Re: [RoboMower] boosting wire voltage/power

  • yho.mysticturner@dfgh.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6 4:01 PM
      What's this about ignoring doubled wires? The Ambrogio doesn't have a
      problem with doubling up wires. At my new home, I'm installing the wire
      with
      an occasional 'zigzag'. What I do is dig my slot with my tool, about 8-10
      feet at
      a time. Then I go back to the start and stuff the wire in the slot,
      occasionally
      doubling back for 2 or 3 feet, then returning to the original direction, all
      in the same
      slot. Ambrogio doesn't have a problem with this and it allows me later to
      have a
      little wire in the ground to provide slack when we get to putting in the
      garden areas.
      I won't have to cut the wire to reroute it (as long as I left enough slack
      there).
      Also when the wire gets cut, I can pull a little slack out, solder the
      connection up.

      When I was laying cable, I wondered if any of you had tried this. With the
      comment
      about doubling, I wonder if the Robomowers will allow it.

      Ken Mays
      Ambrogio (Senior Antonio) since 12/03

      Message 2 of 5 , May 6 9:26 PM
        The Perimeter Switch apparently transmits a RF signal that the RM can
        read and is directional. Reverse polarity on the perimeter wire and
        the RM will edge in the reverse direction.

        Doubling up seems to cause the forward and reverse paths to cancel, a
        zigzag would seem to triple up leaving the double to cancel with one
        left to still be seen.

        Unless the perimeter switch has a DC-DC converter to keep the voltage
        constant, it seems that bumping up the power available would bump up
        the signal strength.

        After all, as the voltage on the batteries drops, the signal starts to
        fade. When my batteries dropped some voltage the RM lost the signal in
        a spot near the center of the yard but worked fine everywhere else.

        Now that I have connected 2 zones in series I have nearly the same issue.
        However the RM will mow fine in the center of the yard, it just can't
        be started there.
        It won't shut down in the center, but trying to start there gives no
        wire signal error.

      • yho.mysticturner@dfgh.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7 4:34 AM
          Ambrogio also uses a RF signal - about 7000 hz, if I remember correctly.
          but
          I've never tried reversing polarity to see what he'd do. Ambrogio does not
          have
          an edge function per say. He does use the wire to find his house, and that
          effectively is an edging for some percentage of the wire, depending on where
          he started looking for & found the wire. I've always assumed that when he
          found the signal, he just turned right and followed it, and that polarity
          made
          no difference. I'm still laying wire, so I try reversing and let the group
          know.

        • Chris Weaver
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7 9:08 PM
            Another post in a different thread indicates I may be remembering this
            incorrectly