Re: [RoboMower] Robo in the shop...how long???

  • tysamigo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30, 2004
      KC,

      Unfortunately not all servicing dealers have the staff or capabilities to stay on the cutting edge of Robomower information and/or have in stock all parts of the mower.  All authorized service centers listed on FR's website have been trained by the factory directly or myself and they know what they are doing.  However, due to each individual service center's market for the product, they may or may not have the means to stock all parts of the product as they may service other products as well.  This is absolutely normal in general electronics industry however there are better options currently available.  You could request your local center to be more available to your needs or go somewhere else.

      It is very possible that your problem was misdiagnosed and never had anything to do with the front wheel.  It is possible the Main Board may have an issue that caused the problem all along, or even something as simple as a wiring harness.  It is very hard to say without knowing much more detailed information, however if there is a problem with the mower it normally is not followed so soon by another especially as dramatic.  It is a known fact, that with the correct tools and part in stock, ANY problem, absolutely ANY problem with Robomower CAN be diagnosed, repaired, tested, and sent home within 3 hours.

      If you feel that you require a more reliable source for servicing your mower, may I suggest you "interview" the service center prior to any servicing.  There are many good service centers in the field.  If you feel you require a more reliable and quick solution, I would like to help, or you should contact the factory directly.  There is a great servicing center in Paris, TN and one in Wentzville, MO.

      I share your frustration, however I also feel that if your experience was elsewhere, you would feel quite differently.

      Best Regards,

      Tyler Ramage
      Public Affairs
      Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
      Robo Direct Inc.
      P: 502.742.ROBO
      F: 502.968.9109
      tyler@...
      www.robodirect.com

      In a message dated 9/30/2004 11:20:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kcobra07@... writes:
      Took robo to the shop a couple of weeks ago.  I posted a message
      about my front wheel problem.  It took a week for the guy to get the
      front wheel board in the shop.

      Now he is telling me that the main board is bad.  It's been two weeks
      now and the grass is starting to become a jungle.  I hate to say it,
      but it the thing is going to be in the shop more than I can use it
      then I'll have to cry lemon.  The thing is that I really want it to
      work.  I have great hopes for such a great product and have even
      considered buying into the franchise.  I can sell anything that I
      believe in, but I won't sell someone a lemon if I know it.  That's
      how I feel right now.

      I do have the number to my local representative.  I think I will be
      giving him a call tomorrow to tap him on the shoulder and let him
      know that I'm his best salesman, but if this is going to take longer
      I want to know by how much.

      I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.  I'm also going to update
      my epinions.com review.

      KC

      Best Regards,

      Tyler Ramage
      Public Affairs
      Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
      Robo Direct Inc.
      P: 502.742.ROBO
      F: 502.968.9109
      tyler@...
      www.robodirect.com
    • kcobra07
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2004
        The only problem is that the shop I go to is the only shop in my area
        that services Robomower's. If I had another choice I would take it.
        I don't think it's all their fault either. The small shop that
        services the parts here is a hoover vac shop. They were telling me
        that they usually have to go through hoover, but that friendly is
        working with them on my case to make sure that I get the parts. I
        really don't understand that last part since it's been over 2 weeks
        now. I gave the friendly representative a call for my area, his name
        is Roy. It's friday now and he tells me that it should be her by
        next Wed.

        I'm bumfuddled at the extended time since they new last Friday that
        the main board was bad.

        I'm not concerned that they are doing a good job to take care of the
        customer. What I am concerned about it the delay in service by
        either friendly or Hoover.

        Believe me, I enjoy my Robomower very much. It has given me many
        hours of relief from sunburn & hay fever.

        I really want to be able to say that friendly gave me fast dependable
        service. Right now, I'm not feeling good at all saying that. My
        regular riding mower only died once, and that was at the end of 15
        years of service. When someone else ask me about the Robomower I
        will have to tell the truth, which will be something like...

        It's a great machine, but you better hope it doesn't break down. If
        it does break then you will have to wait a month to get it back, they
        don't give loaners and you are at their mercy. That would have been
        enough to deter me from purchasing a Robomower. Now it's out in this
        group and people can read it.

