Re: [RoboMower] On individual chargers...

  • Lee Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2012
      On 10/7/2012 1:00 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
      > Ran into a guy who drives his dogs around Austin on a Zapp! electric
      > vehicle... Said he's got 10K miles on it now, but has been through,
      > I think he said 3 sets of batteries.

      If it's a Zap Xebra, it's a miracle to get 10k miles on one. Zap are
      borderline crooks, and they import truly horrible stuff from China to
      sell to unsuspecting suckers (err, "customers").

      A local pizza company bought a fleet of Xebras for delivery vehicles. I
      did a lot of work on them, trying to keep them running. Piece by piece,
      just about everything broke. The only way to keep it going to to find
      better parts to replace things.

      The original batteries were bottom-of-the-line junk that only lasted a
      few months. Replacing them with deep-cycle "marine" batteries lasted
      almost a year. Replacing these with true deep-cycle 8v golf cart
      batteries doubled it again (but the vehicles themselves had so many
      problems that they were unusable).

      The crappy charger's main problem was that it didn't know the difference
      between the original AGMs, flooded marine, and golf cart batteries, it
      wasn't temperature compensated (mandatory for vehicles used outdoors),
      and didn't change its charging profile as the batteries aged (charging
      voltage needs to be reduced as batteries age). We replaced them with
      DeltaQ chargers.

      --
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
      good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. -- Howard Aiken
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2012
        On 10/7/2012 1:00 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
        > Ran into a guy who drives his dogs around Austin on a Zapp! electric

        Sorry for the rant. I got so wound up that I forgot to address the
        original topic. :-)

        > He ended up being very satisfied with individual chargers- well, not one
        > per cell, one per 12v battery.
        >
        > I do think the same problem is contributing to Robomower battery death,
        > and we'd be better off with 2x 12v smart chargers hooked up together.
        > They're plenty cheap enough now off of eBay.

        I think this is good advice. I had short battery life with my stock
        Robomower charger, so I replaced it with two 12v chargers.

        The ones I'm using aren't exactly "smart", but they are smarter that
        what it came with. They are intended for electric wheelchairs, so built
        better than the usual stuff. They charge at 2.75 amps until the voltage
        reaches 14.7v, then hold 14.7v until the current falls under 200ma, then
        switch to a 13.7v float voltage.

        --
        If you would not be forgotten
        When your body's dead and rotten