Re: RM400 - Problems - Tilt - Bump and Pick up Sensors

  • rann_georgia
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 23, 2013
      Part of the advertising by the manufacturer is the safety of these units that the blades will stop before anything like fingers have the chance to get near them. Maybe they will replace the board for free to keep their statements true? I myself have had this happen when the unit became fairly hot.

      I don't think anyone addressed the question about the wire. No, I don't think there's anything special about the wire other than it comes packaged so that it's easy to lay out.

      Do yourself a favor and each time you have to cut the wire for whatever reason, solder it back, tape it and then finish off with liquid black tape. It'll save a lot of headaches in a couple of years down the road.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@...> wrote:

      > I've picked up a second hand RM400 however its not functioning correctly.
      >
      > The cutter motor will start up on its own when navigating the menus
      > The cutter motor does not shut off when the mower is picked up
      > The bump sensor doesn't work, it does not detect any bumps and just keeps going.
      > Tilt sensors fails to shut down the cutter
      >
      > The unit has had very little use, the menu only show 23 Hrs run time and the robot its self is in very good cosmetic condition.
      >
      > I'm guessing the the drop off board assembly is faulty but wanted to tap in to your collective knowledge
      >
      > I will also add that when running any calibrations or tests it fails to produce a error code.
      >
      > Lastly is there anything special about the perimeter wire that means I have to buy the official robomow wire?
      >
      > Thanks for reading.

    • Baldwin
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi,

        I'm curious about the mower that you are offering for $100; you say that it has had trouble with the charging circuit; does that mean that it works as long as you charge the battery with a external charger? Does it include the battery pack as well? If so, I'm interested. I live in NJ; where are you located? If you're close enough, I could pick it up.

        Regards,
        Ernie

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

        > I have 2 rl500  robotic mowers for sale. One is in perfect working order with knoby tires and updated software.and the other has problems this year with the charging circuit. I would like 500.00 for the good one and 100.00 for the one that has tobe fixed it worked fine last year. I have 2 fast chargers 1 good perimeter switch and one bad one that got soaked. One manual. Some perimeter wire and pegs. Contact me at ron200068005@... if interested. I'll  be 71 in june and too old to be trouble shooting lol.

      • Micha
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
          Hi,

          where ever a RL500 died or offered in parts - I'm still looking for the chip
          with the latest software (3.2) I bet $20 and porto to Germany.

          Regards

          Michael

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

          > I have 2 rl500Â robotic mowers for sale. One is in perfect working order
          with knoby tires and updated software.and the other has problems this year
          with the charging circuit. I would like 500.00 for the good one and 100.00
          for the one that has tobe fixed it worked fine last year. I have 2 fast
          chargers 1 good perimeter switch and one bad one that got soaked. One
          manual. Some perimeter wire and pegs. Contact me at ron200068005@... if
          interested. I'll be 71 in june and too old to be trouble shooting lol.

        • ronald heinz
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
            I,m in Papillion,ne 68133. I don't know what the shipping would cost at the ups store. Ron

            ________________________________

            I'm curious about the mower that you are offering for $100; you say that it
            has had trouble with the charging circuit; does that mean that it works as
            long as you charge the battery with a external charger? Does it include the
            battery pack as well? If so, I'm interested. I live in NJ; where are you
            located? If you're close enough, I could pick it up.

            Regards,
            Ernie

            --- In mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

            > I have 2 rl500Â robotic mowers for sale. One is in perfect working order
            with knoby tires and updated software.and the other has problems this year
            with the charging circuit. I would like 500.00 for the good one and 100.00
            for the one that has tobe fixed it worked fine last year. I have 2 fast
            chargers 1 good perimeter switch and one bad one that got soaked. One
            manual. Some perimeter wire and pegs. Contact me at ron200068005@... if
            interested. I'll be 71 in june and too old to be trouble shooting lol.

          • Micha
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
              Hi Ron,

              UPS is very expensive - up to $50. US Postal Service is the best option. A "First-Class Mail® International Letter" 1/4 inch thick: $1.30 only.

              Do you have a chip for me?

