Re: [RoboMower] drive motor on the RL1000 works sporadically.

  • Toshar M
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Gears look the same as on the right side - which works fine. I noticed the mower having problems last weekend when it started bouncing (not like a ball) when the left wheel was being engaged and over time its become worse.

      On May 8, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Tim Wolff <twolff69@...> wrote:

      > Get it apart and check the drivetrain before sourcing parts. The gear train is usually the source of drive wheel problems. Look for worn/loose/damaged gears. If the pinion gear on the motor is damaged/worn, it probably means motor replacement as I've not read of anyone successfully replacing just the gear. It would need the driven gear too as it would likely be damaged by a bad pinion gear.
      >
      > > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: tmond72@...
      > > Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:33:23 +0000
      > > Subject: [RoboMower] drive motor on the RL1000 works sporadically.
      > >
      > > Anyone have similar issues. the left wheel works sporadically. I was told it might be a connection issue but now I am thinking its actually the motor itself. anyone got a drive motor for sale.

    • rann_georgia
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
        I have the RL1000 and facing the problem of removing the motors to change the pinon gears.

        Looks like you've done that. How? I've taken one of the wheels off. I see it's a straight shot to remove the screws that hold the motors in, but the transmission blocks the lower two.

        Can someone tell me in which direction to go to get the bottom two out?

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
          You've gotta remove the gears. That is, you must:

          take off the wheels
          remove the motor wires, motor thermostat wires, and tach sensor wires
          remove the gearframe from the mower
          pull off the gears (they come off easily)

          Now you can unscrew the motors. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

          The plastic gear frame tends to sag or melt from a combination of the
          cantilevered weight of the motor pulling on it, and motor heat. The
          motor thermal sensor wires don't do much to stop this. This causes the
          gears to mesh poorly and rip themselves up. It should be possible to
          use a heat gun to reshape it but it seems problematic- the ribs in the
          frame will likely buckle, and once buckled cannot provide the stiffness
          they're in the design to provide. I've not heard of this being tried.

          But it's not just the motor sag, the older Robomower gears used bushing
          centers, not ball bearings. The bushings wear and compress with age,
          making the gear sit loose on its axle, which again causes poor meshing
          and failure. The newer bearing centers prevent that.

          Very commonly, it is not the motor but the gears causing one side to
          fail to drive properly.

          Danny

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
            I've figured it out. And true to form, just as I've figured it out, it looks like rain.

            In the battery compartment there is a soft black plastic strip about an inch wide which I believe deals with the height adjustment.

            This raises the back portion of the motors but there's a front axle running through the unit holding one set of transmission gears. First I thought the axle could be tapped and pushed aside to be able to raise it. Then I had that ah-ha moment. The entire plastic covering is like a giant Tupperware container. By putting a mini pry bar inside, the wall holding the axle moved quite easily allowing it to slip. This allowed the assembly to be moved enough to slip that front axle out of its mounting.

            As recommended by the rep of robo company that sold me the pinion gears, he said take a lot of pictures.

            Now, I'll remove the motors and decide how to remove the old worn pinion gear. I'm thinking the dremel tool rather than a hack saw.

            But, success, partly. I was concerned that if I pushed too hard on some of these plastic parts that they'd break. But it seems most of them are flexible like Tupperware. I have removed and photographed the location of some key wires and taken the liberty of removing a system board from its mounting and laying it flat without removing the connections. This will help avoid any accidents in cracking it as these other parts come out.

            I believe now that the gears blocking that final screw can either be removed totally or moved enough to get to it. When replacing it, I think I'll coat the screws on the motor with lock tight and look at the metal parts in the unit to give a possible light coating of machine oil.

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

            > You've gotta remove the gears. That is, you must:
            >
            > take off the wheels
            > remove the motor wires, motor thermostat wires, and tach sensor wires
            > remove the gearframe from the mower
            > pull off the gears (they come off easily)
            >
            > Now you can unscrew the motors. It's not as difficult as it sounds.
            >
            > The plastic gear frame tends to sag or melt from a combination of the
            > cantilevered weight of the motor pulling on it, and motor heat. The
            > motor thermal sensor wires don't do much to stop this. This causes the
            > gears to mesh poorly and rip themselves up. It should be possible to
            > use a heat gun to reshape it but it seems problematic- the ribs in the
            > frame will likely buckle, and once buckled cannot provide the stiffness
            > they're in the design to provide. I've not heard of this being tried.
            >
            > But it's not just the motor sag, the older Robomower gears used bushing
            > centers, not ball bearings. The bushings wear and compress with age,
            > making the gear sit loose on its axle, which again causes poor meshing
            > and failure. The newer bearing centers prevent that.
            >
            > Very commonly, it is not the motor but the gears causing one side to
            > fail to drive properly.
            >
            > Danny
            >
            > On 6/4/2013 1:06 PM, rann_georgia wrote:
            > > I have the RL1000 and facing the problem of removing the motors to change the pinon gears.
            > >
            > > Looks like you've done that. How? I've taken one of the wheels off. I see it's a straight shot to remove the screws that hold the motors in, but the transmission blocks the lower two.
            > >
            > > Can someone tell me in which direction to go to get the bottom two out?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "tmond72" <tmond72@> wrote:
            > >> Anyone have similar issues. the left wheel works sporadically. I was told it might be a connection issue but now I am thinking its actually the motor itself. anyone got a drive motor for sale.

          • Robert Silva
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
              There are instructions for disassembly & reassembly of the transmission. Your rep can probably provide them if they also carry replacement gears.

              -Bob

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
                Typically you'd use a gear puller. It needs to anchor on the metal
                sleeve, obviously, not the plastic, and that's a fine line with limited
                tolerance. There is also not a great deal of width between the pinion
                and the motor to slip a stiff jaw into, but it can be done.

                Then you're going to have some sort of press in the middle, most likely
                hydraulic, to push the shaft out of the pinion.

                It can be cut off, but it's difficult and may damage the motor shaft.
                You want to make sure to tape over the motor's vents and turn the tool
                so that debris is cast AWAY from the motor, not into it. Even with
                tape, sparks will melt or burn the tape.

                Danny