RL1000 battery doesn't seem to charge in the dock, only inside

  • bluenosr
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29 12:53 PM
      Hi folks, I have an RL 1000. I noticed last year that when in the docking station, the mower was taking about 2 days to charge. The internal charger still charged up in 20-24 hours, so that was ok. As the mower was 6 years old and I was down to approx 2 1/2 hrs mowing time, I decided to buy new batteries. This year, the internal charger takes about 24 hours to charge the battery, which I'm cool with, but the docking station doesn't charge it up at all. It looks like it's charging, it recognized the dock and the readings seem correct. After 2 full days on the dock, when it is set to leave for it's automatic mowing session, it doesn't leave and the LCD says "batt too low". I spoke to someone on the phone who was very helpful and showed me where to go in the settings to see the charging voltages and it's showing anywhere form 33-36 volts. I did notice something peculiar though. If I'm standing there with the mower in the dock, the controller says 33-35 volts. If I put the controller into the cradle, the second I flip it down to flush with the mower top, it drops to 23-25 volts. This doesn't happen when connected to the internal charger, it shows 33-35 volts no matter where the controller is. It's a real head scratcher. Anybody have any thoughts?
    • rann_georgia
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29 1:27 PM
        I have an amp/watts meter. It looks like a very short two-foot extension cord. One end has a male plug, the other end a female plug with a digital readout and a switch to view amps or watts. That's going to be one of the best ways to determine if it's still charging and drawing current. I think they shouldn't be more than 20 bucks. I think it took my unit around 4 hours to charge.

        If you were using an internal charger and which moves the docking cradle, I'd say there was a short in the cord between the cradle and controller board.

        However, I'm thinking you may have some corrosion on the controller or the controller board which it plugs into. The manual controller has a plug similar to a telephone jack. Look to see if there's anything green that could be corrosion. It's a possibility that it's making contact when it's out of the cradle and when it's in, not.

        Also, the cradle has the charging female plug in it. That over time wears the connecting wires out. Could be that there's a short there?

        I do know from working on my RL 1000 that both the cradle charging port and the front docking port goes to the same board. On mine, one pin corroded and was basically eat up. I'm guessing that pin carried charging voltage.

        That's about the best I can do other than a loose connection somewhere inside it. The flashing yellow light plugs into this little board, too. Could be that there's corrosion and it's making contact sometimes and other times it's not making as good a connection.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29 2:21 PM
          Your power supply is going out (not unusual, it happens far too often).
          You'll need to replace it. The failing power supply is good enough to power
          the wire, but not to charge the mower.

          If you measure voltage on the replacement you'll see something like 39v, and
          it will not change much with the mower in the dock.

          Those power supplies aren't cheap, but someone here has found replacements
          from the world of laptop computers that are cheap and work fine.
          Unfortunately I don't remember the details of those! You might try a
          search, or someone here may remember.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29 2:24 PM
            What's the spec on that charger?

            Danny

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29 3:53 PM
              Dunno. It's a "Power Supply", not explicitly a charger.

              I opened one up some years ago. It's potted, but appeared to be just a
              transformer and maybe a rectifier. I didn't see any published specs.

              I was thinking it was you who had found the "replacement", but maybe it was
              someone else. I only have emails of this list and they don't go back that
              far. Maybe someone can search the list for "power supply" and see if those
              messages are still around.

              I recall someone finding a substitute on eBay or Amazon.

              Dan

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29 4:12 PM
                Good news, I did find some old emails from the list and located this message
                from "Turtle" (on behalf of; Turtle vinces123@...) aka Vince

                Message dated 3/27/2012; subject "RL1000 Docking Station Power Supply"

                Dan

                Needed to replace my power supply for my RL1000 Docking Station. Bought for
                $20 on eBay a new Model: EADP-108AB A, KODAK P/N.: KOD00001859-100, Use
                With: KODAK Printer EADP-108AB.
                OUTPUT SPECS: 36VDC --- 3A

                Works just fine. I just had to change out the connector to match what I have
                on the power cord going to my docking station.

                Found this to be a cheap and quick alternative to buying the OEM power
                supply for the docking station.

                Vince
                Houston, TX

                From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29 4:16 PM
                  In fact there are probably 20 messages with that subject, showing probably
                  that many alternative power supplies.

                  The first message I see was 5/3/2010. Look for the "Subject" line indicated
                  below. Several in May of 2010, then several more in March 2012.

                  I guess my emails in those folders aren't purged as fast as I thought!

                  Dan

                  From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30 9:14 AM
                    This is awesome guys, thanks! You know, now that you mention it, I have noticed that the yellow light sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, or sometimes is just very dim. I never would have thought that they may be related. I'll have to take "eaRL" apart this weekend and see what's what. Maybe get a new power supply as well.

                    Cheers,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31 7:43 AM
                       Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures before, during and after you get the top off.  When you remove the top, the flashing warning light will have to be unplugged.  You don't really need to remember which connector it goes to as I think it's the only two-pronged plug on the little board.   Check the yellow wire that goes to the cradle as when that moves up and and down, it will eventually break.  This has a 20-pin ribbon cable which carries voltage to the main board which then carries it to the batteries and motors.  It's here that I found corrosion after removing it.   The board is 50 bucks and change.  The cradle holder is about 21 dollars, both of which I had to replace and hopefully the charging board will be in today's mail. You also might want to remove the main board from rubber mounts and lay flat so that anything that might accidentally brush against it won't stress it. That board I think is about 200 dollars. If the charging board looks good, remove the connections and remove it from the mounting.  Radio shack has a cleaner/lube spray for electronics.  That will help clean it and get rid of the corrosion, if it's not too bad.  Take a soft tooth brush to the pins and gently clean the contacts. --- In robomower@yahoogroups.com, <bluenosr@...> wrote: This is awesome guys, thanks! You know, now that you mention it, I have noticed that the yellow light sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, or sometimes is just very dim. I never would have thought that they may be related. I'll have to take "eaRL" apart this weekend and see what's what. Maybe get a new power supply as well.