              Regards

              Michael

              I,m in Papillion,ne 68133. I don't know what the shipping would cost at the ups store. Ron

              ________________________________

              I'm curious about the mower that you are offering for $100; you say that it
              has had trouble with the charging circuit; does that mean that it works as
              long as you charge the battery with a external charger? Does it include the
              battery pack as well? If so, I'm interested. I live in NJ; where are you
              located? If you're close enough, I could pick it up.

              Regards,
              Ernie

              --- In mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

              > I have 2 rl500Â robotic mowers for sale. One is in perfect working order
              with knoby tires and updated software.and the other has problems this year
              with the charging circuit. I would like 500.00 for the good one and 100.00
              for the one that has tobe fixed it worked fine last year. I have 2 fast
              chargers 1 good perimeter switch and one bad one that got soaked. One
              manual. Some perimeter wire and pegs. Contact me at ron200068005@... if
              interested. I'll be 71 in june and too old to be trouble shooting lol.

            • Tim Wolff
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
                You guys should e-mail one another directly. The details of your transaction don't need to be sent to everyone in the group.
                Thanks

              • ronald heinz
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
                  No chips Ron

                  ________________________________

                  I,m in Papillion,ne 68133. I don't know what the shipping would cost at the ups store. Ron

                  ________________________________

                  I'm curious about the mower that you are offering for $100; you say that it
                  has had trouble with the charging circuit; does that mean that it works as
                  long as you charge the battery with a external charger? Does it include the
                  battery pack as well? If so, I'm interested. I live in NJ; where are you
                  located? If you're close enough, I could pick it up.

                  Regards,
                  Ernie

                  --- In mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  ronald heinz <ron200068005@...> wrote:

                  > I have 2 rl500Â robotic mowers for sale. One is in perfect working order
                  with knoby tires and updated software.and the other has problems this year
                  with the charging circuit. I would like 500.00 for the good one and 100.00
                  for the one that has tobe fixed it worked fine last year. I have 2 fast
                  chargers 1 good perimeter switch and one bad one that got soaked. One
                  manual. Some perimeter wire and pegs. Contact me at ron200068005@... if
                  interested. I'll be 71 in june and too old to be trouble shooting lol.

                • mowbo
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2013
                    I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@...> wrote:

                    > Part of the advertising by the manufacturer is the safety of these units that the blades will stop before anything like fingers have the chance to get near them. Maybe they will replace the board for free to keep their statements true? I myself have had this happen when the unit became fairly hot.
                    >
                    > I don't think anyone addressed the question about the wire. No, I don't think there's anything special about the wire other than it comes packaged so that it's easy to lay out.
                    >
                    > Do yourself a favor and each time you have to cut the wire for whatever reason, solder it back, tape it and then finish off with liquid black tape. It'll save a lot of headaches in a couple of years down the road.
                    >
                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've picked up a second hand RM400 however its not functioning correctly.
                    > >
                    > > The cutter motor will start up on its own when navigating the menus
                    > > The cutter motor does not shut off when the mower is picked up
                    > > The bump sensor doesn't work, it does not detect any bumps and just keeps going.
                    > > Tilt sensors fails to shut down the cutter
                    > >
                    > > The unit has had very little use, the menu only show 23 Hrs run time and the robot its self is in very good cosmetic condition.
                    > >
                    > > I'm guessing the the drop off board assembly is faulty but wanted to tap in to your collective knowledge
                    > >
                    > > I will also add that when running any calibrations or tests it fails to produce a error code.
                    > >
                    > > Lastly is there anything special about the perimeter wire that means I have to buy the official robomow wire?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for reading.

