Re: [RoboMower] Re: rl800 vs rl850 which should I buy

  • stuarth44@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
      A few responses...

      <<May I ask you why you bought the mower then if they'll be BK soon in your
      opinion? Did you run their balance sheet? - FR is a private company, I don't
      know you'll be able to do so :o) Do you know their profit margins? Do you
      know the # of units they sold last and this year todate?>>

      I think the mower is very cool.  I thought it was worth taking the risk.  Generally when a company goes out of business, someone will offer support for a while at least.  I don't know have any of the information about the financials of FR.  I know they went bankrupt once.  I know that they have raised prices significantly on their new models.  It may be that they have decided to go for a higher per unit profit as opposed to trying to sell more units.  Maybe they can be successful doing that.

      <<I have absolutely no problems to pay top dollar for top service and top
      product - my time is more valuable ($300-500 per hour) when I work :o) and
      do not send e-mails to RoboMower group than go and shop for a product on the
      Net and get every little penny out of the poor dealer :) - but again, it's
      me ...>>

      Neither do I, if there is a major benefit to it.  My billable rate is high too.  I don't like wasting my time OR money.  I would never over pay for something as simple as pegs, though.  They are all the same.  I wouldn't waste hours looking though for the best price.

      The dealer I bought from (automatetools.com) seems very knowledgeable and was very pleasant to deal with.  I know there's a chance they won't be around in the future.  That's the case to some extent with every dealer.  Every company is new at some point.  I like giving new places a chance.

      I would respond to the rest of your points, but as with yours, my time is valuable and I don't have the time to respond point by point to such a lengthy message.

      Stuart

    • stuarth44@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
        I just thought about an experience I had that is interesting given the direction this discussion is going.  My mother uses oxygen and a little over a year ago I found that there was a new very portable oxygen concentrator available.  It was in extremely limited supply.  I found a place that sold it for $5,000, which was list price.

        The man at the dealer told me he didn't discount, because he gives great service, etc., and that it would be worth it to spend the extra money and get it from him.  I found another dealer that sold it for $3,000.  I bought it at the cheaper place and saved $2,000.

        Guess what?  The expensive, "great service" dealer is OUT OF BUSINESS!  If I bought from him, I would have wasted $2,000 for nothing.  The cheaper dealer I ended up purchasing it from is still in business and although we haven't had any problems with the unit, they call now and then and see how it working etc.

        Sometimes spending more money isn't the answer!

        Stuart

        I have absolutely no problems to pay top dollar for top service and top
        product - my time is more valuable ($300-500 per hour) when I work :o) and
        do not send e-mails to RoboMower group than go and shop for a product on the
        Net and get every little penny out of the poor dealer :) - but again, it's
        me ...

      • bluetonemedia
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
          I would have to agree with Stuart that really any dealer can go out
          business at any time for any reason.
          The dealer I bought mine from is a Magic Fence Dealer. His number is
          9102325858 if you want to give him a call. Also he has been in
          business for over 10 years, but I don't care about his services that
          are included I don't use them or have a need for them. He also sold
          my my first rl550. Honestly I hope that in 4 to 5 years from now
          that I can throw away my cheaper priced robomower that I bought and
          afford to buy the newer model out there with all the money that I
          have saved over time from buying cheaper for the same product.

          here is an example I have

          I bought my first laptop direct from ibm with a three year warranty
          for around $4000 around 3 and ahalf years done the road it crapped
          out. I called ibm and they would fix it for around $200 more which
          is a good deal. But instead I went on ebay and bought a laptop that
          by then was 4 times as fast as my first one for only $500 and have
          had it for the past year now if it craps out I can afford to buy 7
          more laptops at that cost.

          So saving the money makes since in alot of scenarios

        • jayamec@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, stuarth44@a... wrote:
            > I'm not sure it really matters in the long run, because if
            > Friendly keeps raising their prices, they will be bankrupt again

            Again...hahaha, they are owned by Hoover now.

            www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docView_Archive.asp?did=629140
          • stuarth44@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
              That's definitely a good thing.  Notice the tiny amount that Hoover paid for them?  Hopefully Hoover will take some management control of the company and start marketing the product better.