Re: [RoboMower] Need advice on the Robomower

  • John Stoner
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
      Well, if you get it from the local place it will be:
      $399 + $32 tax, so $439

      Mastergardening Rl800
      $699 - $70 coupon + free shipping, so $629

      So, instead of a $300 difference you are really looking at $190

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
        Batteries will last at least 2 years. I
        > think Iggy's going on 4 or 5 years with his same
        > batteries and they are going as strong as brand new
        > ones. This is normal.

        Correction - I am on my third mowing season now. Don't have any
        problems with batteries - they consistenlty run 3:40 or 3:45 in
        working time. Doesn't matter if I do the front and side and back of
        the house by zones or consistently run the mower in the back on MAX -
        it's always the same.

        IGGY
      • aaron_warnke
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
          Do you think that the RL800 is $190 better?

          Thanks,
          Aaron

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "John Stoner" <stoner_john@h...>
          wrote:
          > Well, if you get it from the local place it will be:
          > $399 + $32 tax, so $439
          >
          > Mastergardening Rl800
          > $699 - $70 coupon + free shipping, so $629
          >
          > So, instead of a $300 difference you are really looking at $190

        • aaron_warnke
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
            Thanks for your help,

            I have sent a jpg of my lot (House1). Please review it and let me
            know what you think for zones. Hopfully I can get by with two
            zones. For the wire, do you suggest using theirs, or is there
            something I can get that is cheaper (definitly on a budget here). I
            also have a small slope on the south side of my house that is a
            little steep (maybe 30 degrees), how well will robomower handle
            this? If it has a hard time, will it handle it in manual mode? Also
            on the north side the wire robomower will follow will be along a
            downwards pitch (so it will beging accross the pitch, not up and
            down it. Do you forsee any problems?

            Thanks again,
            Aaron

          • terry_veldhuizen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
              Here is my $0.02.

              First you buy a bottle of fine wine and a $400 piece of jewelry for
              your wife. (Just kidding)

              It is hard to really justify this purchase on a cost basis. I have
              had my RL500 for about 1.5 years, and there are still some areas that
              I mow with a manual mower. Primarily, it is the area between the
              sidewalk and the curb on about 50' long. The builder graded this so
              badly, that the robomower would not handle it. So there goes the
              argument that you can get rid of your existing mower.

              As for the model to purchase, I like my 500. I would recommend the RL
              500 with the $150 upgrade kit. Be very careful about the purchase of
              a 500. See the threads about e-bay. Some of these are not new, but
              returns and demo, some of which have problems. The biggest could be
              the age of the batteries. If they are more than about 4 years old,
              they may die prematurely. If you are unsure about its history, I
              would probably go with the 800. I doubt if you would need any
              additional items except possible perimeter wire and stakes. That
              would depend on the layout of your yard and how many objects you may
              need to protect. If you create a drawing of your yard and post it in
              the `files' section, we could make some recommendations. Include
              thing you need to protect like flowerbeds, gardens, trees that have
              large roots above ground, etc. The blades are replaceable, but at the
              beginning of this season, I removed the 3 blades and sharpened them
              myself. It is very easy to sharpen them since they required no tools
              to remove and they are only about 8" long. I expect my blades to last
              me about 5-10 years. The battery does have a life, but will die
              gracefully. After several years, the total mowing time will gradually
              be reduced, indicating the batteries are going.

              It should handle the size of your yard with no problem. Some people
              purchase a second battery so they can do the whole thing at one time.
              I prefer to do my front yard ad back yard on different days, so I did
              not purchase the second battery and do not plan to.

              As for tips on convincing your wife, I would avoid using cost savings
              as a strategy. It is not a money pit, but the initial investment is a
              little heavy. Does your wife ever mow, or do you handle it
              exclusively? If she mows, its ease of operation could be a selling
              point. Frequently, my wife does the back yard for me by just starting
              it and going about her daily activities. A couple hours later, she
              puts it away. On the plus side, it has great toy value. Or you could
              agree to clean the bathroom(s) for a couple of months. If all else
              fails, try moping around and see if that works.

              If you are successful with the purchase, have your wife mow the front
              yard a couple of times. I say mow, but I mean watch. (I stay and
              watch the mower when I do the front yard because of my paranoia about
              it being stolen.) About 75% of the times when I do the front yard, I
              have people stop to watch and talk. Most neighbors are so fascinated
              with it, that your wife may come to appreciate its uniqueness.

              Good Luck
              Terry

              P.S.
              I started this before i say any responses, so forgive me if I have
              repeated advice.

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "aaron_warnke" <warnke@c...> wrote:
              > I have been looking at purchasing a Robomower for some time now,
              however I am still on the fence
              > (due to the cost). My home is on about a 1/3 acre lot minus the
              house and driveway it a little less than
              > 11,000 sq ft. From what I understand I should probably get the
              RL800 (correct me if I am wrong),
              > however they are having a sale near me on the RL500's for $399 as
              opposed to $699 for the RL800.
              > Which model would you suggest I purchase, what additional items
              will I need to purchase and how
              > much can I plan on spending up front for everything I need? I
              understand that batteries and blades are
              > reoccurring expenses. For my lot size how often would I have to
              replace these parts?

              > Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated along with any
              tips for convincing my wife into
              > letting me spend the bucks :)
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Aaron
            • aaron_warnke
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                Your advice is much appreciated.

                I have posted my lot in the files (house1.jpg). If you could look
                it over, it would be great! I am sort of in a hurry to buy one,
                because my primary mower has died and my neighbor is getting sick of
                me borrowing hers. I am counting on that this will be a total
                replacement, because I do not have another mower, nor the funds to
                by or the space to store it. Do you think I can make by with just
                the robomower and not a back up?

                Thanks,
                Aaron

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"

              • Clint D
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                  Aaron, I haven't used a push mower in over year minus
                  using mine to pick up leaves...which reminds me: my
                  friend has been borrowing mine for over 3months now.
                  I use a trimmer to get spots not in the mowing zone.

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • John Stoner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                    Is the 800 $190 better? In my case no. I think the 500 is fine. I do have to
                    use a push mower to get many areas that are too steep for "Mr. Marbles" to
                    get to. I view mine as an assistant that does one half of the yard while I
                    do the other half.

                    john (www.johnsarcade.com)

                  • Clint D
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                      Do you have any fences separating your backyard from
                      the front? If not, see the attached layout for two
                      zones. :)

                      --- aaron_warnke <warnke@...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for your help,
                      >
                      > I have sent a jpg of my lot (House1). Please review
                      > it and let me
                      > know what you think for zones. Hopfully I can get
                      > by with two
                      > zones. For the wire, do you suggest using theirs,
                      > or is there
                      > something I can get that is cheaper (definitly on a
                      > budget here). I
                      > also have a small slope on the south side of my
                      > house that is a
                      > little steep (maybe 30 degrees), how well will
                      > robomower handle
                      > this? If it has a hard time, will it handle it in
                      > manual mode? Also
                      > on the north side the wire robomower will follow
                      > will be along a
                      > downwards pitch (so it will beging accross the
                      > pitch, not up and
                      > down it. Do you forsee any problems?
                      >
                      > Thanks again,
                      > Aaron

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • iggykc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "aaron_warnke" <warnke@c...> wrote:
                        > Do you think that the RL800 is $190 better?

                        For a normal lot 8-12,000 sq. ft with not too many obstacles and
                        house on it, I think that RL500 is just enough. I would however, buy
                        RL800 if I were buying today :o) - just because...

                        IGGY