Re: [RoboMower] Switching to lithiums for RL500

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
      Unfortunately the question is now of VOLUMETRIC energy density. And you
      have a problem.

      The 12v 20ah half-U1 lead acid batts you're replacing are 1.72166
      watt-hr/cu in.

      Now a large-format rectangular lifepo4 cell can be 2.1 watt-hr/cu in.
      The 26650 2.3AH A123's come to 1.44 wh/cu in.

      The problem is the old case has almost 100% utilization of the volume
      inside the pack. Cylindrical cells have considerable airspace AND will
      have a remainder of space on the sides because the sizes won't line up
      just right with the volume.

      Rectangular cells will likely not be able to use all the space either.
      And you have to have exactly 8 cells, not 7, not 9. You can't just add
      as many cells as the pack can hold, if you can only fit 7 with the "big"
      size a mfg has, so you select a much smaller one and you see you can
      stack 8 but there's still room for 2 on the side and one flat across the
      top, you will still have to just use 8 and ignore the extra volume.

      It's just very likely you're going to have a significant volume problem
      with any arbitrary LiFePO4 shape (but rectangulars will usually make
      much better use of the space).
      So rectangulars are 22% denser by volume, but having a case that's only
      2/3rd battery and 1/3rd air would be a pretty lucky fit the way I see
      it. It will be less dense. Of course lead-acid always had trouble
      actually making the rated capacity repeatedly so the energy density for
      lead-acid was a bit optimistic.

      A123 LiFePO4 is 3.3v per cell not 3.6v, you need 8 for 24v. That's
      26.4v, or 13.2v per "batt" on the old lead-acid pair, a LITTLE high but
      that's the voltage you see when it's on the charger. Most other mfgs
      rate their cells at 3.2v though.

      For rectangulars go to Thundersky/Winston batt, or better yet CALB batt.

      I don't know of an A123 "3AH" cell. The common 26650 A123 is 2.3AH.
      They do make a AHR32113 cell which is 4.4AH in their gen-2 version of
      that cell, but those would be hard to obtain anyways, they're not sold
      on ebay or online or anything.

      Danny

      On 1/4/2013 9:30 AM, Christopher Zach wrote:
      > Last year I tried running a set of 20ah A123 pouch cells in my RL500
      > with a BMS on them. Not only did they work, the biggest problem was that
      > I couldn't run them down. Mower just kept going and going....
      >
      > It convinced me that Lithium is a way to go, keeping one old dead lead
      > battery in there as ballast. However the A123 cells are too tall and
      > have *way* too much power, so I'm going to try something else.
      >
      > Anyone thought about building a pack of smaller 3ah A123 cylinder cells
      > in parallel? A 17ah lead pack will put out only around 12ah under load
      > tops, so 4 strings of 3ah cells would do it nicely. 3.6 volt cells would
      > allow a 7 cell string to provide 24+ volts, 8 cells would make the
      > motors *sing* at 28 volts but might be too big to charge with the
      > on-board charger.
      >
      > I'm going to start work this winter, to have something for March/April.

    • wolfbob
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
        I don't understand the problem, Danny I

        took a picture showing all the 18650s I have (90) only filling about 60% of the RL500 battery compartment. Even with the charger, BMS and some lead weights in there it should be no problem to get 24 volts 20Ah. The SLAs as you point out only furnish around 10Ah out of the 17 Ah rating and have any life.

        Gotta run now, but I can post the picture when I figure out how..

        WBob

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          I would strongly caution you against building a large pack like that out
          of cobalt-cathode 18650s. That's just dangerous. Among 90 cells, the
          failure of a single cell is high, and a single-cell failure can
          definitely ignite the entire pack. Lithium packs burn hot and regular
          fire extinguishers may not be appropriate for burning lithium.

          Yes you can certainly get superior capacity over lead-acid, esp if you
          DON'T weight it back down. The lighter mower requires substantially
          less power to the drive motors. But you do need to consider the overall
          layout and space-efficiency because the volumetric density is only
          moderately better but the ability to utilize the volume is always much less.

