Time for new Batteries

  • catimann
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2014

      I have an RL1000 and it needs a new set of Batteries.  I could just go look for something with the same ratings but is there a brand/s that have performed better?

    • Tim Wolff
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2014
        The EB20-12 batteries from Digi-Key have proven the most reliable over the years. Phone them to place the order and ensure that they are in stock AND that they do not substitute another brand/type. If you pay them "old school" by mailing in a check or money order, the shipping is on them.

        I've tried inexpensive batteries from a local shop that didn't last a single season. The Tempest batteries I tried also fell well short of the EB20-12 batteries.

        More info on batteries on the wiki:

        Tim

        To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        From: catimann@...
        Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 22:48:30 -0700
        Subject: [RoboMower] Time for new Batteries

        I have an RL1000 and it needs a new set of Batteries.  I could just go look for something with the same ratings but is there a brand/s that have performed better?

      • jeff
        Message 3 of 20 , May 4, 2014
          Many in the group has bought from DIgi-Key Corp. I have several times. In 2012 I got 4 and they are still going fine. DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor

          522-1031-ND
          BATT VRLA 12V 20.0AH
          On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:01 PM, "catimann@..." <catimann@...> wrote:

          I have an RL1000 and it needs a new set of Batteries.  I could just go look for something with the same ratings but is there a brand/s that have performed better?

        • Richard Gard

            Message 5 of 20 , May 4, 2014
              Well, I've run my mower on everything from Lithium, to NiMH, to
              cheap-ish PowerSonic batteries. I'm going to give the DigiKey batteries
              a shot; just ordered two from the web site.

              If they send me UB's, I'm going to tell them to rot. But the lawn is
              growing, and I don't want to drag out the tractor every time the front
              yard needs something.

              As for the yard condition: One of my RL500's has a problem where it
              doesn't realize the front wheel is down, the other is fine. I need a new
              processor board. One of my three signal generators is down.

              The perimeter wire is unknown in the front, cut in several places in the
              back. I might be running new wire back there, what a mess. :-)

              Message 6 of 20 , May 4, 2014
                DON'T ORDER WITHOUT DOING THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK!

                Digikey has a thing hidden in their policy... IF you pay with a physical check, you get FREE SHIPPING.

                Let that sink in.  Free shipping on ~35 lbs of battery.

                Yeah it's awkward to mail an order sheet with a physical check, but it's totally worth it.  That's a LOT of shipping weight!

                Danny

                To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                From: catimann@...
                Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 22:48:30 -0700

                Message 7 of 20 , May 4, 2014
                  On 5/4/2014 1:56 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
                  > Digikey has a thing hidden in their policy... IF you pay with a physical
                  > check, you get FREE SHIPPING.

                  Ah well. :-)

                  CZ
                • Lee Hart
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2014
                    CZ Unit wrote:
                    > Well, I've run my mower on everything from Lithium, to NiMH, to
                    > cheap-ish PowerSonic batteries. I'm going to give the DigiKey
                    > batteries a shot; just ordered two from the web site.
                    > If they send me UB's, I'm going to tell them to rot.

                    DigiKey is a great company. I do a lot of business with them. They will
                    give you exactly what you ordered.

                    I agree; UB (Universal Battery) are cheap chinese junk. But some people
                    *want* cheap junk. That's what keeps Walmart in business. :-/

                    Powersonic are a middle-quality battery. I've used them, and they are
                    decent batteries. But I'm actually using Enersys "Genesis" G12V13Ah10EP
                    batteries in my Robomower. They are amazing. They are now 8 years old,
                    and still going! Just don't use the stock Robomower charger, or they'll
                    die young like any other battery that gets chronically overcharged.

                    --
                    Ring the bells that still can ring
                    Forget your perfect offering
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5, 2014
                      How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?

                      Chuck

                      To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                      From: leeahart@...
                      Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 14:41:13 -0500
                      Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Time for new Batteries

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 5, 2014
                        Charles Grenkow wrote:
                        > How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery
                        > holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?

