Mower stuck at wheel

  • IGGY and Svetlana - Kansas City Homes &
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoboMower/files/RoboMower%20Videos/
      is the link to the video of my mower that got stuck at the wheel of my
      neighbor's car.

      The mower hit it at the right corner and right speed. It was sitting there
      for 3 minutes or so before I hit the front bumper and the mower turned
      around and went into scanning mode.

      An interesting thing the mower stopped for a second or so and then began
      mowing again. I did not see the message on the LCD screen of what was
      happening. I wish I did.

      I don't know what the mower would have done if it was sitting at the wheel
      for a longer time - perhpas 5-10 minutes. It appears that the bumper impact
      was not enough to let the mower change the course, however, somehow it felt
      something was going on and the wheels where not turning. Don't know if the
      mower would have shut off in a couple of minutes. Apparently, there is no
      mechanism (at least in the 500/550 models) to reverse the mower if the
      wheels are not turning but the blades are rotating. Would be nice. Don't
      know if this exists in the newer models or not.

      I can see something like this happening. The driver may not see the mower
      and gets in the car from the other side of the street and drives off ripping
      the rubber bumper off or getting the mower squashed completely.

      Good thing we are moving :o)

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX Best - Kansas City
      Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free 1-877-550-4449
      Voice mail: 913-323-5408
      E-mail: iggykc@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
    • Wild Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
        The RMs are dumber than a box of rocks in this regard.
        Sometimes my RL800 will bump into a newly transplanted (big) tree
        and spin its wheels
        in the semi-loose soil/sand.
        It'll just stay in that one spot digging a rabbit hole until it
        ~finally~ stops and displays
        a "start elsewhere" message or (once-said) "overheat".

        OTOH..........
        Sometimes when it hits an obstacle or has run out to the
        perimeter,
        it will sit and pause for what seems like a good 30 sec or more
        before continuing mowing.
        It pauses as if it's "thinking" about what behavior is next.

        If you've ever seen iRobot's Roomba "get unstuck" behaviors,
        you'd be impressed.
        There are several unstuck subroutines/behaviors.....
        and it'll try one behavior after another until it (usually) gets
        itself unstuck/untrapped.

        Even with the current shortcomings, I like the RM.
        I'm having to make PITA yard modifications to accommodate the
        but if I do it right, I'll only have to do it once..........
        and I'll never have to push a mower ever again in my yard.

        It's an acceptable trade-off.

        WB