Robomower 850 goes tick-tick-tick

  • Lee Hart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2014
      I wrote earlier this month about my "stuttering" Robomower. It turned
      out to be easy to fix. The quick-connect terminals that plug onto the
      wheel motors were a little bit loose. I tightend them up, and it mowed
      the lawn successfully (two zones, and two charges per zone).

      So this week, I started it up again. It ran for about 10 minutes, and
      quit. It was making a "tick-tick-tick" sound, about 2 ticks per second.

      The LCD display was frozen, and there was no response to any keys. I
      removed the battery pack, and dropped it back in. It just went right
      back to the ticking. I checked the battery voltages, and they are fine
      (about 12.85v per battery).

      Any one have any ideas on what went wrong, or how to find it?
      --
      All children are born as engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
      just playing; they're building and learning. They are engineering.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
          R T southbound03@... [RoboMower] wrote:
          > First thought for a clicking is a simple stick caught in the wheels but
          > this isn't your problem, I think.

          No; nothing is running.

          > Could the clicking actually be arcing due to a loose wire or connection
          > that otherwise would be electrically causing it?

          No. It is absolutely regular, like a clock ticking. And, it is coming
          from the speaker, not from anything in the mower.

          My guess is that the microcomputer is "crashed" and not running its
          program sanely.
          --
          Heat is the "bullshit detector" of efficiency claims. -- Jeff Shanab
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
            'cz' cz@... [RoboMower] wrote:
            > Is the mower dead?

            Effectively, yes. The LCD displays the normal initial startup message,
            and the top light turns on. But nothing else works. The buttons have no
            effect.

            --
            Heat is the "bullshit detector" of efficiency claims. -- Jeff Shanab
            --
            Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
          • CZ Unit
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
              On 6/9/2014 8:37 PM, Lee Hart leeahart@... [RoboMower] wrote:
              > 'cz' cz@... [RoboMower] wrote:
              > > Is the mower dead?
              >
              > Effectively, yes. The LCD displays the normal initial startup message,
              > and the top light turns on. But nothing else works. The buttons have no
              > effect.

              Hm. I remember when I put the battery in I hear the click from the
              speaker when it is starting up. Is the battery voltage sagging then
              recovering?

              Put a quick meter on the batteries and see if you're dropping low on
              some sort of diagnostic test.