                  • mowbo
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2013
                      I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@...> wrote:

                      > Part of the advertising by the manufacturer is the safety of these units that the blades will stop before anything like fingers have the chance to get near them. Maybe they will replace the board for free to keep their statements true? I myself have had this happen when the unit became fairly hot.
                      >
                      > I don't think anyone addressed the question about the wire. No, I don't think there's anything special about the wire other than it comes packaged so that it's easy to lay out.
                      >
                      > Do yourself a favor and each time you have to cut the wire for whatever reason, solder it back, tape it and then finish off with liquid black tape. It'll save a lot of headaches in a couple of years down the road.
                      >
                      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've picked up a second hand RM400 however its not functioning correctly.
                      > >
                      > > The cutter motor will start up on its own when navigating the menus
                      > > The cutter motor does not shut off when the mower is picked up
                      > > The bump sensor doesn't work, it does not detect any bumps and just keeps going.
                      > > Tilt sensors fails to shut down the cutter
                      > >
                      > > The unit has had very little use, the menu only show 23 Hrs run time and the robot its self is in very good cosmetic condition.
                      > >
                      > > I'm guessing the the drop off board assembly is faulty but wanted to tap in to your collective knowledge
                      > >
                      > > I will also add that when running any calibrations or tests it fails to produce a error code.
                      > >
                      > > Lastly is there anything special about the perimeter wire that means I have to buy the official robomow wire?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for reading.

                    • b0omsling
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2013
                        Thanks

                        I was thinking of getting this:

                        http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/340676/6491x1-5g-y100-basec-approved-6491x-green-yellow-single-core-insulated-conduit-wiring-cable-1-5mm-100m-reel

                        Does this look ok to you?

                        UPDATE ON BROKEN MOWER

                        I sent it off for servicing as I could not diagnose the fault. They have found out that my robot was a hand built one from 2007, before they came to market and that friendly robotics sent this unit out to test noise levels. It had custom firmware on it to override all the safety features assuming it was so they could get the mowing blade running upside down, on a tilt etc and monitor the noise levels.

                        Anyway they were not sure my main board was going to take a new firmware but it has successfully flashed and all is now working correctly. :)

                        Should get it back monday or tuesday. I'm very pleased with the result as I picked up the mower for £200, adding in the transport costs and the repairs I've ended up with a very little used RM400 for a tad over £400... and it the Daddy of all your mowers!

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mowbo" <mowbo@...> wrote:

                        > I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.
                        >

                        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Part of the advertising by the manufacturer is the safety of these units that the blades will stop before anything like fingers have the chance to get near them. Maybe they will replace the board for free to keep their statements true? I myself have had this happen when the unit became fairly hot.
                        > >
                        > > I don't think anyone addressed the question about the wire. No, I don't think there's anything special about the wire other than it comes packaged so that it's easy to lay out.
                        > >
                        > > Do yourself a favor and each time you have to cut the wire for whatever reason, solder it back, tape it and then finish off with liquid black tape. It'll save a lot of headaches in a couple of years down the road.
                        > >
                        > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I've picked up a second hand RM400 however its not functioning correctly.
                        > > >
                        > > > The cutter motor will start up on its own when navigating the menus
                        > > > The cutter motor does not shut off when the mower is picked up
                        > > > The bump sensor doesn't work, it does not detect any bumps and just keeps going.
                        > > > Tilt sensors fails to shut down the cutter
                        > > >
                        > > > The unit has had very little use, the menu only show 23 Hrs run time and the robot its self is in very good cosmetic condition.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm guessing the the drop off board assembly is faulty but wanted to tap in to your collective knowledge
                        > > >
                        > > > I will also add that when running any calibrations or tests it fails to produce a error code.
                        > > >
                        > > > Lastly is there anything special about the perimeter wire that means I have to buy the official robomow wire?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for reading.

                      • Richard Gard
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2013
                          Good news.
                          I have an original TORO mower. Still works perfectly, never updated. 2nd set of batteries. Perimeter switch is in pieces and connects via alligator clips.

