Re: What are the anticipated problems of charging without using the built in charger

  • rann_georgia
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2013
      Hi Neighbor:

      I'm just down the road a bit in Macon. Yes, lightening is one of the Achilles heels of these beasts.

      In Macon we have the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds which is either a state or national park Ancient Indians built these mounds, one of which I would say is about four stories or higher. They recently bought a robotic lawn mower designed to mow steep inclines sometimes using a tether rope. I believe it's made in Denmark, is gasoline powered and operated by direct remote control. The only draw-back to this model is it's $38,000.

      Since I have no garage, my unit is covered up with a tarp and plastic, as you know, because of the endless rain we're having.

      On the first docking board, the insurance paid for the replacement as it was a really bad strike taking out 13k of stuff in the house. The second one, I never screwed into the base so that I could disconnect it when a storm was approaching. However, the wind blew it over and laying upsidedown, like a turtle on its back, rain water gathered in it and shorted it out.

      A local electronics store looked at the board and said it couldn't be repaired because the short went through both sides of the board. So, if in the future, someone has a similar problem but the problem doesn't burn through the board, it might be possible to repair the docking station board.

      The next problem--when the rain stops--is cleaning a bit of corrosion off the board where the power connectors come in. I fear once I get that down that I'll be replacing the rightside motor. Took it to a local machine shop to have new pinon gears pressed on. I don't think he knew how to do it as now that one motor will turn only with great effort. Oh, well, it's a soap opera but a learning experience. I'm getting to the point now I can almost create a troubleshooting diagram.