      • tysamigo@aol.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2004
            Please tell me where I can send it for the next time. $20 is not to
            much to pay. It cost me that much in time & gas drive to ths shop.
            I will also have to drive back to the shop to pick it up. My time is
            worth something. That's why I bought a Robo in the first place. :->

            I'm guessing the service centers have parts on hand and don't have to
            order them from friendly, thus making them faster.

            BTW, How long does it take friendly to send out a part? If I order a
            part on Tuesday, would I have it by Thursday? or does friendly ship
            via ground, which would mean I would get it by Saturday or Sunday?

            Thanks KC

          • tysamigo@aol.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2004
                I think I have solved the mystery of why it's taking my dealer so
                long to repair my mower.

                This repairman is off on Mondays. If he does the work on Tuesdays
                and doesn't order until late then it will be Saturday before the part
                arrives. He is off on weekends & monday so it would be the next
                Tuesday before he can work on it. So each part he installs takes a
                week. Of course all of this is conjecture on my part, so my theory
                still has to be proven. After I have the mower back in my possession
                I will find out for sure.

                Thanks for all your help

                KC

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "kcobra07" <kcobra07@y...> wrote:

                > Please tell me where I can send it for the next time. $20 is not
                > much to pay. It cost me that much in time & gas drive to ths
                shop.
                > I will also have to drive back to the shop to pick it up. My time
                is
                > worth something. That's why I bought a Robo in the first place. :->
                >
                > I'm guessing the service centers have parts on hand and don't have
                > order them from friendly, thus making them faster.
                >
                > BTW, How long does it take friendly to send out a part? If I order
                > part on Tuesday, would I have it by Thursday? or does friendly
                ship
                > via ground, which would mean I would get it by Saturday or Sunday?
                >
                > Thanks KC
                >
                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, tysamigo@a... wrote:
                > > KC,
                > >
                > > Regarding the message I have copied and pasted below, you can
                send
                > your mower
                > > to a service center that is "more in touch" with the product (for
                > about $20)
                > > and have it diagnosed, repaired, tested, and on its way home ONLY
                2
                > days
                > > later. If, however, $20 is to much then the only other choice is
                > to experience
                > > what you are going through right now. The delay must be on
                > Hoover's side. Our
                > > dealers and our own business receives parts within the same week
                > they are
                > > ordered.
                > >
                > > Best Regards,
                > >
                > > Tyler Ramage
                > > Public Affairs
                > > Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                > > Robo Direct Inc.
                > > P: 502.742.ROBO
                > > F: 502.968.9109
                > > tyler@r...
                > > www.robodirect.com
                > >

                > > In a message dated 10/1/2004 2:01:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > > kcobra07@y... writes:
                > > It's a great machine, but you better hope it doesn't break down.
                > If
                > > it does break then you will have to wait a month to get it back,
                > they
                > > don't give loaners and you are at their mercy. That would have
                > been
                > > enough to deter me from purchasing a Robomower. Now it's out in
                > this
                > > group and people can read it.
                > >

                > > Best Regards,
                > >
                > > Tyler Ramage
                > > Public Affairs
                > > Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                > > Robo Direct Inc.
                > > P: 502.742.ROBO
                > > F: 502.968.9109
                > > tyler@r...
                > > www.robodirect.com
              • kcobra07
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Sept 15 - Oct 7. That's how long it takes to get a robomower
                  repaired with a bad front wheel sensor & main board.

                  Just got my mower back today. The new board announces that it's
                  doing the edging. The old board didn't do that. Robo seems to act a
                  little different now, or mabey that's because it's been to long.
                  Seems he makes wider turns now when doing widescan. That's about the
                  only tbing I noticed. The only other thing was the guy had to walk
                  me through the system test. I had to manually set the country code,
                  blades & motors. I finally got it going just as it started to get
                  dark. He ran down a little prematurely only lasting 3 hours. I'm
                  guessing that most of it was due to cutting high grass.

                  Well, I'm hoping he will run for a long time now. I'll keep you
                  updated.