                          Regards,
                          RG

                          On May 3, 2013, at 8:31 AM, "b0omsling" <brettandheidi@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > I was thinking of getting this:
                          >
                          > http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/340676/6491x1-5g-y100-basec-approved-6491x-green-yellow-single-core-insulated-conduit-wiring-cable-1-5mm-100m-reel
                          >
                          > Does this look ok to you?
                          >
                          > UPDATE ON BROKEN MOWER
                          >
                          > I sent it off for servicing as I could not diagnose the fault. They have found out that my robot was a hand built one from 2007, before they came to market and that friendly robotics sent this unit out to test noise levels. It had custom firmware on it to override all the safety features assuming it was so they could get the mowing blade running upside down, on a tilt etc and monitor the noise levels.
                          >
                          > Anyway they were not sure my main board was going to take a new firmware but it has successfully flashed and all is now working correctly. :)
                          >
                          > Should get it back monday or tuesday. I'm very pleased with the result as I picked up the mower for £200, adding in the transport costs and the repairs I've ended up with a very little used RM400 for a tad over £400... and it the Daddy of all your mowers!
                          >
                          > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mowbo" <mowbo@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.
                          > >

                          > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rann_georgia" <southbound03@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Part of the advertising by the manufacturer is the safety of these units that the blades will stop before anything like fingers have the chance to get near them. Maybe they will replace the board for free to keep their statements true? I myself have had this happen when the unit became fairly hot.
                          > > >
                          > > > I don't think anyone addressed the question about the wire. No, I don't think there's anything special about the wire other than it comes packaged so that it's easy to lay out.
                          > > >
                          > > > Do yourself a favor and each time you have to cut the wire for whatever reason, solder it back, tape it and then finish off with liquid black tape. It'll save a lot of headaches in a couple of years down the road.

                        • Kevin Turner
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2013
                            Is it also the "daddy" of my RL2000?? :)

                            I sent it off for servicing as I could not diagnose the fault. They have found out that my robot was a hand built one from 2007, before they came to market and that friendly robotics sent this unit out to test noise levels. It had custom firmware on it to override all the safety features assuming it was so they could get the mowing blade running upside down, on a tilt etc and monitor the noise levels.

                            Anyway they were not sure my main board was going to take a new firmware but it has successfully flashed and all is now working correctly. :)

                            Should get it back monday or tuesday. I'm very pleased with the result as I picked up the mower for £200, adding in the transport costs and the repairs I've ended up with a very little used RM400 for a tad over £400... and it the Daddy of all your mowers!

                            ________________________________
                            NOTICE: The information in this electronic mail transmission is intended by CoralTree Systems Ltd for the use of the named individuals or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

                            CoralTree Systems Limited
                            25 Barnes Wallis Road
                            Segensworth East, Fareham
                            PO15 5TT

                            Company Registration Number 5021022.
                            Registered Office:
                            12-14 Carlton Place
                            Southampton, UK
                            SO15 2EA
                            VAT Registration Number 834 1020 74.

                          • Lee Hart
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2013
                              On 5/2/2013 10:31 PM, mowbo wrote:
                              > I have used regular wire for my installation and that works fine, no need to buy the expensive robomower wire, only thing is that i used black wire so i took awhile till you couldn't see it anymore.

                              The only precaution is not to use cheap wire. There are two reasons:

                              1. Cheap wire often uses cheap plasticisers (like peanut oil) to make
                              the plastic flexible. This smells like "food" to moles, gophers,
                              squirrels, etc. They will EAT it!

                              2. Cheap wire doesn't have the stabilizers to resist UV or ground
                              water. It will get brittle and crack with age, so you'll have to
                              repair or replace it. Look for UF or UH class insulations that
                              are intended for direct burial.

                              --
                              The greatest pleasure in life is to create something that wasn't there
                              before. -- Roy Spence
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3, 2013
                                I don't recommend stranded wire as much as solid, either.

                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-gauge-Heavy-Duty-Solid-Copper-Core-Pet-Containment-Boundary-WIRE-KIT-/320894422461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab6cc4dbd

                                I think that's the same product I got on eBay for my expanded install
                                years ago. GREAT stuff. The jacket is designed for outdoor, it's
                                UV/weather resistant.

                                It's TOUGH stuff. Actually hard to strip without very sharp wire
                                strippers.

                                There's a 16ga version too:
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-16-gauge-Heavy-duty-solid-Invisible-electric-hidden-dog-fence-wire-petsafe-/230946956748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c582e5cc

                                But I don't see a good reason to up your expense there. The 18ga is good.

                                Danny