Re: [RoboMower] Re: RM400 - Problems - Tilt - Bump and Pick up Sensors

  • Lee Hart
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2013
      On 5/2/2013 10:31 PM, mowbo wrote:
      > I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.

      The only precaution is not to use cheap wire. There are two reasons:

      1. Cheap wire often uses cheap plasticisers (like peanut oil) to make
      the plastic flexible. This smells like "food" to moles, gophers,
      squirrels, etc. They will EAT it!

      2. Cheap wire doesn't have the stabilizers to resist UV or ground
      water. It will get brittle and crack with age, so you'll have to
      repair or replace it. Look for UF or UH class insulations that
      are intended for direct burial.

      --
      The greatest pleasure in life is to create something that wasn't there
      before. -- Roy Spence
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2013
        I don't recommend stranded wire as much as solid, either.

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-gauge-Heavy-Duty-Solid-Copper-Core-Pet-Containment-Boundary-WIRE-KIT-/320894422461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab6cc4dbd

        I think that's the same product I got on eBay for my expanded install
        years ago. GREAT stuff. The jacket is designed for outdoor, it's
        UV/weather resistant.

        It's TOUGH stuff. Actually hard to strip without very sharp wire
        strippers.

        There's a 16ga version too:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-16-gauge-Heavy-duty-solid-Invisible-electric-hidden-dog-fence-wire-petsafe-/230946956748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c582e5cc

        But I don't see a good reason to up your expense there. The 18ga is good.

        Danny