Re: [RoboMower] Advice on buying a robo mower

  • Gene Harvey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 17, 2013
      My first RoboMower was a refurbished 500 from WOOT, bought in 2005. Its life ended with getting stuck on a root and ruining the gears that drove one of the wheels. I bought an 850 to replace it. It has been going strong for years. I learned that the batteries need to be charged separately and when they are cool. My current set of batteries are on their fourth year of use. I sold my gas mower because I never need a backup. I have replaced blades a few times. I have needed to lay new wire were it has been cut a couple of times. This is all of the maintenance that has been required. RobowMowers have worked well for me, so I have not looked at replacing them with something else. This group has been great when I have needed answers to my questions.

      I too, wish you good luck.
      Gene

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2013
        I'll weigh in too.

        I have an RL1000 and I'm halfway through my 6th season. My battery still gives me ~2-2 1/2 hours on a charge, but I've bought a new set this year. I've got approx 7000 square feet in front yard, 5000 square feet in back. If I can get back to 3 1/2 hours + run time on a charge, I can get the entire front yard done in one shot, hardly ever a missed spot. Hec, 2 1/2 hours barely misses a spot. While I'm still able to purchase them, I would not do without it, I love it. Not a big fan of the mowers that mow a bit, charge a bit, mow a bit more. I don't want to spend 5 hours + watching my mower, I'd prefer mowing in just one session. The RL1000 is big and burly enough to handle it.