                        I have a Robomower 850, and they just dropped right in. The height and
                        length are fine. The width is a little more, but the front "flap" still
                        folds up and it fits in the mower.

                        I broke one of the latches to get the cover off the battery box -- I
                        didn't know how they released until *after* I had it open. :-( So, I
                        added two long bolts that go through the handle and out the top, with
                        nuts on them to hold it together.

                        Does this group allow attaching photos? I could send you a picture.

                        --
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget your perfect offering
                        There is a crack in everything
                        That's how the light gets in.
                        -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                        --
                        Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
                      • Austin Morgan
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5, 2014
                          The group does not allow attachments. You can upload files via the web
                          interface though.

                          Austin

                          On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 03:25:29PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
                          > Charles Grenkow wrote:
                          > > How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery
                          > > holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?
                          >
                          > I have a Robomower 850, and they just dropped right in. The height and
                          > length are fine. The width is a little more, but the front "flap" still
                          > folds up and it fits in the mower.
                          >
                          > I broke one of the latches to get the cover off the battery box -- I
                          > didn't know how they released until *after* I had it open. :-( So, I
                          > added two long bolts that go through the handle and out the top, with
                          > nuts on them to hold it together.
                          >
                          > Does this group allow attaching photos? I could send you a picture.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Ring the bells that still can ring
                          > Forget your perfect offering
                          > There is a crack in everything
                          > That's how the light gets in.
                          > -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                          > --
                          > Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------
                          >
                          > Yahoo Groups Links

                        • ronald heinz
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2014
                            I still have 1 rl500 irobotics mower left $400.00. In goodm working condition. Have fast charger and slow charger. Two battery packs with one with bad battery. Perimeter switch manual etc. Ron Heinz papillion,ne. ron200068005@....
                            On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:47 PM, Austin Morgan <admorgan@...> wrote:

                            The group does not allow attachments. You can upload files via the web
                            interface though.

                            Austin

                            On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 03:25:29PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
                            > Charles Grenkow wrote:
                            > > How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery
                            > > holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?
                            >
                            > I have a Robomower 850, and they just dropped right in. The height and
                            > length are fine. The width is a little more, but the front "flap" still
                            > folds up and it fits in the mower.
                            >
                            > I broke one of the latches to get the cover off the battery box -- I
                            > didn't know how they released until *after* I had it open. :-( So, I
                            > added two long bolts that go through the handle and out the top, with
                            > nuts on them to hold it together.
                            >
                            > Does this group allow attaching photos? I could send you a picture.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Ring the bells that still can ring
                            > Forget your perfect offering
                            > There is a crack in everything
                            > That's how the light gets in.
                            > -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                            > --
                            > Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                          • jeff
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 10, 2014
                              I agree with the manual order and check for free shipping. I did it and saved a bundle!
                              On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:28 AM, ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

                              I still have 1 rl500 irobotics mower left $400.00. In goodm working condition. Have fast charger and slow charger. Two battery packs with one with bad battery. Perimeter switch manual etc. Ron Heinz papillion,ne. ron200068005@....
                              On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:47 PM, Austin Morgan <admorgan@...> wrote:

                              The group does not allow attachments. You can upload files via the web
                              interface though.

                              Austin

                              On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 03:25:29PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
                              > Charles Grenkow wrote:
                              > > How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery
                              > > holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?
                              >
                              > I have a Robomower 850, and they just dropped right in. The height and
                              > length are fine. The width is a little more, but the front "flap" still
                              > folds up and it fits in the mower.
                              >
                              > I broke one of the latches to get the cover off the battery box -- I
                              > didn't know how they released until *after* I had it open. :-( So, I
                              > added two long bolts that go through the handle and out the top, with
                              > nuts on them to hold it together.
                              >
                              > Does this group allow attaching photos? I could send you a picture.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Ring the bells that still can ring
                              > Forget your perfect offering
                              > There is a crack in everything
                              > That's how the light gets in.
                              > -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                              > --
                              > Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
                              >

                              > ------------------------------------
                              >
                              > Yahoo Groups Links

