RE: [RoboMower] Re: Rl2000 Batteries?

  • Kevin Turner
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 21 2:45 AM
      It doesn't sound right. Do you have a warranty? I would put the issue in the hands of the vendor if so.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 21 10:53 AM
        You say you just bought it. Was it new or used?

        I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a bad battery or both.

        If the battery pack is like the RL1000, it's two 12v batteries wired in series to get 24 volts. Once I wired mine wrong in parallel. The mower didn't like it and didn't run properly but it worked.

        I'd check the batteries by taking it to an auto parts store. They have a tester that will determine if you have a bad battery. But, usually, a bad battery will quickly shorten the life of the other.

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mikey0426" <mikey0426@...> wrote:

        > Yes, I am only doing manual depart because I have 3 little kids running around in the back, but I have used max. The first time, it only cut about half the yard before returning. The second time, there were about 7 or 8 stripes. The base zone is only about 0.15ish acre.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Turner <kevin.turner@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mine says
        > > 26.3v 9.3v
        > >
        > > No idea what that tells me with regard to how good or bad it is .
        > >
        > > Silly question, but you have set your program to "max" haven't you?
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPad
        > >
        > > On 20 Jul 2013, at 20:18, "Kevin Turner" <kevin.turner@<mailto:kevin.turner@>> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have owned an RL2000 for just over a year. On the program's where it s set to cut for the MAX amount of time, it will keep going for well over 4 hours easily.
        > >
        > > I have never checked the voltage during charging. I'll take a look.....
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPad
        > >
        > > On 20 Jul 2013, at 17:42, "Michael" <mikey0426@<mailto:mikey0426@>> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi there,
        > >
        > > So happy to find this group! Does anyone have experience with the rl2000 yet? I bought one last week, and it cuts great. Problem is, I have yet to get longer than 1 hr 40 min before it returns to base to charge. I know it should last longer than that! After sitting on the dock for 48 hours, the battery information (still in the dock) I get says:
        > >
        > > Charging Voltage 33.6 V
        > > Battery Voltage 25.7V & 9.6V
        > >
        > > Is the information under battery voltage giving the individual battery voltages? I haven't found anywhere on this forum where there are two numbers under battery voltage.
        > >
        > > Just hoping someone could give me some advice on how to proceed....
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Mike

        > > ________________________________
        > > NOTICE: The information in this electronic mail transmission is intended by CoralTree Systems Ltd for the use of the named individuals or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

        > > CoralTree Systems Limited
        > > 25 Barnes Wallis Road
        > > Segensworth East, Fareham
        > > PO15 5TT
        > >
        > > Company Registration Number 5021022.
        > > Registered Office:
        > > 12-14 Carlton Place
        > > Southampton, UK
        > > SO15 2EA
        > > VAT Registration Number 834 1020 74.

      • mikey0426
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 22 6:48 PM
          Just bought it brand new, from Sams club online.

          I bought a cheap voltmeter, and pulled the power pack from the mower. Each battery read 11V(ish). The back of the power pack read around 23. Not really sure what to do next.....I suppose its possible that the dock is not providing adequate power, since these batteries are brand new......

          Thoughts?

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Is the information under battery voltage giving the individual battery voltages? I haven't found anywhere on this forum where there are two numbers under battery voltage.
          > > >
          > > > Just hoping someone could give me some advice on how to proceed....
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Mike

          > > > ________________________________
          > > > NOTICE: The information in this electronic mail transmission is intended by CoralTree Systems Ltd for the use of the named individuals or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

        • Tim Wolff
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 22 7:13 PM
            When fully charged each of the 12v batteries in the pack should measure 13.8V-14.7V. The voltage will vary with ambient temperature.
            Tim

          • Richard Gard
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 22 7:19 PM
              Battery is dead. Should read over 25V total
              It may have sat around a long time.

              Best wishes,
              RG

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 23 12:46 AM
                Don't they provide an after sales service? Buying it online does not mean you have no warranty rights.

                By the way, my RL2000 battery pack is a sealed single unit, in which there are 2x17AH 24V sealed lead acid batteries. Average mowing time 3 hours 20 (but as I say it goes for we'll over 4 hours)

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 23 12:47 AM
                  There are 2x17AH 24V sealed lead acid in an RL2000

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 23 9:55 AM
                    You can use automatic, at night when the kids are asleep.

                    The mower doesn't care if it's dark and it's not very loud.

                    Dan

                    <mailto:mikey0426@...%3cmailto:mikey0426@...> <mailto:mikey0426@...>> wrote:

                    > Hi there,
                    >
                    > So happy to find this group! Does anyone have experience with the rl2000
                    yet? I bought one last week, and it cuts great. Problem is, I have yet to
                    get longer than 1 hr 40 min before it returns to base to charge. I know it
                    should last longer than that! After sitting on the dock for 48 hours, the
                    battery information (still in the dock) I get says:

                    > Charging Voltage 33.6 V
                    > Battery Voltage 25.7V & 9.6V
                    >
                    > Is the information under battery voltage giving the individual battery
                    voltages? I haven't found anywhere on this forum where there are two numbers
                    under battery voltage.

