Re: [RoboMower] Need advice on the Robomower

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
      I suggest getting the RL800. It's more capable of
      handing larger lots because of the Wide Scan mode. I
      would suggest making at least 2 plots. Each being 5500
      sqft. It would take about 2-3 hours to mow each plot
      depending on your layout. I also suggest:

      1.Rapid charger. You can charge your battery in 6
      hours vs the normal 24+ hours.
      2. More perimeter wire. Your yard is big so chances
      are your'll need it.
      3. Lots of pegs to hold down the wire.

      Dont worry about replacing batteries and blades
      anytime soon. Friendly Robotics recommend replacing
      blades ($40) once a year, but I've found they last
      much longer. Batteries will last at least 2 years. I
      think Iggy's going on 4 or 5 years with his same
      batteries and they are going as strong as brand new
      ones. This is normal.

      The RL500 will probably handle your yard just fine as
      well. You may need 3 plots instead of 2. I would like
      to see an overheard sketch of your yard layout. It
      would help us determine how to layout plots. If your
      budget doesnt allow for an RL800, dont hesitate to get
      the RL500. Most of us with big yards arent even
      considering the RL800 because the RL500 is doing an
      excellent job as is.

      --- aaron_warnke <warnke@...> wrote:
      > I have been looking at purchasing a Robomower for
      > some time now, however I am still on the fence
      > (due to the cost). My home is on about a 1/3 acre
      > lot minus the house and driveway it a little less
      > than
      > 11,000 sq ft. From what I understand I should
      > probably get the RL800 (correct me if I am wrong),
      > however they are having a sale near me on the
      > RL500's for $399 as opposed to $699 for the RL800.
      >
      > Which model would you suggest I purchase, what
      > additional items will I need to purchase and how
      > much can I plan on spending up front for everything
      > I need? I understand that batteries and blades are
      > reoccurring expenses. For my lot size how often
      > would I have to replace these parts?
      >
      > Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated
      > along with any tips for convincing my wife into
      > letting me spend the bucks :)
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Aaron

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • John Stoner
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
        Well, if you get it from the local place it will be:
        $399 + $32 tax, so $439

        Mastergardening Rl800
        $699 - $70 coupon + free shipping, so $629

        So, instead of a $300 difference you are really looking at $190

[...]

        View pinball pics, b-ball stats and disturbing pictures at
        www.johnsarcade.com

      • iggykc
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
          Batteries will last at least 2 years. I
          > think Iggy's going on 4 or 5 years with his same
          > batteries and they are going as strong as brand new
          > ones. This is normal.

          Correction - I am on my third mowing season now. Don't have any
          problems with batteries - they consistenlty run 3:40 or 3:45 in
          working time. Doesn't matter if I do the front and side and back of
          the house by zones or consistently run the mower in the back on MAX -
          it's always the same.

          IGGY
        • aaron_warnke
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
            Do you think that the RL800 is $190 better?

            Thanks,
            Aaron

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "John Stoner" <stoner_john@h...>
            wrote:
            > Well, if you get it from the local place it will be:
            > $399 + $32 tax, so $439
            >
            > Mastergardening Rl800
            > $699 - $70 coupon + free shipping, so $629
            >
            > So, instead of a $300 difference you are really looking at $190

          • aaron_warnke
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
              Thanks for your help,

              I have sent a jpg of my lot (House1). Please review it and let me
              know what you think for zones. Hopfully I can get by with two
              zones. For the wire, do you suggest using theirs, or is there
              something I can get that is cheaper (definitly on a budget here). I
              also have a small slope on the south side of my house that is a
              little steep (maybe 30 degrees), how well will robomower handle
              this? If it has a hard time, will it handle it in manual mode? Also
              on the north side the wire robomower will follow will be along a
              downwards pitch (so it will beging accross the pitch, not up and
              down it. Do you forsee any problems?

              Thanks again,
              Aaron

            • terry_veldhuizen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                Here is my $0.02.

                First you buy a bottle of fine wine and a $400 piece of jewelry for
                your wife. (Just kidding)

                It is hard to really justify this purchase on a cost basis. I have
                had my RL500 for about 1.5 years, and there are still some areas that
                I mow with a manual mower. Primarily, it is the area between the
                sidewalk and the curb on about 50' long. The builder graded this so
                badly, that the robomower would not handle it. So there goes the
                argument that you can get rid of your existing mower.