                            • jeff
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 10, 2014
                                Is lithium now available? where and how much? worth it?
                                On Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:34 AM, jeff <rainycityguy@...> wrote:
                                I agree with the manual order and check for free shipping. I did it and saved a bundle!
                                On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:28 AM, ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

                                I still have 1 rl500 irobotics mower left $400.00. In goodm working condition. Have fast charger and slow charger. Two battery packs with one with bad battery. Perimeter switch manual etc. Ron Heinz papillion,ne. ron200068005@....
                                On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:47 PM, Austin Morgan <admorgan@...> wrote:

                                The group does not allow attachments. You can upload files via the web
                                interface though.

                                Austin

                                On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 03:25:29PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
                                > Charles Grenkow wrote:
                                > > How do you get two Genesis G12V13Ah10EP batteries to fit in the battery
                                > > holder they are a fair bit wider than the EB20's?
                                >
                                > I have a Robomower 850, and they just dropped right in. The height and
                                > length are fine. The width is a little more, but the front "flap" still
                                > folds up and it fits in the mower.
                                >
                                > I broke one of the latches to get the cover off the battery box -- I
                                > didn't know how they released until *after* I had it open. :-( So, I
                                > added two long bolts that go through the handle and out the top, with
                                > nuts on them to hold it together.
                                >
                                > Does this group allow attaching photos? I could send you a picture.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Ring the bells that still can ring
                                > Forget your perfect offering
                                > There is a crack in everything
                                > That's how the light gets in.
                                > -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
                                > --
                                > Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm
                                >

                                > ------------------------------------
                                >
                                > Yahoo Groups Links

                              • fiestabickerton
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 21, 2014

                                     hello

                                  I bought two robomow rl 500 devices this week, i try to make them work.

                                  I,m loading now, it is loading more than 24 hours now, still going on.

                                  the (robomower 900 ma( loader is hot , the baterries are hand warm.

                                  Do i read this as you intended,  do not use the method mentioned in the manaul to load the batteries with the use of the connector in the cradle.

                                  could you elaborate on this

                                  greetings

                                  Fiesta

                                • Richard Gard
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 21, 2014
                                    how old are the batteries?

                                    if they are more than 3 years old they are likely dead - you can charge dead batteries but they cannot hold charge.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 21, 2014
                                      If the batteries are both warm to the touch, they have taken all the charge they are going to take. Running the mower and seeing how long the pack runs the mower will tell you if the batteries are any good or not.

                                      Tim

                                      To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 21, 2014

                                        hello members,

                                        I did do my first atempt to mow (hand mode till now), it is not a big garden but the batteries did hold for the complete garden (about 100 square meters). The batery level indicator did fluctuate a bit during operation, but when the m

                                        i did drive the rl 500 to the back of my house, and did connect the loader again as is written in the manual.

                                        The batery level indicator did fluctuate a bit during operation, but when the mower was on the loader again, about one quart was taken/blanket. Can i conclude something based on this info?.

                                        What is a bit strange for me is that the manual does write it takes 24 hours, but in my situation it does not stop after 24 hours till now, it was about 27 hours with one short interruption.

                                        sorry for the many words, but i,m glad the device did work till now, i do not want to corrupt it, or damage the battery by following the manual instructions (keep it on the loader).

                                        greetings

                                        fiesta

                                        europe

                                      • fiestabickerton
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 21, 2014

                                          Hello

                                          I do not know how old they are, but i did my first job now manually, about 100 square meters, without a problem.

                                          It does not stop loading, does this indicate something, i had it loaded for about 26/27 hours, and the lcd display did not mention it is totally loaded.

                                          The manual says, keep it on the loader Always, so i do till now, but i communicate also because i do not want to damage anything.

                                          greetings

                                          fiesta

                                          Europe

                                        • Richard Gard
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 21, 2014
                                            batteries are good enough!
                                            I leave the mowers attached to the charger all the time.  the chargers are not "smart" chargers so they only trickle current in to the batteries.  I can easily take 30 hours if you are deeply discharged.

                                            have fun with your mowers.