                    > Just hoping someone could give me some advice on how to proceed....
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mike

                    > ________________________________
                    > NOTICE: The information in this electronic mail transmission is intended
                    by CoralTree Systems Ltd for the use of the named individuals or entity to
                    which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
                    otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
                    transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
                    forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
                    telephone, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

                    > CoralTree Systems Limited
                    > 25 Barnes Wallis Road
                    > Segensworth East, Fareham
                    > PO15 5TT
                    >
                    > Company Registration Number 5021022.
                    > Registered Office:
                    > 12-14 Carlton Place
                    > Southampton, UK
                    > SO15 2EA
                    > VAT Registration Number 834 1020 74.

                  • Ben
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 23 10:16 AM
                      "You can use automatic, at night when the kids are asleep.

                      The mower doesn't care if it's dark and it's not very loud.

                      Dan"

                      It's not the kids or pets I worry about..... they can move! It's the toys,
                      garden hose, tree branches, and who knows what else was left out there this
                      time that I worry about.

                    • rann_georgia
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 23 11:43 AM
                        Bad batteries can and do work for shorter periods.

                        Since it's new, I hate to tell you to pop that battery pack open and unshort the wires.

                        There is a voltage meter that's about 70 bucks or so that can measure whether a battery is bad, not just the voltage. As far as I know, they do this on 12v batteries only. I'm a minus for Batteries Plus
                        because they replaced the original battery with a cheaper model and have done so every year for the last three running.

                        I'm still going with bad battery pack.

                        You try a few unorthodox things. The man who runs Probotics is very knowledgeable and helpful. You might catch him on a slow day and he'll talk your ear off. You could try calling that dealership and I'm sure he's experienced almost everything related to these things.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 23 11:58 AM
                          the only problem that I see running it at night is doo. The grass could be wet and that creates more resistance. More resistance takes more power meaning shorter mowing times.

                          My mower has glided right over power cords, hoses and such. The major problem I have is making sure the car is not in the zone as it will get stuck under it.

                          BTW, I do like the idea someone else had of using a knife sharpener on the blades for a touch up.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 23 12:13 PM
                            Not all weather conditions produce dew on every night.

                            But I'll say right now, wet grass DOES suck. Not just because of
                            resistance, it can cake up inside the blade wells and it'll mostly stop
                            cutting when that happens.

                            Danny

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 23 1:27 PM
                              I was puzzled by that until I realised you meant "dew" :)

                              <mailto:kevin.turner@%0b>> > <mailto:kevin.turner@%3cmailto:kevin.turner@>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 23 1:57 PM
                                If they're reading 11v when off the charger, then the charger's probably
                                malfunctioning.

                                11v is "dead". Well, it's the point where you recharge.

                                Danny

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 23 1:57 PM
                                  Yes, if you mow too late you can get wet grass at times. But, you can also
                                  get wet grass from rain.

                                  There are times of the year that we get dew right away, but not that often.
                                  Mowing at 10p generally hasn't been a problem. My "wet mowing" has mostly
                                  occurred during/after rain.

                                  Concur about the toys. Hoses haven't been a problem except when one crosses
                                  over itself making a short section stick up. If it's flat the mower will
                                  just go over it but if it has a piece sticking up it'll sure nick a hole in
                                  it.

                                  Dan

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 23 2:07 PM
                                    I am a notoriously bad speller.

                                    Another tip may have been from the same person and that was to spray the wells with cooking spray to help prevent caking up of grass.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 23 7:02 PM
                                      Ok, sorry one more battery question. If the charger is bad, what is the best way to tell? The information says charging voltage 33.6V, but is that a measurement or just a default when it's plugged in?

                                      Also, assuming the mower has enough battery to fully cut my back yard, it has left small triangles about 2 feet on one side) in about 6 or 7 places in the yard. Are there any settings that I can try to remedy that? Tired of cutting the missed spots by hand. The yard is not big, but there are a couple juts and a play set to bounce off of....perhaps it's just confused?

                                      Thanks for all the great help!
                                      Mike

                                    • gary burns
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 23 7:58 PM
                                        I have fast charger for robomower batteries.  Its new and will sell for half of what they sell for on amazon,  I also have green stakes for sell and boxes of 500 foot per wire.

                                        812 946 2011

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 24 1:03 AM
                                          Assuming this places are within the perimeter it show mow them eventually....assuming it runs long enough. Try manually starting it around that area and see if it is having difficulty entering that bit.

                                          <mailto:kevin.turner@%0b>> > <mailto:kevin.turner@%0b>> > <mailto:kevin.turner@%3cmailto:kevin.turner@>