borders

  • Jeff Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2005
      I am a happy owner of an RL800 going into my 3rd season now. Last
      year, I re-sod my entire lawn and re-laid all the perimeter wire so
      the robomower could cut right up to the edge of the lawn without me
      having to do any additional weeding.

      I have black PVC border separating some lawn sections from adjoining
      mulch beds.

      The problem is, no matter how the pvc border is placed, the robomower
      occasionally has difficulty negotiating it. Sometimes the front wheel
      goes over and the machine shuts down (front wheel problem), sometimes
      the back wheels spin against the pvc and the machine is stuck and
      sometimes (especially if the mow height is down all the way), the
      machine bumps into the border and treats it as an obstruction to go
      around...stopping, turning, etc which leaves spaces uncut.

      Does ANYONE have any suggestions for an alternative border material?
      Or, does EVERYONE go back around their lawn with an edger or
      weedwacker to clean up the perimeter?

      Thnx
      Jeff
    • tysamigo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2005
        Jeff,

        If you lay the wire originally about 30 feet at a time and test each section
        before going on then this problem would have been eliminated. I'm not
        certain what version manual you have for the mower but I do believe that the
        latest version of manual talks about "loosely" laying the wire for adjustments
        purposes and then later "fine tuning" with extra pegging.

        The only thing you can go is leave it as is and mow like this, change the
        physical border's location, rewire the perimeter wire (most recommended), or try
        recalibrating the wire sensors to the exact layout (would require a phone
        call to us). Any other suggestions from RM owners that I may be missing?

        Best Regards,

        Tyler Ramage
        Public Affairs
        Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
        Robo Direct Inc.
        P: 502.742.ROBO
        F: 502.968.9109
        Toll Free 800.811.3965
        tyler@...
        www.robodirect.com

      • Chris Weaver
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2005
          I would suggest something higher, perhaps stacked stone, that RM can
          not go over. Or something flat, perhaps same stone in the ground,
          that allows RM to drive over and fudge the border a bit.

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jones" <cfsguy38@h...> wrote:
          > Does ANYONE have any suggestions for an alternative border
          material?
          > Or, does EVERYONE go back around their lawn with an edger or
          > weedwacker to clean up the perimeter?
          >
          > Thnx
          > Jeff
        • markf123452001
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
            Jeff,

            I too will be in my 3rd season with the RL800.

            For borders around flower beds I have defined the edges with a flat
            blade shovel and used mulch in the beds. I've encircled the beds
            with the perimeter wire to create an island. If the mower does
            slightly cross the line it just chews a little mulch; no damage.

            In some other areas where I need a hard border I've used the hard
            steel border edging from Home Depot with no perimeter wire. That
            keeps the mower from hitting the tree, or getting stuck on the dirt
            mound surrounding the tree.

            For the edges around my fence I use a Troy Bilt cordless weedwacker.

            This spring I will be removing grass from some areas that Robomower
            has trouble cutting, and filling in the area with mulch beds,
            flowers, or ferns (shady spots).

            Mark

            n RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jones" <cfsguy38@h...> wrote:

            > I am a happy owner of an RL800 going into my 3rd season now. Last
            > year, I re-sod my entire lawn and re-laid all the perimeter wire so
            > the robomower could cut right up to the edge of the lawn without me
            > having to do any additional weeding.
            >
            > I have black PVC border separating some lawn sections from adjoining
            > mulch beds.
            >
            > The problem is, no matter how the pvc border is placed, the
            robomower
            > occasionally has difficulty negotiating it. Sometimes the front
            wheel
            > goes over and the machine shuts down (front wheel problem),
            sometimes
            > the back wheels spin against the pvc and the machine is stuck and
            > sometimes (especially if the mow height is down all the way), the
            > machine bumps into the border and treats it as an obstruction to go
            > around...stopping, turning, etc which leaves spaces uncut.
            >
            > Does ANYONE have any suggestions for an alternative border material?
            > Or, does EVERYONE go back around their lawn with an edger or
            > weedwacker to clean up the perimeter?
            >
            > Thnx
            > Jeff
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
              Tyler,

              Thanks for the response. Yes, we did follow the instructions on
              laying the wire (and this was the second time we'd done it). The
              problem didn't become apparent until the PVC border was added after
              the fact. Since then, I've tried both moving the border to match
              the wire and moving the wire to match the border...can't seem to
              make it work. That's why I'm considering another type of border
              that will still do the job of separating mulch beds from lawn
              without interfering with the RoboMower.
              Any additional ideas would help.

