Re: My Robo is here!!

  • Bob and Barbara
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 31, 2005
      Clint, I only made the one zone (Docking zone) as stated in previous
      message... 11,200 square feet total (see drawing "2 zones Will this
      work)in the files section. The zone consisted of Front yard, Right
      side yard, and Partial Back yard. This was the only zone it ran in.
      Reread my post #7733 from last night as far as now much time Robo
      ran. It's the 4th paragraph down in the message. A lot of battery
      time was wasted with several test perimeter runs, also stopping it
      and having it "go to dock" and also figuring entry points.

      I stopped it because I was in the garage palleting a new yard
      vaccum for return and noticed Robo was heading for the front yard
      again. I couldn't leave Robo cutting unattended up in that area
      because of all the problem areas. When I intercepted Robo, I just
      had it "go to dock" for the night. It still was going strong and
      cutting, so I have no idea of just how much battery time was left.

      I think a good idea for FR would be to put some sort of "remaining
      battery charge left" meter either on the manual controler or maybe
      on Robo itself. Like we have on cell phones and all other electronic
      gadgets. That way you would know just how much more cutting can be
      accomplished or give you the option to move Robo manually to an area
      that needs more attention and let it finish in the area before the
      battery runs out of charge.

      Since I didn't let Robo finish, I have areas that were cut
      completely, almost complete and not so well. I made a drawing
      showing what Robo did and put it in the files section under "1st
      attempt results".
      The back was cut completely(3 passes)... Part of the Side and part
      of Front was cut mostly with a few patches here and there(2passes...
      The other areas of front and side had a lot of uncut grass(1 pass).
      But Robo was heading straight for those areas when I stopped it.
      So??, Don't know and can't give you an honest report.
      I plan on putting down the perimeter wire around all flower beds
      and cutting the whole lawn with my lawn tractor before I make the
      next attempt. That way Robo will start from scratch with
      no "bumping/pushing/climbing" issues. I plan to keep that zone at
      it's present size.. From what I've seen so far I think the New Robo
      has a good chance of accomplishing it.

      Clint, I have an idea of why the programing but also why Robo can
      get quite aggressive! I think it's because of the small degree of
      turn when it comes to the perimeter wire or bumps. It seems that it
      wants to track side by side(parallel) of the last cutting path. On
      contact with the the perimeter wire, Robo stops, makes a slight
      turning degree adjustment, changes direction and goes not quite 2
      feet, then makes another slight degree adjustment while moving
      making it mowing right next to it's last cut path. This operation is
      soooo gentle and precise almost flawless. However, when Robo bumps
      something it has to "think" for a second or so then you can see it
      trying to compensate the best it can but doesn't go at the same
      precise angle. Usually wider.

      I think the bummer sensers are either too high up in the bumper and
      from ground level especially on the back or not enough of them?
      Every time Robo climbed the landscaping tie and proceeded into the
      flowerbed it was in the reverse direction. No! the sensors did not
      stop Robo and neither did the landscaping ties. The ties are 4 1/2
      to 5" high. With those knobby tires Robo is strong!!
      Although I have the cutting height set at 3 1/2"(recommended by
      Scotts) and the ground clearance set at high (recommended by FRs
      manual). I also thought I would need the higher clearance because of
      Maple tree roots and a little rougher terrain in the back yard.
      Maybe not? I am going to experiment with that setting and try the
      lower one. Too bad there isn't one in between as I think that would
      be ideal

      Has anyone else experinced the pegs top breaking off when your
      hammering them into the ground? I broke about 15 out of 100 used?

      Bob

    • Clint D
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
        Bob, it's best to put the pegs in damp soil. Otherwise
        they will break fairly easy.

        I looked at your file and I see that it mowed the
        front yard pretty good. When you say three passes, are
        you meaning that just that... or are you meaning it
        left the docking station and went to that section 3
        times before finishing?

        Keep us posted... have you had a chance to run it
        again yet?

        === message truncated ===

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Bob and Barbara
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
          Clint, My soil is mostly clay and Not Moist. In the summer without
          much rain, my ground gets baked by the sun, has 1/4" to 3/4" cracks
          in it and is as hard as concrete. We found an alternative to the
          plastic pegs>>> metal Weed Control Fabric spikes... Works well
          around tree roots also!

          Looking at my drawing file you will see colored in areas. Robo cut
          the back yard exceptional(fully filled in yellow) of course all the
          entry points are there. Actually spent too much time back there. The
          front yard was cut pretty good(semi colored in), and that one section
          (I left white) was cut so so.
          By "Passes" I mean the amount of times Robo actually traveled
          over/cut that area.
          Robo only left the docking station once, did the edge mode and then
          went into the scan mode cutting the grass.
          Because of previous reasons stated, I had to stop Robo manually and
          send it back to Docking Station that night.

          I did run it on Sunday. Watch for that new thread here.
          Bob

          PS: found this article today on Forbes... Good reading Material
          http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/06/30/05luxrobotsland.html?
          partner=netscape

          I guess we are all "hobbists and high-end gadget enthusiasts". LOL

        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
            Bob, have you figured out how to tell the mower what
            time you want it to mow yet? Have you setup the
            correct entry points for your zones yet?

            Our soil here is clay as well. All it takes is a few
            weeks with no rain and it's cracking too. You may want
            to water your lawn before putting down the stakes. I
            find that with wet clay, I rarely needed to hammer
            them in. They sunk straight by pushing. :)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bob and Barbara
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
              Clint, Yes, I read about programing times in, but need to address a
              couple perimeter wire clearance areas yet(especially in corners)
              before I go fully automatic. Pushing the "Go button" is not really
              that involved.. LOL

              No, I haven't but I am going to do that now since this last test
              run. Read post "Oh Oh, Houston we have a problem". I think there's a
              lot of info you and maybe others were waiting for.

              Our clay is already getting hard. Not much rain and seering Heat.

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 1, 2005
                Damp soil is best, but sometimes there are just "hard places" anyway. I
                have an old drive bed from a house that was on the lot previously. It was a
                good one apparently<g>. A cordless drill with a long bit is good for
                drilling pilot holes in very hard ground. Use a masonary bit or an old bit
                you don't intend to use on anything useful again<g>.

                As to breaking pegs, I've found there are more than one type of peg. The
                "new" pegs that came with my mower are about perfect. They are flexible
                enough that they don't "break", though they will bend if you hit them hard
                enough. I also ran across some very brittle pegs I bought online. Those
                are fine in soft ground, but break easily if you look at them wrong. The
                brittle pegs came in bags with a paper tag at the top, apparently older
                stuff. I've since bought some others online and they were fine.

                FWIW, I also pegged out another zone yesterday afternoon. I don't have the
                dimensions handy, but I can tell you that you can ask too much of the
                mowers. I started the mowers after dark, dew starting to form, and the St
                Augustine grass (well watered and fertilized) was higher than the mower
                wheels. The mowers worked fine in forward, but when they tried backing over
                the heavy stuff they'd climb on top of the grass and the wheels would
                spin<lol>. I manually mowed stripes in the heaviest grass using only
                forward, then turned them loose again and they managed to keep going.

                Dan