battery refresh

  • Stuart Cracraft
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2005
      Have noticed that pulling battery and putting back in followed by
      pulling plug from wall and putting back in usually results in as close
      to a full charge as possible.
    • markf123452001
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
        Stuart,

        I had a problem RL-800 where under those conditions it was overcharging
        my battery.

        Friendly sent me a kit to replace a prom chip, and the issue seems to
        be resolved.

        If you are concerned about a full charge, you could do what I did to
        diagnose the problem: open the battery pack and attach leads to the
        two batt clips. I attached an insulated plug to the leads, and can
        now check the voltage directly at the battery.

        Before the problem was corrected, an interruption in power would start
        the charging cycle even with a fully charged battery. The first
        indication of a problem was that the battery was still charging after
        30+ hours, the other was that the battery pack was warm. I checked the
        voltage and it was ~30V. That's way too high for a gell cell.

        Since the repair I have never had the problem again. The mower now
        fully charges, then cuts back to a safe maintenance voltage ~13.8V

        The fast (4-6 hour) charger works great. I have also monitored the
        voltage on teh battery pack using this charger. After the quick
        charge, it cuts back to a maintenance mode that includes a slow pulse
        charge, where the charger applies a charging voltage, then removes it
        and monitores the voltage fallback, then applies it again. It works
        very well.