A couple months ago, someone posted about their mower was dead

  • rann_georgia
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013
      He thought there was an issue with the controller. I wonder if he found his problem.

      I started out replacing a drive motor but due to rain and then needing additional parts, it's still apart.

      Now it's dead. There was some corrosion on the charging board and cable where the controller with its telephone like plug hooks up. I bought a computer/electronics cleaner with lubrication which with a soft bristle brush, cleaned out the corrosion. the contacts on the controller look good.

      I'm thinking the problem could be the ribbin cable between the controller/charging board and the main board, or that the battery pack won't hold a charge at all.

      I've not put it back together as I think the machine shop damaged one motor putting a pinon gear on it. I don't see why not having the cover off would prevent the controller from starting up and at least show charging the battery pack.

      Next step is to disconnect the drive motors and the battery pack, after charging it overnight and try jumping each motor directly. When I told the man at Probotics that one motor was possibly damaged, he told me this could be done.

      Any other ideas?

      I thought the next step if that doesn't work would be buy a new ribbon cable which had some corrosion on it as they're around ten bucks.
    • ronald heinz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
        Hi,I'm the one that may have a hand controller problem. I am selling both of my rl500's for $500.00. Have one quick charger and two slow chargers. One has the updated software and knobby tires and works fine. The other one has a hand controller problem,I think. Haven't had time to trouble shoot it yet. We are moving into a condominium,and the grass will be cut by hoa. Ron Heinz. ron200068005@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
          That's probably a very good deal. However, for me, shipping would be the killer.

          Having taken the electrical tester I determined that it is getting voltage. Though, I noticed one battery making a slight noise in charging. I'm not sure if that's normal but have never heard that in other sealed batteries.

          After looking over the controller board (the one where the power and manual controller with a telephone like plug connects) carefully, one of the 20 pins was gone. I believe this may have been a pin supplying voltage to the main board which then sent to the battery.

          After looking over the part number on Google imagines I found one that had a good a resolution to see that it should be there and was not intentionally left out. As Charlie Brown would say, ugh! Just another chapter in the long run of trying to fix this thing.