Re: My 10 year experience with an RL500

  • aceomeg
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "syschuck2" <syschuck2@...> wrote:
      >> My robot who my wife and I call 'Curly' (from Moe (mow), Larry and Curly) is like a regular in neighborhood. People will still stop their cars as they drive by and just watch Curly do his job. He is absolutely fascinating to watch as he goes through his motions.

      My experience exactly!
      I find people drive over just to see it. If I'm out, I'll answer their questions. They really do get excited and say "You mean it's like a roomba for your lawn?!" Just for fun I made a mouth and eyes out of colored duct tape for the front so it's more like mater from Disney's Cars. It make me laugh.

      As an aside, I'm somewhat disappointed that they think of like that, because a roomba is really a robomow for your carpet :)

      >> Do buy a blade sharpener and keep them sharp. There is less energy expended cutting the grass and it helps the lawn recover quicker too. It's less traumatic to the grass mowing with a razor sharp blade.

      I'm curious about the blade sharpener that you use, because I'm lousy with sharpening free hand. And how do you balance the blades, or do you not worry about it?

      Thanks!
    • Tim Wolff
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
        I use a bench grinder to sharpen the blades. Once the hardened edge of a new blade is worn, they won't hold an edge worth a darn. My blades are all rather old (8-10 years). I don't bother trying to balance them. The times when the mower makes sounds of an unbalanced blade normally means it is time to clean the grass cuttings out of it. The tops of the grass blades the day after a mow will tell you when it is time to sharpen the blades.
        Tim

        > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        > From: aceomeg@...
        > Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 02:11:05 +0000
        > Subject: [RoboMower] Re: My 10 year experience with an RL500
        >
        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "syschuck2" <syschuck2@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious about the blade sharpener that you use, because I'm lousy with sharpening free hand. And how do you balance the blades, or do you not worry about it?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • D Dresser
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
          A few years ago, I showed the young children in my neighborhood how the RL 850 worked and how it could hurt them if they got too close. To enlist their support for my cautions, I asked them to come up with a name. Their consensus � Larry. I doubt that any had ever heard of Moe or Curly, but that is what I immediately thought of.

          So Larry the Lawnmower trundled on without the kids ever interfering.

        • fiestabickerton
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20 12:39 PM

            hello members

            i bought two rl 500 models yesterday, i try them out. I see that the blades are a bit oxidized , it would be interesting to know how you make the sharp again , not too compicated.

            greetings

            fiesta

            holland

          • Tim Wolff
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20 1:04 PM
              I put an edge on mine with a bench grinder. But, they don't hold an edge for long. Originally, they were designed to be replaced every season (at a significant cost). If you examine a set of new blades, it appears that the edges are hardened after the sharp edge was ground. So, sharpening dull blades quickly cuts through the hardened metal. I put a fresh edge on my blades when the cut grass tips start getting ragged. 2-3 times a season usually.

              FWIW:Balance does not seem to be an issue.

              I watch eBay for new blades and bid on them if reasonably priced. The retail on the set is ~ $100 US as I recall.

              Tim Wolff

              Message 6 of 9 , May 20 1:22 PM
                I don't think they're hardened.  This would make it more vulnerable to throwing off a chip- or shattering- when it hits a rock, which presents a safety issue, fragments would leave at potentially lethal speeds.  They don't do that, it just deforms in an impact mark.

                FYI Consumer Products Safety Commission limits blade tip speed to 19,000 fpm = 216 mph.  Even a gasoline mower is designed so it can't turn the blade faster.
                 Smaller diameter blades use proportionately higher RPM to achieve the same tip velocity.  Regardless of blade diameter, if a piece of blade somehow broke off at 19,000 fpm, it would leave in a straight line at 19,000 fpm.  This is slower than a bullet but it's a jagged chunk of steel and could definitely penetrate denim, probably boots.

                I've sharpened Robomower blades plenty of times.  There's no hardened edge on it that I could see, the whole thing is just mild steel.

                Sucks but all lawnmower blades are untempered like that.  Every gas lawnmower blade I've sharpened has pits, not chips where it's hit rocks.  I assume for safety reasons.

                Danny

                Message 7 of 9 , May 20 1:28 PM
                  I use a simple metal file every couple of times. I pull out the battery, flip the mower over, and put on a simple edge to all the blades taking care to smooth out big nicks in the blades (which will grab grass).  it helps a lot.

                  Richard