Re: [RoboMower] Robo mower makes erratic moves

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      That's the drive train failing. It is not an uncommon problem.

      Well, one of two things actually. Often the motor heats up enough to
      sag in the mount, and its pinion- the little gear on the motor shaft-
      doesn't mesh well, skips, and they both grind down. Or, any or all of
      the gears wear, primarily the old style where there's no bearings on the
      centers, just bushings. The bushings compressed down over time, became
      slack, and the gears rocked around and became loose, thus meshing badly
      and grinding.

      If it's the motor mount alone, you need a new gear FRAME, if it's more,
      then you'd do better to replace the drive train as a set, esp if you
      have the old style with bushings.

      Danny

      On 3/2/2013 7:32 PM, catimann wrote:
      > Perhaps erratic is wrong. it looks like one wheel is getting stuck.
      >
      > Anyone else have a similar problem?
      >
      > Also anyone in the BC Canada area service these?

    • rann_georgia
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
        I have to agree. I'm going through the same problem. Mine got stuck on a tree root that was coming up.

        It appears that the replacement pinons are made of a tougher nylon(?) or composite material.

        If it's the pinon, one wheel will slip quite easily and the other one will have some traction.

        I believe that wiki has instructions on taking it apart. Probotics is the dealer in the U.S. They may also serve Canada.

        With shipping, the pinons came to around $43 dollars. He said to take plenty of pictures before you take anything apart.

        The pinon is on a brass sleeve which he said could be cut with a hack saw. I would guess that a dremel would work as well, just don't cut into the motor shaft.

        I do believe that the drive train has to be taken apart to get to the motor which has to come off. Likely a bottle of lock tight when putting it all back together would save a headache or two with the motors coming loose.

        These pinons should both be replaced at the same time and a machine shop is recommended to do that as a great deal of pressure is required to put them on.

        I asked if this was something expensive. He said one guy called him on this and said a machine shop guy, he'd just put it on for nothing. But, $20 dollars should be about the cost of having this done.

        As far as the motor issue, I haven't had to deal with that yet.

        Good luck.

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

        > That's the drive train failing. It is not an uncommon problem.
        >
        > Well, one of two things actually. Often the motor heats up enough to
        > sag in the mount, and its pinion- the little gear on the motor shaft-
        > doesn't mesh well, skips, and they both grind down. Or, any or all of
        > the gears wear, primarily the old style where there's no bearings on the
        > centers, just bushings. The bushings compressed down over time, became
        > slack, and the gears rocked around and became loose, thus meshing badly
        > and grinding.
        >
        > If it's the motor mount alone, you need a new gear FRAME, if it's more,
        > then you'd do better to replace the drive train as a set, esp if you
        > have the old style with bushings.
        >
        > Danny
        >
        > On 3/2/2013 7:32 PM, catimann wrote:
        > > Perhaps erratic is wrong. it looks like one wheel is getting stuck.
        > >
        > > Anyone else have a similar problem?
        > >
        > > Also anyone in the BC Canada area service these?

      • Charles Grenkow
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
          Where abouts in BC are you? There was one guy in Victoria who was certified to fix RoboMowers by Friendly Robotics - don't know if he still does cause FR tried to biff him when he fixed my machine on warranty.
          Chuck in VictoriaTo: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
          From: catimann@...
          Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 01:32:08 +0000
          Subject: [RoboMower] Robo mower makes erratic moves

          Perhaps erratic is wrong. it looks like one wheel is getting stuck.

          Anyone else have a similar problem?

          Also anyone in the BC Canada area service these?

        • catimann
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
            Hmmm then I think I know why mine is this way now. It got stuck several times over the summer and for long periods as I was busy.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
              Where in BC are you located? There was a certified RoboMower tech in Victoria 3 years ago - don't know if he is still in business since FR was very slow in paying him for his work.

              Chuck

              To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
              From: catimann@...
              Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 06:26:47 +0000