RE: [RoboMower] Multi-Zone Switch

  • Tim Wolff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
      I replaced the Robomower connector on the perimeter switch with small alligator clips that I simply clip to the bare ends of the perimeter wire. Inexpensive, easy, and reliable. I know it is not a switch, but it has served me well for years.
      Tim

      > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > From: tinapropes@...
      > Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:19:25 +0000
      > Subject: [RoboMower] Multi-Zone Switch
      >
      > Unfortunately during a surprise pop-up lightning storm yesterday my docking station was destroyed. This is the third docking board I have lost due to lightning strikes so I think I am giving up on trying to use my docking station and I will just use my mobile perimeter switch.
      > I have three zones that all terminate at the same position. I would like to put in a switch so I can easily change between zones. I know there are pictures of one in the files section but there are no details about it. Can someone recommend a good switch I could use to connect three zones. I think I would prefer to mount something outside of my perimeter switch unlike the one in the picture.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > William

    • TinaP
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
        Tim,
        Thanks for the idea. Do you have any problem with the exposed ends of the wires corroding or oxidizing?

        Thanks,
        William

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Tim Wolff <twolff69@...> wrote:

        > I replaced the Robomower connector on the perimeter switch with small alligator clips that I simply clip to the bare ends of the perimeter wire. Inexpensive, easy, and reliable. I know it is not a switch, but it has served me well for years.
        > Tim
        >
        > > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: tinapropes@...
        > > Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:19:25 +0000
        > > Subject: [RoboMower] Multi-Zone Switch
        > >
        > > Unfortunately during a surprise pop-up lightning storm yesterday my docking station was destroyed. This is the third docking board I have lost due to lightning strikes so I think I am giving up on trying to use my docking station and I will just use my mobile perimeter switch.
        > > I have three zones that all terminate at the same position. I would like to put in a switch so I can easily change between zones. I know there are pictures of one in the files section but there are no details about it. Can someone recommend a good switch I could use to connect three zones. I think I would prefer to mount something outside of my perimeter switch unlike the one in the picture.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > William

      • rann_georgia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
          I had a similar problem. The first time the insurance paid for it due to the extensive damage at the house.

          I just put in connector. Since the wire was at a fence. I made a small shelf out of 2x4s and brought the wire/connector near it. I did about the same thing in the back yard. That is making a small wooden shelf that the switch can lay on. When it's done, I take it up and return the unit to an indoor charging unit. that is, when I get the thing back together.

          The connectors can be bought online at probotics or at some electronics stores and I guess they're a standard time of connector. Since lightening is a problem here, putting the remote switch out and disconnecting it makes more sense than buying another base charging unit. What I was told was these usually can't be repaired as the burns go through all layers of the board.

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "TinaP" <tinapropes@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately during a surprise pop-up lightning storm yesterday my docking station was destroyed. This is the third docking board I have lost due to lightning strikes so I think I am giving up on trying to use my docking station and I will just use my mobile perimeter switch.
          > I have three zones that all terminate at the same position. I would like to put in a switch so I can easily change between zones. I know there are pictures of one in the files section but there are no details about it. Can someone recommend a good switch I could use to connect three zones. I think I would prefer to mount something outside of my perimeter switch unlike the one in the picture.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > William

        • Tim Wolff
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
            Some of the exposed wire ends are looking a bit ragged, but I haven't had to clean them. One is getting a bit short too. I'll just cut off the ends and strip another 1/2 inch of insulation when the time for new ends comes. The ends lay exposed in the flower beds year round.