              Thanks!
              Jeff

              On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:50:10 -0800 tysamigo@... wrote:
              >Jeff,
              >
              >If you lay the wire originally about 30 feet at a time and test
              >each section
              >before going on then this problem would have been eliminated. I'm
              > not
              >certain what version manual you have for the mower but I do
              >believe that the
              >latest version of manual talks about "loosely" laying the wire for
              >adjustments
              >purposes and then later "fine tuning" with extra pegging.
              >
              >The only thing you can go is leave it as is and mow like this,
              >change the
              >physical border's location, rewire the perimeter wire (most
              >recommended), or try
              > recalibrating the wire sensors to the exact layout (would require
              >a phone
              >call to us). Any other suggestions from RM owners that I may be
              >missing?
              >

              >Best Regards,
              >
              >Tyler Ramage
              >Public Affairs
              >Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
              >Robo Direct Inc.
              >P: 502.742.ROBO
              >F: 502.968.9109
              >Toll Free 800.811.3965
              >tyler@...
              >www.robodirect.com

              >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
              >~-->
              >Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's
              >Research Hospital's
              >'Thanks & Giving.'
              >http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA/X8NolB/TM

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
                Mark,

                Thanks for the feedback.

                I realize I should have clarified that my PVC border is all AROUND
                my perimeter wire separating lawn from mulch beds.

                For pea gravel beds within the perimeter, like you, I simply put no
                border and RM drives over the edge with no damage. (Although, this
                still does not help me keep weeds/grass from invading the peagravel
                bed which is another project I have to solve)

                I guess you've answered my question....weed wacker for those areas
                around perimeter RM can't get (like your fence). Someone else also
                suggested a flat stone border that RM could drive more easily over.
                I'll probably need some combination of both.

                Thanks for your help!
                Jeff

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
                  Chris,

                  I appreciate your quick response! I neglected to mention the PVC
                  border I installed is ALL AROUND the perimeter wire, so raising it
                  wouldn't solve this problem.

                  Yes, I think you're right...a flat stone border would probably
                  solve the problem as RM would simply drive over it. I guess I'll be
                  replacing all the PVC with flat stone this spring.

                  THANKS!
                  Jeff

                  On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:18:46 -0800 Chris Weaver <cweaver@...>
                  wrote:
                  >I would suggest something higher, perhaps stacked stone, that RM
                  >can
                  >not go over. Or something flat, perhaps same stone in the ground,
                  >that allows RM to drive over and fudge the border a bit.
                  >
                  >--- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jones" <cfsguy38@h...>
                  >wrote:
                  >> Does ANYONE have any suggestions for an alternative border
                  >material?
                  >> Or, does EVERYONE go back around their lawn with an edger or
                  >> weedwacker to clean up the perimeter?
                  >>
                  >> Thnx
                  >> Jeff
                  >

                  >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
                  >~-->
                  >Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's
                  >Research Hospital's
                  >'Thanks & Giving.'
                  >http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA/X8NolB/TM

                • atlantasailor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 21, 2005
                    Is it possible to position the PVC so that it is less than the height
                    of the blades so the blades don't hit it and also so the wheels will
                    run over it? Say only 1" above the ground? I suppose you could lay
                    bricks down whose tops correspond with the surface of the ground.

                    Jay Smith/ATL

                  • tysamigo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 21, 2005
                      Jay,

                      The perimeter switch is NOT to be inside the mowing area so it doesn't
                      matter how tall the PVC pipe is because the PVC pipe and P.Switch are BOTH outside
                      the mowing area.

                      Thanks
                      Tyler

                      In a message dated 3/21/2005 2:52:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      atlantasailor@... writes:

                      Is it possible to position the PVC so that it is less than the height
                      of the blades so the blades don't hit it and also so the wheels will
                      run over it? Say only 1" above the ground? I suppose you could lay
                      bricks down whose tops correspond with the surface of the ground.

                      Jay Smith/ATL

                      Best Regards,

                      Tyler Ramage
                      Public Affairs