          Volumetrically, when you're trying to parallel small cells into
          macrocells, there's a problem where you STILL want a macrocell to be
          rectangular for practical reasons. There's no law against making
          nonrectangular macrocells but it's just awkward to assemble Tetris-piece
          shapes into a pack.

          Danny

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
            Back for a moment...

            The LiIon have metal cases instead of the easily punctured and easily shorted LiFe etc. cells and are the one that fills all of those 50 million laptops. There is no Lithium metal in LiIon cells just some compound of Lithium that takes a lot to ignite. Read "Battery University"...It is by far the safest of the Lithium cells. Unlike the LiFe cells that the manufacturer warns you to never charge them without physical protection and never leave them unattended. My helicopter manufacturer (China) specifically warns about charging the LiFe batteries near anything valuable like people.

            By all means rectangular are more space efficient but not very good for cooling as the middle cells have no exposure. The 18650s get all of 10 deg F temp rise at 1.5A, hardly warm.

            Australia has banned individuals from shipping any Lithium batteries in their post. You can still ship them but you must use commercial carriers. I have several customers working on trying to educate the POLs who made such an arbitrary ruling.

            WBob

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              You've got many misconceptions, and you misread something somewhere.
              You've stated most things backwards from fact.

              Li-ion, the 18650 type, most of those are li-cobalt (they make a
              lithium-manganese-spinel type which is safer but 1/2 the capacity in the
              18650 case), are THE most dangerous cell. Hands down. They've got the
              highest initial storage density and the best cost-to-capacity ratio but
              don't easily safely scale up to large batts.

              LiFePO4 is not commonly used in laptops. Lithium cobalt or
              manganese-spinel are.

              Helicopter cells are li-polymer which is physically very similar to
              li-ion, and yes they're risky, but much of that comes from the very
              aggressive charging cycles in RC. They are flammable and do explode
              (pop) if overcharged.

              Li-cobalt is very very flammable, the metal case doesn't protect much
              against that. If there is a problem in the charging system where they
              get overcharged, they plate out metallic lithium in the anode and
              basically turn it into a little firebomb. And they're very vulnerable
              to catching fire when heated by another burning cell (thermal runaway).

              LiFePO4 doesn't "burn", but its energy will turn into heat if the
              separator fails. The don't react nearly as badly when overcharged, and
              they're much more resistant to thermal runaway (melting down because
              they were exposed to the heat of an adjacent batt melting).

              LiFePO4 is widely recognized as the safer chemistry by far. But that's
              not to say they're totally safe and could never catch fire. I don't
              know how you got the idea that the li-ion cobalt type was safer, but
              you're very much mistaken. No battery expert is going to back you on that.

              Danny

            • Lee Hart
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
                On 1/4/2013 3:20 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
                > I would strongly caution you against building a large pack like that out
                > of cobalt-cathode 18650s. That's just dangerous.

                I agree with Danny. Your typical 18650 laptop cell is *highly*
                combustible. Extensive safety measures need to be taken to prevent them
                from ever catching fire, because if they do, it will be spectacular.
                Think of them like a box of matches.

                The LiFe cells still burn, but it's harder to get them started, and the
                resulting fire spreads much slower. Think of them more like a box of
                kindling.

                > you need to consider the overall layout and space-efficiency because
                > the volumetric density is only moderately better, but the ability to
                > utilize the volume is always much less.

                Again, I agree. The watthours per pound of lithium is about 3 times
                better than lead acid, but the watthours per cubic foot is only slightly
                more. When I do talks, I have three batteries that graphically
                illustrate this: One Hawker lead-acid 12v 60ah, one GM/Ovonic nimh 12v
                90ah, and one Thundersky 12v 90ah. All three are the same size. But the
                lead-acid weighs 60 lbs, the nimh 40 lbs, and the lithium 22.5 lbs.

                When you have a fixed size battery box, you'll wind up with about the
                same watthour capacity no matter which battery chemistry you pick.

                --
                Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
                thousand things that won't work. -- Thomas A. Edison