RE: [RoboMower] battery

  • Eric Quarnstrom
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      Message
      I have had this happen to me a couple times now (robomower less than 2 months old). I hadn't equated it with the condition of the battery but rather the plug for charging. Mine was *very* hard to insert. So much so that I took a file and removed some of the plastic so it would slide into the receptacle on the control unit easier. The last time, I just unplugged it from the control unit and plugged it back in and it was happy again. Prior to that, I also checked the outlets in the room but other devices on the circuit were still working. Interesting problem, huh?

      Hope this isn't a symptom of something more sinister.

      Eric Q.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
        I had a similar - but not identical battery issue which was handled
        quite efficienty by the FR people. I now have new cells. From the
        other replys here I suspect your issue is different - but I wouldn't
        hesitate to contact them. I would first make sure it's not something
        simple about your lawn (I assume you aren't letting the grass go for
        three weeks without any mowing and then expecting the RM to handle
        that).

        My experience with the FR folks was very positive.

        TL

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Cracraft <cracraft@c...>
        wrote:
        > So my Robomower, which is in the garage behind my office, started
        making a
        > weird
        > sound. Since it's under one of my kids bedrooms and they're asleep,
        > decided to
        > go out and investigate. It has been 2-3 weeks since I last used it.
        >
        > I went in and it had been saying to check something. Instead of
        saying
        > charging.
        > I have no reason to suspect power in the room is bad. After trying
        a few things
        > like pulling the plug, putting it back in, getting the same
        warning, I
        > pulled the
        > battery out and unplugged from the wall.
        >
        > My fear is that the batter is a clunker, less than a year old, and
        already
        > failing.
        >
        > Anyone have some advice? I don't want to spend a lot of money for
        what
        > SHOULD work.
        >
        > I have used this on average about one every 3 weeks for the past 11
        months
        > without
        > incident but gradually stranger battery operation (shorter runs
        before
        > needing a recharge.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Stuart
      • tyt9248
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
          Stuart,

          I had the same type of problem with my RL800.  I took my RL800 to the local service dealer.  They replaced the main board.

          Tony

          Stuart Cracraft <cracraft@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Stuart Cracraft
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
            Okay this is something I can sink my teeth into. Thanks for the meat.

            The question now is, since I bought this at the amorphous, monolithic
            SEARS.COM,
            who would replace my RL800 main board???

            At 12:30 PM 8/1/2004, you wrote:
            >Stuart,
            >
            >I had the same type of problem with my RL800. I took my RL800 to the
            >local service dealer. They replaced the main board.
            >
            >Tony
            >

            >Stuart Cracraft <cracraft@...> wrote:
            >So my Robomower, which is in the garage behind my office, started making a
            >weird
            >sound. Since it's under one of my kids bedrooms and they're asleep, I
            >decided to
            >go out and investigate. It has been 2-3 weeks since I last used it.
            >
            >I went in and it had been saying to check something. Instead of saying
            >charging.
            >I have no reason to suspect power in the room is bad. After trying a few
            >things
            >like pulling the plug, putting it back in, getting the same warning, I
            >pulled the
            >battery out and unplugged from the wall.
            >
            >My fear is that the batter is a clunker, less than a year old, and already
            >failing.
            >
            >Anyone have some advice? I don't want to spend a lot of money for what
            >SHOULD work.
            >
            >I have used this on average about one every 3 weeks for the past 11 months
            >without
            >incident but gradually stranger battery operation (shorter runs before
            >needing a recharge.)
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Stuart
            >

            >Do you Yahoo!?
            ><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/security/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html>Yahoo!
            >Mail - You care about security. So do we.
            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12950rkt9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041687:HM/EXP=1091475047/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>
            >click here
            >
            >[]

            > *
            > <mailto:RoboMower-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>RoboMower-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > *
          • tyt9248
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
              Contact Tyler or find a local dealer (if you not live in a small town), who provides the service, from FR's web site.

              Tyler will provider a fast service but you will pay for one-way shipping.  If you local dealer does not have the parts, you will wait for a LONG LONG time.

              At 12:30 PM 8/1/2004, you wrote:
              >Stuart,
              >
              >I had the same type of problem with my RL800.  I took my RL800 to the
              >local service dealer.  They replaced the main board.
              >
              >Tony

              Do you Yahoo!?