Wireless Remote possibilities?

  • petermwallace
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      Greetings,

      I did some searching and did not run across anything specifically,
      but would it be feasible / possible to rig up a wireless remote
      control to drive a robomower? I have some buddies into circuit
      boards, and through relays and say an oldr fashioned dual stalk
      remote you could emulate 8 directions, and with a button you could
      easily toggle the mower button (even without having to hold it
      down). Add on a 802.11b camera, and you could even do this via web
      (that would be mega geeky, but you could actually mow when you are
      travelling). Is this something people would like or even pay for
      (not really for profit, but to cover the parts to make, etc...)? I
      know the web piece would be a no other than the cool factor, but the
      wireless remote seems to be a cool idea to me and a dual stalk
      remote would work much better than the little thumb pad.
    • Roy Ball
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004

        Something that will be really valuable would be a pager function.   That way you dont have to be watching it all the time.  It would advise the user when it has finished, if there are problems, or if somebody has lifted the unit, etc.  THat way you could really have total peace of mind.

        Combine that with the remote functions mentioned below and you have something that people may be willing to pay for.
        >From: "petermwallace" <petermwallace@...>
        >To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [RoboMower] Wireless Remote possibilities?
        >Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:01:24 -0000
        >
        >Greetings,
        >
        >I did some searching and did not run across anything specifically,
        >but would it be feasible / possible to rig up a wireless remote
        >control to drive a robomower?  I have some buddies into circuit
        >boards, and through relays and say an oldr fashioned dual stalk
        >remote you could emulate 8 directions, and with a button you could
        >easily toggle the mower button (even without having to hold it
        >down).  Add on a 802.11b camera, and you could even do this via web
        >(that would be mega geeky, but you could actually mow when you are
        >travelling).  Is this something people would like or even pay for
        >(not really for profit, but to cover the parts to make, etc...)?  I
        >know the web piece would be a no other than the cool factor, but the
        >wireless remote seems to be a cool idea to me and a dual stalk
        >remote would work much better than the little thumb pad.

        On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there!
      • IGGY and Svetlana
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004

          > Something that will be really valuable would be a pager function. That
          > way you don't have to be watching it all the time. It would advise the
          > user when it has finished, if there are problems, or if somebody has
          > lifted the unit, etc. That way you could really have total peace of mind.
          >
          > Combine that with the remote functions mentioned below and you have
          > something that people may be willing to pay for.

          Nobody yet came with any aftermarket solution, it's possible, just too much
          hassle. I don't think FR will make this available as an option for years to
          come (3-5 years possibly).

          I had at one point a baby monitor set up in the hole of the battery
          compartment. I disconnected the sound wires from the receiver and had the
          sound red indicator on - it worked well as you could tell when RM was not
          working - the noise level was only the street background. I posted some
          e-mails about this 1 year ago - see in archives. I since misplaced the
          monitor somewhere, I'll look it up as we moved and it maybe in boxes
          somewhere. The reception was good thought the whole yard. Now on a bigger
          yard I think it'll work too.

          Sincerely,

          IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX Best - Kansas City
          Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free 1-877-550-4449
          Voice mail: 913-323-5408
          E-mail: iggykc@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
          Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
        • Shawn R. Lin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004
            Message
            That's a very good idea!
            I wonder if anything in the Robomower gets set to low (ground) for any of those events?  If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to interface one of those pagers designed to work with car alarms.

            Shawn
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
              <work much better than the little thumb pad.>
              ------------------------
              Most anything would.......
              On my RL-800, it's horrid.
              You would think an "upscale" product like the RM would
              have a smooth & silky thumb pad instead of that clunky, clumsy
              horrid little
              pad.

              Add that to our "wish list", hey Iggy?

              But I still love the little yellow worker-bee. : )

              WB