Need recommendation.

  • Shrieks
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28 2:11 PM
      I am new to this group. I never knew that Robomower ever existed...
      Infact when I saw the Roombha vacuum clearner, I thought of the
      something similar for the lawn mower and thought I should patent the
      idea.... and sell it some company for a million dollars. what a
      laugh I had when I found that this was already done and long
      existed.....

      Now after my millionare dreams squashed.....time for a reality
      check. I bought a house 2 months back and I need to start mowing
      come spring...
      I have an almost 6500 sq ft lawn. If I have to split into zones.
      It will be
      80 X 40
      80 X 20
      30 X 30
      + side walks and 3 trees in a circular patch. I have a small area
      parallel to the driveway to the garage (around 50 sqft) which might
      be a bit steep ( might be around 20-25 degree slope )

      I am thinking an RL 500 would be enough for me. I am not yet clear
      on what the differences are between RL500 and RL550. Nobody seem to
      have that clear on any website.

      Any suggestions and who to buy from ?
    • . IGGY & Svetlana .
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
          Actually if it's possible to make one large 6500 sqft
          zone, you could still get away with using the RL550
          depending on the layout of your yard. If you don't
          mind, sketch an overhead view of your yard and post it
          to the group.

          Clint

          --- ". IGGY & Svetlana ."
          <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

> [...]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            I know this is off-topic, but I thought I'll post it
            here anyway. It's from the roomba user's group in
            which numerous complaints and good comments about
            their product is brought up....very similar to the
            Robomower group. Anyway there were some questions
            about the "quality" of the Roombas and if they take
            the time to test their products. I didnt paste the
            original message but Here's their reply:

            Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:48:54 -0500
            From: "Preneta, Josh" <jpreneta@...>
            Subject: RE: Re: docking station question?

            Gordon,

            As always, we appreciate the time and energy you've
            devoted to this
            forum. While we have seen a number of problems
            reported on this forum,
            assure you that we do NOT "use our customers as
            quality control
            inspectors." This user's forum has a
            disproportionately large number of
            quality issues because many consumers turn to online
            user groups only
            when they have a product problem, in hopes of finding
            a solution. We
            (iRobot) do our best to answer these questions as
            quickly and
            accurately
            as possible, we strive to provide World Class Customer
            Service through
            our phone line, e-mail address, and, where
            appropriate, this forum.

            iRobot's production rate, as compared to some other
            widely known
            products, is actually relatively small. Apple sold
            approximately 860k
            iPods in Q3 ALONE this year, and they added around 2
            million more in
            Q4.
            It is important to note that we (and I suspect Apple)
            use multiple
            parallel production lines, which allows us to produce
            at a higher rate
            without sacrificing quality. While it is a challenge
            to produce large
            quantities of complex consumer products, I am
            confident that we've done
            a great job rising to the challenge.

            We also have a comprehensive set of Quality Control
            tests that EVERY
            robot must pass. There are around 60 different tests
            at the
            sub-assembly
            and main-assembly level. Some of these tests are
            automated, while
            others
            require manual intervention. Every possible feature
            and function is
            tested. You will notice that all of the Discovery
            Series robots have a
            serial port. We use this serial port to run a final
            diagnostic test on
            every robot that comes off the line and record final
            testing results.

            We also do a large amount of "destructive" testing.
            This includes
            drop-testing (to simulate falls), vibration tests (to
            simulate
            shipping), life/repeatability tests, temperature
            tests, humidity tests,
            and component tests. If a particular batch of robots
            fails these tests,
            the robots do not leave the production facility.

            Finally, every week's production is inspected by a 3rd
            party
            organization to ensure that we are shipping only
            quality products. This
            comprehensive process allows us to create high-quality
            robots that meet
            consumer's expectations.

            As a rapidly growing company, we know that it is
            extremely important
            that we listen to customer feedback. Thank you (and
            the rest of the
            forum) for your active participation in this group,
            which has been a
            very informative venue for iRobot and, I hope, for
            you. I very much
            appreciate the helpful and honest feedback we've
            received from people
            on
            this forum. We are pioneering this new field of Home
            Robotics together;
            I invite you to continue to provide feedback so that
            we can constantly
            improve our products, processes, and support.

            If there are any other questions I can answer, please
            feel free to ask.

            Best Regards,

            Joshua Preneta

            Associate Product Manager

            iRobot Corp

            63 South Avenue

            Burlington, MA 01803

            ----- end paste ------

            =====
            Clint

            Web Design - Development - Hosting Solutions
            http://www.clintgraphics.com
            info@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • nasalflea
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2005
              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Shrieks" <ssrikkant@y...> wrote:

              > I am new to this group. I never knew that Robomower ever
              existed...
              > Infact when I saw the Roombha vacuum clearner, I thought of the
              > something similar for the lawn mower and thought I should patent
              the
              > idea.... and sell it some company for a million dollars. what a
              > laugh I had when I found that this was already done and long
              > existed.....
              >
              > Now after my millionare dreams squashed.....time for a reality
              > check. I bought a house 2 months back and I need to start mowing
              > come spring...
              > I have an almost 6500 sq ft lawn. If I have to split into zones.
              > It will be
              > 80 X 40
              > 80 X 20
              > 30 X 30
              > + side walks and 3 trees in a circular patch. I have a small area
              > parallel to the driveway to the garage (around 50 sqft) which
              might
              > be a bit steep ( might be around 20-25 degree slope )
              >
              > I am thinking an RL 500 would be enough for me. I am not yet clear
              > on what the differences are between RL500 and RL550. Nobody seem
              > have that clear on any website.
              >

              > Any suggestions and who to buy from ?

              From what I have read, the difference between the RL500 and RL550 is
              that they upgraded the software so that it has better battery life,
              although supposedly you can upgrade a RL500 to that software, I am
              just not sure how yet.
              The other difference is that the RL500 had problems with water
              getting into the Manual controller and shorting it out. They sealed
              the controller a little better on the RL550. I suppose you could
              figure out some way to protect your controller on your RL500 by
              wrapping it in plastic or something.