                • tysamigo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 7, 2004
                    KC,

                    I would like to comment, if I may, on part of your post.

                    KC:
                    Sept 15 - Oct 7.  That's how long it takes to get a robomower repaired with a bad front wheel sensor & main board.
                    REPLY:
                    I would highly suggest thinking of an alternative servicing dealer or prearrange something with your current service dealer to ensure something like this won't happen again.  The Service Centers we have trained (IN, MO, TN, KY primarily) have a mower for no more than 1 week.  Some even have a 1-2 day turnaround.  Any robot, of any supported manufacturer, that arrives here for service is normally diagnosed, repaired, tested, and shipped all within 1-2 days (2-3 in peak season of mowing).

                    When a new service center opens they are trained once by us, FR, or both.  After the initial training, each dealer is responsible for staying up to date on servicing FR products.  Dealers do not have to attend training sessions, it is up to each dealer.

                    If you, or anyone for that matter, have a local service center for FR products and you feel that their knowledgebase and/or overall service of an FR product is shy from acceptable, they may phone us or FR directly to schedule a possible training date.  These dealers should know this if they are FR authorized service centers.  It might be helpful to suggest to them to contact either of us for a training schedule, assuming they don't already have one.

                    If you have a complaint about a specific service center, may I suggest you send your comments directly to FR.  I'm certain the issue will be addressed.  Your experience certainly does not reflect FR's business model as I know of it since I have been in the business.

                    There are better alternatives.

                    In a message dated 10/7/2004 9:26:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ron.herring@... writes:
                    Sept 15 - Oct 7.  That's how long it takes to get a robomower
                    repaired with a bad front wheel sensor & main board.

                    Best Regards,

                    Tyler Ramage
                    Public Affairs
                    Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                    Robo Direct Inc.
                    P: 502.742.ROBO
                    F: 502.968.9109
                    tyler@...
                    www.robodirect.com
                  • IGGY and Svetlana
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                      > Just got my mower back today. The new board announces that it's
                      > doing the edging. The old board didn't do that. Robo seems to act a
                      > little different now, or mabey that's because it's been to long.
                      > Seems he makes wider turns now when doing widescan. That's about the
                      > only tbing I noticed.

                      I think you may have version 3.19w (wide) like I do. Check when you are
                      going through the controller - it will tell you the version.

                      The only other thing was the guy had to walk
                      > me through the system test. I had to manually set the country code,
                      > blades & motors. I finally got it going just as it started to get
                      > dark. He ran down a little prematurely only lasting 3 hours. I'm
                      > guessing that most of it was due to cutting high grass.

                      I'd say that high grass will reduce the mowing time 15-20%. How long does it
                      normally mow on normal grass for you? Calculate your numbers and I am
                      positive they'll be in line with 15-20% give or take. How old is your
                      battery? Both of mine are 3+years old now and they are consistently getting
                      3 and 3.5 hours.

                      "Turning Your Home Dream into Reality"

                      Sincerely & Homely Yours :o),

                      IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX Best - Kansas City
                      Direct Office: 913-894-4024 Voice mail: 913-323-5408
                      Toll-free 1-877-550-4449
                      Direct fax: 913-322-4162 Toll-free fax: 1-800-596-4449
                      E-mail: iggykc@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
                      Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
                    • kcobra07
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                        I like your ideas, but I don't think any service center will admit
                        they don't know what they are doing. These guys seem to be getting
                        on the job training. I will take your second suggestion as being the
                        best in contacting FR and then let them contact the service center.
                        I will however make sure that I have an alternative before taking
                        such a measure.

                        I don't think I will be taking the mower to that service center
                        anymore. I hate to say it, but this is also a name brand chain
                        store, so I don't think FR would push very hard to make them attend
                        any training sessions.

                        Please let me know who I need to contact to find out where I an ship
                        the mower the next time I have trouble. You have mentioned them
                        before, but I never see names, numbers or websites.

