Re: [RoboMower] Doing my battery homework (a long winded message)

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
      Very interesting read there Terry. I'm very curious to
      see how well it works for you. Sounds like you've done
      a great job on your homework. If it works for you,
      I'll definately do this when my batteries die!

      It would be great if you uploaded a .txt file
      documenting these instructions. Most of us are fairly
      new users and our batteries will probably last a few
      more years before needing to upgrade them. It'll be a
      good idea to keep those photos and .txt file as a
      permanent part of our archives if it proves to be
      successful. :)

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • becauseimjeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
        You never said which model you have (800 or 500)...I assume the
        batteries are different?

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"
        <terry_veldhuizen@y...> wrote:
        > I am not sure how important run time is to some members of the
        > group, or how much additional run time would be sufficient (other
        > than infinity), but here is some additional information. As for me,
        > I have two zones (soon to be three) and I just do one zone per day
        > and have had no problems. However, when the batteries do die, I
        >plan .....
      • John Stoner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
          I think the battery is the same for all models.
          john (www.johnsarcade.com)

          You never said which model you have (800 or 500)...I assume the
          batteries are different?

        • terry_veldhuizen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
            For the record, I have a RL500 that is about 2 years old.
            Terry

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "becauseimjeff"
            <becauseimjeff@y...> wrote:
            > You never said which model you have (800 or 500)...I assume the
            > batteries are different?
            >
            > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "terry_veldhuizen"
            > <terry_veldhuizen@y...> wrote:
            > > I am not sure how important run time is to some members of the
            > > group, or how much additional run time would be sufficient (other
            > > than infinity), but here is some additional information. As for
            me,
            > > I have two zones (soon to be three) and I just do one zone per
            day
            > > and have had no problems. However, when the batteries do die, I
            > >plan .....
          • please_try_another_name
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
              I just read Terry's post about battery replacement.... lots of really
              good info. I also did a lot of research on batteries a while back...
              for my harley. Probably about the same size battery. I found out some
              interesting things.....
              A new lead acid battery is shipped from the factory with, at best, a
              75% charge. If you put it into service at that point, you have
              permanently damaged it.... it will never hold more than a 75% charge
              & there's nothing you can do about it. It absolutely needs a booster
              charge before it's used. And, the robomower may not be the best place
              to charge it.
              The info used to be available at yuasa.com, maybe it still is.
              (Yuasa is the largest maker of small batteries) It can take a couple
              of days to charge it properly.... stopping, starting, monitoring
              voltage levels. You can actually get over a 100% charge if you do it
              right. I can say that the last battery I put in my bike, following
              the instructions from Yuasa, was easily 30% more powerful than the
              identical one it replaced.

              Have a good weekend.