is no
                reason whey they even need the 5 hour limit on the docking station being on.
                The perimeter switch had originally 2.5-3 hours, they then bumped it to 5
                hours to conserve battery power for the batteries in the switch. I think the
                batteries normally last 1 season in my experience, so I don't think there is
                a huge problem with this.

                The docking station switch is not connected in any way in performance to the
                mower I understand so there is no issue with 5+ hours.

                "Turning Your Home Dream into Reality"

                Sincerely Yours,

                IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX - Northern Virginia & Kansas City
                Direct Office: 703-944-9095 Direct Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449
                Fax toll-free: 1-866-855-3154
                E-mail: iggykc@...
                Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
              • markfromminnesota
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Barbara"
                  <eventtravelers@a...> wrote:

                  >Kind of makes you wonder what FR is smoking these days!! LOL :-)
                  > Bob

                  That's one's easy... thy're smoking GRASS!!! Get it?!!? LOL!
                • markfromminnesota
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2005
                      I was wrong about the docking station turning off the perimeter wire when
                      the mower docks. I was sure it did, but it doesn't.

                      I set two mowers in the same zone this evening and just noticed that the one
                      that docks in it finished and docked. The other mower was still mowing.
                      Sure enough, the dock is still powering the perimeter wire.

                      Dan