Re: downloading the software

  • torontoarrow
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2003
      ya I meant reverse engineering it and taking the code out but all I
      wanted to change was the little things nothing to drastic
      I wasn't wanting to do it for money only for fun in my spare time

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"
      <terry_veldhuizen@y...> wrote:
      > Have you located a place to download the source code, or do you
      mean
      > the object code in the mower? If you located the source code, let
      me
      > know where, I love to tinker with things. If you mean the object
      code
      > and you mean reverse engineering, no thank you, been there done
      that,
      > not enough money in it.
      >
      > Terry
      >

      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "torontoarrow" <jimmy@g...>
      wrote:
      > > I was just wondering if anyone has tried downloading the
      firmware
      > > and modifying it recompiling it and uploading it back to the
      > > robomower. I got bought a robomower last week and the sounds
      that
      > > it plays during startup get old really quick I know I can turn
      them
      > > off but I was thinking what if I replaced the midi file with the
      > > terminator 2 theme now that would be cool
    • tester3se
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2003
        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "torontoarrow" <jimmy@g...> wrote:
        > I was just wondering if anyone has tried downloading the firmware
        > and modifying it recompiling it and uploading it back to the
        > robomower. I got bought a robomower last week and the sounds that
        > it plays during startup get old really quick I know I can turn them
        > off but I was thinking what if I replaced the midi file with the
        > terminator 2 theme now that would be cool

        This could of course be done. The flash holding the sounds which I
        guess is some kind of simple binary waveform (not MIDI) is located
        inside the handcontroler.

        By using a "ordinary" flash programmer and a PC you should be able to
        read and modify it by the so underestimated "trial and error"
        method ;-)

        However far more interesting would be if someone could upload a RL800
        flash from the mainboard. I would not be surprised if it turns a 500
        into a 800...
      • Iggy & Svetlana
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2003
          > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "torontoarrow" <jimmy@g...> wrote:
          > > I was just wondering if anyone has tried downloading the firmware
          > > and modifying it recompiling it and uploading it back to the
          > > robomower. I got bought a robomower last week and the sounds that
          > > it plays during startup get old really quick I know I can turn them
          > > off but I was thinking what if I replaced the midi file with the
          > > terminator 2 theme now that would be cool
          >
          > This could of course be done. The flash holding the sounds which I
          > guess is some kind of simple binary waveform (not MIDI) is located
          > inside the handcontroler.
          >
          > By using a "ordinary" flash programmer and a PC you should be able to
          > read and modify it by the so underestimated "trial and error"
          > method ;-)
          >
          > However far more interesting would be if someone could upload a RL800
          > flash from the mainboard. I would not be surprised if it turns a 500
          > into a 800...

          I'll send this e-mail to Friendly Robotics to find out if "breaking the
          code" of 800 and downloading it to 500 would work.

          Logically, this should not be a problem if you know what you are doing - I
          don't :o) - I am just thinking it's possible.

          The hardware must be the same or similar for RL500 and 800 except for the
          "learn edge" feature "anti-theft" and the "wide angle mode". The software is
          the key, no doubt, but there maybe some other components that handle RL800
          and 500 doesn't have? Have no idea. I'll ask.

          Sincerely,

          IGGY Dybal

          Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

          E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
          Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
          Fax: 913-322-4162
        • Robert H. Warnke
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2003
            FYI,

            I sent my RL500 in for repair and they replaced the
            board with an RL550 board. I was told that the only
            difference in mine, with the new board, and a "real"
            RL550 is the motors. Based on that, I would assume at
            least the motors are different in the RL800.

            Robert Warnke
            --- Iggy & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...>

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • robomow@dougbishop.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2003
              I was told that the RL550 is (essentially) a RL800 in a RL500 shell.  Something about availability of parts when they were rolled out.

              From "Robert H. Warnke" <robertwarnke@...> on 4 Aug 2003:

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
                It definitly has more efficient software now. It
                turns on the wire now instead of doing the "Y" it did
                before the board replacement. However, it does not
                have the menu options and features that the RL800 has.

                --- robomow@... wrote:

                ---------------------------------

                I was told that the RL550 is (essentially) a RL800 in
                a RL500 shell. Something about availability of parts
                when they were rolled out.

                From "Robert H. Warnke" <robertwarnke@...> on 4
                Aug 2003:
                > I sent my RL500 in for repair and they replaced the
                board with an RL550 board.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                Terms of Service.

                <robertwarnke.at.yahoo.com@...>

                <RoboMower.at.yahoogroups.com@...>

                ---------------------------------

                wrote:

                > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "torontoarrow"
                > <jimmy@g...> wrote:
                > > > I was just wondering if anyone has tried
                > downloading the firmware
                > > > and modifying it recompiling it and uploading it
                > back to the
                > > > robomower. I got bought a robomower last week
                > and the sounds that
                > > > it plays during startup get old really quick I
                > know I can turn them
                > > > off but I was thinking what if I replaced the
                > midi file with the
                > > > terminator 2 theme now that would be cool
                > >
                > > This could of course be done. The flash holding
                > the sounds which I
                > > guess is some kind of simple binary waveform (not
                > MIDI) is located
                > > inside the handcontroler.
                > >
                > > By using a "ordinary" flash programmer and a PC
                > you should be able to
                > > read and modify it by the so underestimated "trial
                > and error"
                > > method ;-)
                > >
                > > However far more interesting would be if someone
                > could upload a RL800
                > > flash from the mainboard. I would not be surprised
                > if it turns a 500
                > > into a 800...
                >

                > I'll send this e-mail to Friendly Robotics to find
                > out if "breaking the
                > code" of 800 and downloading it to 500 would work.
                >
                > Logically, this should not be a problem if you know
                > what you are doing - I
                > don't :o) - I am just thinking it's possible.
                >
                > The hardware must be the same or similar for RL500
                > and 800 except for the
                > "learn edge" feature "anti-theft" and the "wide
                > angle mode". The software is
                > the key, no doubt, but there maybe some other
                > components that handle RL800
                > and 500 doesn't have? Have no idea. I'll ask.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > IGGY Dybal
                >
                > Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX
                > Best
                >
                > E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site:
                > http://www.iggy.net
                > Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
                > Fax: 913-322-4162

                Terms of Service.

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • ac me
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
                  What lacking of RL550 vs. RL800 ?
                  does RL550 have onboard compass ?

                  --- "Robert H. Warnke" <robertwarnke@...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > out if "breaking the
                  > > code" of 800 and downloading it to 500 would work.
                  > >
                  > > Logically, this should not be a problem if you
                  > know
                  > > what you are doing - I
                  > > don't :o) - I am just thinking it's possible.
                  > >
                  > > The hardware must be the same or similar for RL500
                  > > and 800 except for the
                  > > "learn edge" feature "anti-theft" and the "wide
                  > > angle mode". The software is
                  > > the key, no doubt, but there maybe some other
                  > > components that handle RL800
                  > > and 500 doesn't have? Have no idea. I'll ask.
                  > >
                  > > Sincerely,
                  > >
                  > > IGGY Dybal
                  > >
                  > > Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX
                  > > Best
                  > >
                  > > E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site:
                  > > http://www.iggy.net
                  > > Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Robert H. Warnke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
                    It doesn't have the "wide scan", "learn edge" and
                    "theft guard" features that the RL800 and RL850 have.
                    They also replaced the diagnostics menu with a service
                    menu which is password protected. And I believe all
                    the FR mowers have compasses.

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com