connection board removal

  • harryturner2002
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2014

      Does this pull out without removing the top cover of the robomow?

      My RL800 is showing a check power fault when connecting the charger and it's not the charger or yellow cable / socket.

      Thanks.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2014
          Fuses are ok.
          Is there any way to get the board out without taking the top off?
          Maybe cut a bit out around the board and glass it back in?

        • Micha
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2014
            No way

            where ever you cut you will cut a cable. It's easy to take off the top. first pull out all fuses and the plugs from the tablet. Then turn the mover face down on a smooth surface and release all the black clips on the bottom side. After that you use a big flat screwdriver to slip the yellow hooks out. turn the mover to his wheels and lift the top off.

            Micha

            Is there any way to get the board out without taking the top off?

            Maybe cut a bit out around the board and glass it back in?

          • Lee Hart
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2014
              harryturner2002@... [RoboMower] wrote:

              > Fuses are ok.
              > Is there any way to get the board out without taking the top off?
              > Maybe cut a bit out around the board and glass it back in?

              No way that I know of. Why are you so reluctant to take the top off?
              It's not all that hard. On my RL850, there are about ten black plastic
              blocks on the bottom, each about 1.5" x 3/8", each with two slots in the
              side. Stick a screwdriver or small claw hammer in the slot, and pry it
              out. Once they are all removed, the top comes off.

              Beware! There is a flat cable that goes from the bottom to the control
              panel and charging socket on the top. You must lift the cover just
              enough to get your hand in there, and unplug this flat cable from the
              control panel/charging socket assembly. There are two locks that you
              push outwards to unlock it.

              The hard part for me was to get the cover back *on*! Each little slot
              and tab has to be in exactly the right place, all at the same time.

              --
              Life is basically simple. You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works.
              You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 20, 2014
                Ok I've taken the body off - very easy as everyone said, thanks.

                Looks like I need to replace the ribbon cable between the connector board and motherboard - 25v between pins 1&2 at the board with charger connected, drops to 5v at the mb side of the cable.

                Are these easy to buy or should I just shorten the one I have?

              • Lee Hart
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2014
                  harryturner2002@... [RoboMower] wrote:
                  > Looks like I need to replace the ribbon cable between the connector
                  > board and motherboard - 25v between pins 1&2 at the board with charger
                  > connected, drops to 5v at the mb side of the cable.
                  >
                  > Are these easy to buy or should I just shorten the one I have?

                  On my RL850, this cable is just *barely* long enough as it is. I can
                  barely get my hand in there to plug/unplug it. The connectors are
                  completely generic, and easy to find. So I would suggest making a new
                  cable (slightly longer) to replace it. Just be sure when putting it back
                  together not to pinch the cable on the large vertical post in the center.

                  --
                  Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily
                  available, they will create their own problems. -- Scott Adams
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2014
                    Friend came round with his RL350 and we used his cable and connection board, but the 'check power' error message still occurred. Using his battery didn't stop it either.

                    Presumably this is a mb fault - any pointers as to which components to check?

                    Mower works fine if you unplug the charger, so I'll have to charge the battery with a car charger with it out of the mower.