New Member

  • khawn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
      Hey Guys. This is my first post on this board. I was browsing the
      web looking for info on a RoboMower and came across this board. I'm
      not sure which model I should buy. It will probably be the one that
      I can buy on Ebay at the best price. Is the L800 all that much
      better than a 550? I would like one that can be "trained" to mow in
      straight rows like a regular lawn mower, but maybe that isn't really
      a big deal. Does anyone have any thoughts about these mowers that
      are being sold on Ebay? I know the regular price on a 550 is about
      $700, but they are going for $225 to $275 on Ebay. I don't know if
      the warranty will be any good or not.

      A couple of questions. Will the RoboMower cross sidewalks OK? I
      have a "cobblestone" type sidewalk in my back yard and it would be a
      pain to put a perimeter wire along it. If there are small trees or
      scrubs near a fence, will the mower get jammed between the fence and
      the scrub? Also, what do you about bringing the unit back to the
      charger when it poops out on the other side of the yard? Is there a
      way of pulling it, or pushing it, when it is dead?

      Last question for right now. I'm assuming that everyone on this
      board is happy with their Robo. Should I think twice before buying
      one? I have a samll yard (maybe 3000 sq ft); the ground is level and
      fairly smooth. I have a two clothes line posts, 3 small flower
      gardens,St. Augustine grass, 3 trees and 3 bushes (all of which are
      on the perimeter of the yard - except the posts). Am I a candidate
      for a Robo?

      Ken Hawn
      Jacksonville
    • IGGY and Svetlana - Kansas City Homes &
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
        From: "khawn" <khawn8@...>
        > Hey Guys. This is my first post on this board. I was browsing the
        > web looking for info on a RoboMower and came across this board. I'm
        > not sure which model I should buy. It will probably be the one that
        > I can buy on Ebay at the best price. Is the L800 all that much
        > better than a 550?

        800 has a better mowing software, but for the size of your yard, you are OK
        with 550. eBay sells older 500 and 550 mowers, you should only buy one from
        FriendlyRobotics - they sell there too. Make sure it has RoboScan2 software
        and knobby tires if you are buying RL500 - there are some of them around
        there. I have RL500 that has been converted into 550 by software, but it
        orignailly had knobby tires.

        I would like one that can be "trained" to mow in
        > straight rows like a regular lawn mower, but maybe that isn't really
        > a big deal.

        Only random mowing pattern now.

        Does anyone have any thoughts about these mowers that
        > are being sold on Ebay? I know the regular price on a 550 is about
        > $700, but they are going for $225 to $275 on Ebay. I don't know if
        > the warranty will be any good or not.

        FR offers 6 months warranty on their refurbished mower.

        > A couple of questions. Will the RoboMower cross sidewalks OK? I
        > have a "cobblestone" type sidewalk in my back yard and it would be a
        > pain to put a perimeter wire along it.

        You can put the wire in the sidewalk groves if you have them and silicone
        them.

        If there are small trees or
        > scrubs near a fence, will the mower get jammed between the fence and
        > the scrub?

        Yes, I think for normal operation 6-8 feet is recommneded. You can create an
        island.

        Also, what do you about bringing the unit back to the
        > charger when it poops out on the other side of the yard? Is there a
        > way of pulling it, or pushing it, when it is dead?

        There is enough battery life to manually drive it using the remote control.
        The batery is not completely depleted.

        > Last question for right now. I'm assuming that everyone on this
        > board is happy with their Robo. Should I think twice before buying
        > one? I have a samll yard (maybe 3000 sq ft); the ground is level and
        > fairly smooth. I have a two clothes line posts, 3 small flower
        > gardens,St. Augustine grass, 3 trees and 3 bushes (all of which are
        > on the perimeter of the yard - except the posts). Am I a candidate
        > for a Robo?

        You will be OK. Post a sketch of your yard to "yards" in "files" at
        www.yahoogroups.com/groups/robomower - we'll be able to evaluate.

        Also, check out manual in the "files" section.

        Sincerely,

        IGGY Dybal

        Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

        E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
        Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
        Fax: 913-451-5361
      • Clint D
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2004
          Welcome to the group! To answer your questions:
          the L800 all that much
          better than a 550?
          Since you only have a 3000 sqft, the RL500, RL550 will do just fine. THe RL800 has anti-theft and learn edge. If you have a narrow area on your yard the RL800 also have a mode to help the mower not get stuck. Send is a sketch of your yard so we can get a better idea of what your yard consist of as far as obtsicles.

