Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

All set up! - comments on install and need some thoughts/help on a problem

Expand Messages
  • Jeff Callahan
    Well, spring was in the air yesterday here in PA, so I set out to put in the perimeter wire. I was almost exactly on with my length of wire estimates. I ran
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Well, spring was in the air yesterday here in PA, so I set out to put in the
      perimeter wire. I was almost exactly on with my length of wire estimates. I
      ran out of the 200 meters included with the box, ran to home depot and found
      the spool of 500 feet of green (only had 14 gauge no 16) solid copper wire
      for only $19. I admit, the insulation on the FR wire is a good bit
      thicker...but oh well, I'm not spending what they want for wire. Also, the
      FR insulation is "softer" and "grips" the stakes better, whereas you can
      hammer the stakes way way down on the HD wire and it still slips around a
      bit. I had to use two splice connectors all in all, one to connect each
      spool of 100 meters FR wire to each other, and the second to connect the FR
      wire to the HD wire. I used the included FR black wire connectors to secure
      the splices, then packed the heck out of them with silicon caulk so no water
      will be getting in (hopefully). I ended up using about half of the HD wire,
      so that puts me at a total length of around 900 feet. You guys can
      reference my drawing I uploaded a while ago, but I ended up cutting out part
      to the left of the house because I thought it was too much of a slope. I'm
      glad I did because on an even lesser slop, the bot started popping a wheelie
      and yelling. Front wheel was as high as possible though, so it may help to
      lower that a notch or two. Anyway, I am anxious to see if the bot can
      handle either of the two zones on the battery life. After doing the
      perimeter with minimal staking, I just wanted to see how he handled the
      perimeter. Two problems happened, one was my fault. Where I had a "T" to
      connect the two zones as one wire in the back yard, the front wheel grabbed
      some non-staked wire, wrapped it all up and it, rightfully so, yelled "wire
      too close" (I'd say!).

      The second problem is the one I'm stumped on, I'm wondering if anyone can
      shed some light on it. I came out later to find the bot just sitting there,
      light not blinking and the LCD was on the starter screen that said "Zone A -
      Max" which was odd, because I put it on Zone B for that side. So, something
      "reset" the whole thing. It was still sitting right on the perimeter...but
      no real error messages or anything. I had to press GO again and he went on
      his way. It was not on any sort of hill that could have lifted the front.

      All in all, I'm off to a great start I think. He sure is fun to watch.
      He'll be getting an official Subaru rally blue STi paint job and emblems
      soon, I'm thinking with chrome paint on the wheel hubs :) And more
      importantly, I'm going to try epoxying on some tread on my slick tires some
      time next week when my dad donates his old John Deere tires for me to hack
      up.

      Happy Mowing
      Jeff
    • Andrew John
      I came out later to find the bot just sitting there, light not blinking and the LCD was on the starter screen that said Zone A - Max which was odd, because I
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        I came out later to find the bot just sitting there,
        light not blinking and the LCD was on the starter screen that said "Zone A -
        Max" which was odd, because I put it on Zone B for that side.
        --------------------------------------------
        We have the older transmitters that shut off after 2 or 2 1/2 hours. I
        believe that was that or the 2 hour limit on the RM. Can't wait for you to
        upload pics of that mod. BTW the knobby tires have huge knobs and are under
        $45 shipped DHL. From the fine people behind the woot! robos:
        http://www.roboticmowerusa.com/form/
      • alexred2002
        I went ahead and ordered the wheels to upgrade my woot mower. I figured it was easier to buy the wheels at $45 then waste $30 trying to rig somthing up. The
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          I went ahead and ordered the wheels to upgrade my woot mower. I
          figured it was easier to buy the wheels at $45 then waste $30 trying
          to rig somthing up. The link below goes to a non-secured website
          page. I don't like entering my cc number in the clear. If anyone
          else has similar concerns, you can go here instead and use the paypal
          links:

          http://www.roboticmowerusa.com/access.htm

          -Alex

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew John" <ajpk3@h...> wrote:
          >
          > I came out later to find the bot just sitting there,
          > light not blinking and the LCD was on the starter screen that
          said "Zone A -
          > Max" which was odd, because I put it on Zone B for that side.
          > --------------------------------------------
          > We have the older transmitters that shut off after 2 or 2 1/2
          hours. I
          > believe that was that or the 2 hour limit on the RM. Can't wait for
          you to
          > upload pics of that mod. BTW the knobby tires have huge knobs and
          are under
          > $45 shipped DHL. From the fine people behind the woot! robos:
          > http://www.roboticmowerusa.com/form/
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.