Re: RL500's on woot again

  • Richard Borschel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
      I have one and it is better than I would have thought given all the
      concerns. I replaced the wheels and the battery is fine. For the
      price it is nearly disposable and IMHO is what the device should
      really worth. I commend FR for making the products but they are
      seriously overpriced. This is not unexpected given the low volume of
      total sales and frankly I am surprised they remain in business.
      Particularly given the snotty attitude of not servicing something
      they manufactured in the first place. So, you take your chances with
      an "old" version that has crappy boards and possibly poor batteries.
      Once purchased you are on your own unless you are willing to pay the
      exorbatant fees for repairs/upgrades. However, I do not regret
      buying mine off Woot and in fact bought a second in case I need
      parts. Still way cheaper than a "new" RL550.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:

      > It's for $179 plus $5 shipping @ www.woot.com and
      > expires tonight at 12am.
      >
      > I would exercise EXTREME caution if you purchase this.
      > You're probably better off with buying a re-furbished
      > one from Friendly Robotics because you may end up
      > having to buy a new battery and replace other parts
      > which will add to the cost to that of a re-furbished
      > w/ warranty.
      >
      > However since there are some users here who like their
      > woot deal and it worked out fine for them...i figured
      > what the heck. I'll post it anyhow. :)

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Richard Borschel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        I am amazed at the cost of swapping a rom chip unless there is a lot
        more to it than that. Are the boards replaced as well? I assume this
        will not apply to any Woot purchases based upon your bracketed
        blip: "...if the RL500 qualifies).

      • tysamigo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
          Clint,

          This upgrade I was referring to is the same upgrade that has been available
          since 2000/2001, nothing new, nothing different except, of course, the spare
          parts for the upgrade have been improved and the 2005 upgrade price is a bit
          different.

          The "information" you are speaking of is still not public info, YET... It
          is GREAT news for RL1000 owners and a few issues that many owners in here have
          talked about have NOW been addressed.

          If you can remind me in about 3-4 more weeks I will be happy to share with
          you the news...

          Thanks Clint...

          Tyler

          In a message dated 1/12/2005 5:35:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          clintd555@... writes:

          Tyler are you saying there's "new" software just
          released for 2005 on RL500 mowers? This effectively
          makes all RL500/RL550 outdated. Can you please explain
          what the upgrade includes?

          Also I remember where was some information you
          with-held regarding 2005 mowers last year. But
          promised to reveal them to us in 2005....well it's
          2005 now! :-)

          Clint

          www.robodirect.com

        • tysamigo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
            The RL500's from woot are qualifying models, they are version A and B
            models. The upgrade will bring them to a "version C" rating as far as software and
            tires are concerned. The internal motors and other items, however, are NOT
            upgraded as they have been on the RL550s and forward.

            If you have more specific questions feel free to contact me and I can
            explain.

            Thanks

            Best Regards,

            Tyler Ramage