          I would like one that can be "trained" to mow in
          straight rows like a regular lawn mower, but maybe that isn't really
          a big deal.

          Nope....this cant be done

          Does anyone have any thoughts about these mowers that
          are being sold on Ebay?  I know the regular price on a 550 is about
          $700, but they are going for $225 to $275 on Ebay.  I don't know if
          the warranty will be any good or not.

          Be VERY careful when ordering from Ebay. Friendly Robotics will NOT pay for warranty work from an un-authorized dealer. Some unauthrized dealers offer their own warranty repair. My advice is to be VERY VERY careful with ebay. Make sure you purchase fron an authorized dealer.

          A couple of questions.  Will the RoboMower cross sidewalks OK?  I
          have a "cobblestone" type sidewalk in my back yard and it would be a
          pain to put a perimeter wire along it.  If there are small trees or
          scrubs near a fence, will the mower get jammed between the fence and
          the scrub?  Also, what do you about bringing the unit back to the
          charger when it poops out on the other side of the yard?  Is there a
          way of pulling it, or pushing it, when it is dead?

          Many users here have the mower cross sidewalks with no problems. The minimum distance between 2 objects is 3 feet. The distance between an object and wire should be greater than 4 feet...I think...dont hold me to those numbers! There's a manual controller...it's similar to a video game controller. You pull it out and drive it where you want to go after the batteries die. There's plenty of juice left to drive it where you need to go.
          Last question for right now.  I'm assuming that everyone on this
          board is happy with their Robo.  Should I think twice before buying
          one?  I have a samll yard (maybe 3000 sq ft); the ground is level and
          fairly smooth.  I have a two clothes line posts, 3 small flower
          gardens,St. Augustine grass, 3 trees and 3 bushes (all of which are
          on the perimeter of the yard - except the posts).  Am I a candidate
          for a Robo?
          From what it sounds like, your yard should be perfect for it....You will not need the advanced models since your yard is so small. The RL500 will be more than enough to cover your lot. Since your yard is so small, the obsticles there should pose no problem. It'll eventually find its way around them.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10, 2004
            I would like one that can be "trained" to mow in
            straight rows like a regular lawn mower, but maybe that isn't really
            a big deal

            ans jmw: When i started useing robo I thought the same thing... I
            wanted the same look as the push mower... I can tell you that the
            look of the cut of robo is much better looking and much better for
            your lawn...
          • IGGY and Svetlana - Kansas City Homes &
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10, 2004
              > ans jmw: When i started useing robo I thought the same thing... I
              > wanted the same look as the push mower... I can tell you that the
              > look of the cut of robo is much better looking and much better for
              > your lawn...

              The grass cut is more like "a sea of green" or "carpet like" when your grass
              is smooth and you cannot tell where the beginning or end is, it's all
              blended together.

              Recently, I noticed that many of my neighbors stopped bagging grass and are
              mulching it with their mowers - it's as healthy as RoboMower, but RoboMower
              will go over each stop on average 10 times and the rpms of the blades is
              5,800 vs. under 3,000 for gas mowers, so it mulches it better. They are
              still not smart :o) - they need to buy a robomower :o).

              I have been keeping my grass really tall since I have removed the front and
              side wires in my zones. I am going to grow it even longer for a couple of
              weeks, then mow with regular mower on the edges and lay new perimeter wire
              with ONLY ONE WIRE TO COVER 3 ZONES (FRONT, BACK AND SIDE), then robomow and
              take some videos of high grass cutting.

              Sincerely,

              IGGY Dybal

              Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

              E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
              Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
              Fax: 913-451-5361
            • ISG - Carll Frye
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2006
                Carll Frye owner of two robomowers located in Bellevue, Washington requests to join the group.

              • Melissa
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I see this group is almost 100% FR, but there doesn't seem to be any
                  other resource for other brands.

                  We're running a fleet of 6 Husqvarna Automowers, mowing almost 2
                  acres. It started as an experiment last summer when we found a batch
                  of mowers and parts on eBay. We got 2 mowers working and started with
                  the flat, open back yard. Now the mowers mow the entire yard with just
                  a little assistance from John Deere on a steep hill. We've extended
                  the perimeter to the neighbor's yard so he no longer has to mow around
                  the treeline between our yards. He's thrilled with the help.

                  I'll just lurk, but if there are any other Automower owners looking for
                  help or resources, we've gotten pretty good at fixing them and locating
                  parts.

                  Melissa in SE MI