                As for the model to purchase, I like my 500. I would recommend the RL
                500 with the $150 upgrade kit. Be very careful about the purchase of
                a 500. See the threads about e-bay. Some of these are not new, but
                returns and demo, some of which have problems. The biggest could be
                the age of the batteries. If they are more than about 4 years old,
                they may die prematurely. If you are unsure about its history, I
                would probably go with the 800. I doubt if you would need any
                additional items except possible perimeter wire and stakes. That
                would depend on the layout of your yard and how many objects you may
                need to protect. If you create a drawing of your yard and post it in
                the `files' section, we could make some recommendations. Include
                thing you need to protect like flowerbeds, gardens, trees that have
                large roots above ground, etc. The blades are replaceable, but at the
                beginning of this season, I removed the 3 blades and sharpened them
                myself. It is very easy to sharpen them since they required no tools
                to remove and they are only about 8" long. I expect my blades to last
                me about 5-10 years. The battery does have a life, but will die
                gracefully. After several years, the total mowing time will gradually
                be reduced, indicating the batteries are going.

                It should handle the size of your yard with no problem. Some people
                purchase a second battery so they can do the whole thing at one time.
                I prefer to do my front yard ad back yard on different days, so I did
                not purchase the second battery and do not plan to.

                As for tips on convincing your wife, I would avoid using cost savings
                as a strategy. It is not a money pit, but the initial investment is a
                little heavy. Does your wife ever mow, or do you handle it
                exclusively? If she mows, its ease of operation could be a selling
                point. Frequently, my wife does the back yard for me by just starting
                it and going about her daily activities. A couple hours later, she
                puts it away. On the plus side, it has great toy value. Or you could
                agree to clean the bathroom(s) for a couple of months. If all else
                fails, try moping around and see if that works.

                If you are successful with the purchase, have your wife mow the front
                yard a couple of times. I say mow, but I mean watch. (I stay and
                watch the mower when I do the front yard because of my paranoia about
                it being stolen.) About 75% of the times when I do the front yard, I
                have people stop to watch and talk. Most neighbors are so fascinated
                with it, that your wife may come to appreciate its uniqueness.

                Good Luck
                Terry

                P.S.
                I started this before i say any responses, so forgive me if I have
                repeated advice.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "aaron_warnke" <warnke@c...> wrote:
                > I have been looking at purchasing a Robomower for some time now,
                however I am still on the fence
                > (due to the cost). My home is on about a 1/3 acre lot minus the
                house and driveway it a little less than
                > 11,000 sq ft. From what I understand I should probably get the
                RL800 (correct me if I am wrong),
                > however they are having a sale near me on the RL500's for $399 as
                opposed to $699 for the RL800.
                > Which model would you suggest I purchase, what additional items
                will I need to purchase and how
                > much can I plan on spending up front for everything I need? I
                understand that batteries and blades are
                > reoccurring expenses. For my lot size how often would I have to
                replace these parts?

                > Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated along with any
                tips for convincing my wife into
                > letting me spend the bucks :)
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Aaron
              • aaron_warnke
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                  Your advice is much appreciated.

                  I have posted my lot in the files (house1.jpg). If you could look
                  it over, it would be great! I am sort of in a hurry to buy one,
                  because my primary mower has died and my neighbor is getting sick of
                  me borrowing hers. I am counting on that this will be a total
                  replacement, because I do not have another mower, nor the funds to
                  by or the space to store it. Do you think I can make by with just
                  the robomower and not a back up?

                  Thanks,
                  Aaron

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"

                • Clint D
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                    Aaron, I haven't used a push mower in over year minus
                    using mine to pick up leaves...which reminds me: my
                    friend has been borrowing mine for over 3months now.
                    I use a trimmer to get spots not in the mowing zone.

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • John Stoner
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                      Is the 800 $190 better? In my case no. I think the 500 is fine. I do have to
                      use a push mower to get many areas that are too steep for "Mr. Marbles" to
                      get to. I view mine as an assistant that does one half of the yard while I
                      do the other half.

                      john (www.johnsarcade.com)

                    • Clint D
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                        Do you have any fences separating your backyard from
                        the front? If not, see the attached layout for two
                        zones. :)

                        --- aaron_warnke <warnke@...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for your help,
                        >
                        > I have sent a jpg of my lot (House1). Please review
                        > it and let me
                        > know what you think for zones. Hopfully I can get
                        > by with two
                        > zones. For the wire, do you suggest using theirs,
                        > or is there
                        > something I can get that is cheaper (definitly on a
                        > budget here). I
                        > also have a small slope on the south side of my
                        > house that is a
                        > little steep (maybe 30 degrees), how well will
                        > robomower handle
                        > this? If it has a hard time, will it handle it in
                        > manual mode? Also
                        > on the north side the wire robomower will follow
                        > will be along a
                        > downwards pitch (so it will beging accross the
                        > pitch, not up and
                        > down it. Do you forsee any problems?
                        >
                        > Thanks again,
                        > Aaron

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                      • iggykc
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "aaron_warnke" <warnke@c...> wrote:
                          > Do you think that the RL800 is $190 better?

                          For a normal lot 8-12,000 sq. ft with not too many obstacles and
                          house on it, I think that RL500 is just enough. I would however, buy
                          RL800 if I were buying today :o) - just because...

                          IGGY