Re: Erratic behavior RM400 (wire outside)

  • b0omsling
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2013
      I've had a new error this tome, it sits there with "waiting for signal" on the display.

      I tested the perimeter wire with a digital volt meter and its reading 1.6 Ohms, reading somewhere else it said it should be under 5 ohm so this is good news.

      I'm now delving into the service menu and Ive spotted a setting for the base station, its will allow me to set the power, its currently set on 0.9amp, reading the power supply it says 0.2 amps so should I change this setting?

      Can someone please advise?

      Thanks

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@...> wrote:

      > HI
      >
      > Hoping this is a simple fix
      >
      > My RM400 will go around the perimeter fine but every now and then when it start doing inside the wire it will just stop, back up a foot or sot, pause again and then move,. Some time it will repeat this until it stops altogether and will display 'Wire Outside' on the screen=. Other times it will just flash up 'Wire' on the display and search for the perimeter wire, go to it and the carry on.
      >
      > My law is quite bumpy so I thought it might be due to the mowing height but observing it( and have set the height to 2 inches) it never ground out on the blade guard.
      >
      > I also thought it might be because of a bad signal from the wire so I went and stumped up the cash for the office wire but it still displays the same behavioral pattern.
      >
      > Could it be the bumps in the lawn making the front wheel think its leaving the ground?
      >
      > I'll throw up a video on you tube so you can see. and update this with a link.
      >
      > Hoping you can advise and its a simple fix.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Brett

    • b0omsling
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2013
        Anyone?

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@...> wrote:

        > I've had a new error this tome, it sits there with "waiting for signal" on the display.
        >
        > I tested the perimeter wire with a digital volt meter and its reading 1.6 Ohms, reading somewhere else it said it should be under 5 ohm so this is good news.
        >
        > I'm now delving into the service menu and Ive spotted a setting for the base station, its will allow me to set the power, its currently set on 0.9amp, reading the power supply it says 0.2 amps so should I change this setting?
        >
        > Can someone please advise?
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@> wrote:
        > >
        > > HI
        > >
        > > Hoping this is a simple fix
        > >
        > > My RM400 will go around the perimeter fine but every now and then when it start doing inside the wire it will just stop, back up a foot or sot, pause again and then move,. Some time it will repeat this until it stops altogether and will display 'Wire Outside' on the screen=. Other times it will just flash up 'Wire' on the display and search for the perimeter wire, go to it and the carry on.
        > >
        > > My law is quite bumpy so I thought it might be due to the mowing height but observing it( and have set the height to 2 inches) it never ground out on the blade guard.
        > >
        > > I also thought it might be because of a bad signal from the wire so I went and stumped up the cash for the office wire but it still displays the same behavioral pattern.
        > >
        > > Could it be the bumps in the lawn making the front wheel think its leaving the ground?
        > >
        > > I'll throw up a video on you tube so you can see. and update this with a link.
        > >
        > > Hoping you can advise and its a simple fix.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Brett

      • rann_georgia
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2013
          I always try to look at the simplest things first.

          I know you ran an ohm test but rule out any break 100%. I know that the newer models can be picked up a lot easier on an FM radio than the older ones. But, even the older ones can be picked up.

          I take an old FM radio with a metal antennae, point it just above where the wire is and tune it to static. I can barely hear the disturbance in the wire, if it's good. After the break, the sound changes. But, first I would point that at the transmitter (docking station) and if you don't pick up a signal, I think you've found your problem.

          If you're getting a signal from the transmitter (docking station) but not from the wire, you likely have a bad connector that connects the perimeter wire into the docking station board. They're fairly cheaply made and loose contact or have for me. Rather than try to clean it, I discovered that they can be bought at a local electronic parts store cheaply. Just take the old connector with you. Clean the wire before reconnecting. A dialectic paste might help prevent bad contact in the future.

          The other thing that would be a simple test would be take about 20 feet of wire, connect it in a loop to the main transmitter (docking station) you're using and make it just big enough to put the mower inside it. That would also rule out a wire break. Or, I'd try using a remote transmitter, if you have one, to rule out the docking station isn't putting out a signal.

          Maybe the contacts just need cleaning on the mower. The display/remote can be easily removed from the mower unit. It plugs in like a telephone. That's an easy thing to do and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol. Could be that it's just not making full contact.

          Otherwise, I'd think the fault would be in the mower somewhere.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2013
            Try the "calibrate wire sensors". You need to have the wire on, and the
            mower needs to inside the wire BUT IIRC not NEAR the wire.

            Danny