                        Thanks

                        KC

                      • kcobra07
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                          I'd say that high grass will reduce the mowing time 15-20%. How long
                          does it normally mow on normal grass for you? Calculate your numbers
                          and I am positive they'll be in line with 15-20% give or take. How
                          old is your battery? Both of mine are 3+years old now and they are
                          consistently getting 3 and 3.5 hours.

                          It will usually mow about 4 hours, but that's when I put it out every
                          2 days. I usually let it charge about 36 hours, which throws the
                          time to mow to the next day. I was hoping that the cooler weather
                          would help the mow time.

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, IGGY and Svetlana

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                              KC,

                              Something to consider is a Rapid Charger.  2004 and older models charge the battery in 4-5 (4-6 rated) hours.  The '05 model (which is available in limited numbers) charges the battery in 2-3 hours (proven through our useage as well).

                              This would most certainly increase your mowing capacity.

[...]

                            • RoboticService
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                                Tyler,

                                Please don't take this the wrong way, I just have to ask, If you
                                don't like to solicit, why do you put your signature of contact
                                information at the bottom of every message you post...?

                                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, tysamigo@a... wrote:
                                > KC,
                                > I never like to name specific companies as I do not wish to
                                > solicit. I will send you a separate email with that information.
                                >
                                > Best Regards,
                                >
                                > Tyler Ramage
                                > Public Affairs
                                > Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                                > Robo Direct Inc.
                                > P: 502.742.ROBO
                                > F: 502.968.9109
                                > tyler@r...
                                > www.robodirect.com
                              • kcobra07
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 8, 2004
                                  Okay, Let me see if I can settle this. I read a couple of messages
                                  ahead, but since those were not to me I will not reply to those.
                                  However, this thread does involve me so I can respond.

                                  I was seeking information about other places where I can send my
                                  robomower. I did see the robodirect on his email, but I started to
                                  think about it. Then I went to check my email. His email did not
                                  recommend robodirect, but another place in the state of MO. Now I
                                  don't know if it's connected with him or not, but I needed another
                                  place to send it.

                                  Now please don't think I'm bustin' your balloon. Believe me I'm glad
                                  you asked the question cause it really got me thinking.

                                  Yes, as you pointed out he does have some connection to robodirect,
                                  but you now what? I figure he has more to lose than anybody else by
                                  doing somebody wrong. If I were a dealer and I was a member of this
                                  group and I sent you an invitation. Then I didn't live up to your
                                  expectations. Guess where you would come and tell everybody about
                                  it? You got it, right here for everyone that owns a robomower to
                                  read.

                                  So really, Tyler is sticking his kneck out by offering or
                                  recommending something like that. I really commend him for it and
                                  appreciate his help. I need someone that's going to be dependable
                                  and fast during grass cutting season to work on my mower, those guys
                                  at the shop I'm going to now are just flubbin' around. Then they
                                  have the audacity to make you feel like they did you a favor.

                                  BTW,I don't know about you, but if I were to offer a service to
                                  anyone in this group like that, you better believe I would be working
                                  like a crazy man to make sure you were satisfied.

                                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "RoboticService"
                                  <roboticservice@y...> wrote:

                                  > Tyler,
                                  >
                                  > Please don't take this the wrong way, I just have to ask, If you
                                  > don't like to solicit, why do you put your signature of contact
                                  > information at the bottom of every message you post...?
                                  >
                                  > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, tysamigo@a... wrote:
                                  > > KC,
                                  > > I never like to name specific companies as I do not wish to
                                  > > solicit. I will send you a separate email with that information.
                                  > >
                                  > > Best Regards,
                                  > >
                                  > > Tyler Ramage
                                  > > Public Affairs
                                  > > Customer/Dealer Support Mgr.
                                  > > Robo Direct Inc.
                                  > > P: 502.742.ROBO
                                  > > F: 502.968.9109
                                  > > tyler@r...
                                  > > www.robodirect.com
                                • RoboticService
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 9, 2004
                                    KC,

                                    I appreciate your effort but I did not know there was anything
                                    to settle. As I said, they were only small questions about words
                                    used. The questions for Tyler were not meant as an inquisition.

                                    Thanks again,
                                    RS