RL 550 Battery replacement

  • colintyrrell77
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi all,
      I was looking up info on my Robomow when I found this forum; thanks for being allowed to join.

      The battery on my RL550 seems to be degraded. I'm not sure if is is both batteries, or just the one that is degraded. Bascially I'm getting about 70 mins mowing time.. I was getting up to 160 minutes.
      The battery pack packs consists of two x BB Battery EP17-12:
      http://www.sader.com.tr/images/urunler/EP17_12.pdf

      I'd like to change the batteries. I'm wondering if these will be sufficient, or not:
      http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/datasheets/Yucel/YPC22-12_UK.pdf

      What do you think?
      Thanks,
      Colin
    • Benjamin Hill
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
        I have found, as I think many others will agree, the best batteries to use are the BB EB20-12/EB24-12. I don’t see the YUASA model you mention listed in the tested list at http://robomowerwiki.com/Battery_pack, so I can’t really comment on it. There are a long list of batteries that have been tried and proved to be garbage in this application. I’d advise sticking with the known good ones for best luck.

        Ben

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
          From the link you posted I assume your from Ireland and not the states.
          Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
          BKelley

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
            EB20-12 seems to be an excellent battery, and is readily available via
            Digikey. Exploit their free shipping, by sending a physical CHECK or MO
            in the actual mail. (it's in their Payment terms, check="free shipping
            to US/Canada no matter what the order"). Not paying shipping on ~40 lbs
            of lead makes the price quite alone quite attractive.

            Can you even GET Yuasas now?

            BB Battery is actually US manufacture, which yields much more consistent
            manufacture.

            How long did you use the EP17-12, for the record?

            Danny

            On 10/3/2012 12:27 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:

            > >From the link you posted I assume your from Ireland and not the states.
            > Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
            > BKelley
            > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "colintyrrell77" <colintyrrell77@...> wrote:
            >> Hi all,
            >> I was looking up info on my Robomow when I found this forum; thanks for being allowed to join.
            >>
            >> The battery on my RL550 seems to be degraded. I'm not sure if is is both batteries, or just the one that is degraded. Bascially I'm getting about 70 mins mowing time.. I was getting up to 160 minutes.
            >> The battery pack packs consists of two x BB Battery EP17-12:
            >> http://www.sader.com.tr/images/urunler/EP17_12.pdf
            >>
            >> I'd like to change the batteries. I'm wondering if these will be sufficient, or not:
            >> http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/datasheets/Yucel/YPC22-12_UK.pdf
            >>
            >> What do you think?
            >> Thanks,
            >> Colin

          • bkelley9401
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
              Danny his post came from Ireland so BB battery may not be afordable to him and other batteries need to be looked into.
              And Yes you can well at least someone can.
              http://www.yuasabatteries.com/industrial_distributors.php
              1901 W. Braker Lane
              Austin,TX 78758
              512-832-5440

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

              > EB20-12 seems to be an excellent battery, and is readily available via
              > Digikey. Exploit their free shipping, by sending a physical CHECK or MO
              > in the actual mail. (it's in their Payment terms, check="free shipping
              > to US/Canada no matter what the order"). Not paying shipping on ~40 lbs
              > of lead makes the price quite alone quite attractive.
              >
              > Can you even GET Yuasas now?
              >
              > BB Battery is actually US manufacture, which yields much more consistent
              > manufacture.
              >
              > How long did you use the EP17-12, for the record?
              >
              > Danny
              >
              > On 10/3/2012 12:27 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:
              > >

              > > >From the link you posted I assume your from Ireland and not the states.
              > > Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
              > > BKelley
              > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "colintyrrell77" <colintyrrell77@> wrote:
              > >> Hi all,
              > >> I was looking up info on my Robomow when I found this forum; thanks for being allowed to join.
              > >>
              > >> The battery on my RL550 seems to be degraded. I'm not sure if is is both batteries, or just the one that is degraded. Bascially I'm getting about 70 mins mowing time.. I was getting up to 160 minutes.
              > >> The battery pack packs consists of two x BB Battery EP17-12:
              > >> http://www.sader.com.tr/images/urunler/EP17_12.pdf
              > >>
              > >> I'd like to change the batteries. I'm wondering if these will be sufficient, or not:
              > >> http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/datasheets/Yucel/YPC22-12_UK.pdf
              > >>
              > >> What do you think?
              > >> Thanks,
              > >> Colin

            • bkelley9401
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                Did you know?
                Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing motorcycle batteries in the U.S.A. to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979. Most of the large capacity Powersports batteries are manufactured in our Laureldale, PA plant. All other Powersports batteries are produced in a Yuasa state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in various countries throughout the world. Each Yuasa facility follows the same rigorous manufacturing processes to ensure the highest Yuasa quality standards are met.

                We are the largest American manufacturer and the largest distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all-terrain vehicles and personal watercraft. Click here to learn the features and benefits of Yuasa batteries.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                > EB20-12 seems to be an excellent battery, and is readily available via
                > Digikey. Exploit their free shipping, by sending a physical CHECK or MO
                > in the actual mail. (it's in their Payment terms, check="free shipping
                > to US/Canada no matter what the order"). Not paying shipping on ~40 lbs
                > of lead makes the price quite alone quite attractive.
                >
                > Can you even GET Yuasas now?
                >
                > BB Battery is actually US manufacture, which yields much more consistent
                > manufacture.
                >
                > How long did you use the EP17-12, for the record?
                >
                > Danny
                >
                > On 10/3/2012 12:27 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:
                > >

                > > >From the link you posted I assume your from Ireland and not the states.
                > > Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
                > > BKelley
                > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "colintyrrell77" <colintyrrell77@> wrote:
                > >> Hi all,
                > >> I was looking up info on my Robomow when I found this forum; thanks for being allowed to join.
                > >>
                > >> The battery on my RL550 seems to be degraded. I'm not sure if is is both batteries, or just the one that is degraded. Bascially I'm getting about 70 mins mowing time.. I was getting up to 160 minutes.
                > >> The battery pack packs consists of two x BB Battery EP17-12:
                > >> http://www.sader.com.tr/images/urunler/EP17_12.pdf
                > >>
                > >> I'd like to change the batteries. I'm wondering if these will be sufficient, or not:
                > >> http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/datasheets/Yucel/YPC22-12_UK.pdf
                > >>
                > >> What do you think?
                > >> Thanks,
                > >> Colin

              • bkelley9401
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Did you know?
                  Yuasa/General Battery engineered its first YMF14L-2 maintenance free and gas recombination battery for the powersports aftermarket in the early 1980's. Additionally, the Company developed the first AGM, YTX14-BS specifically for ATV applications.

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "bkelley9401" <neverheardofhim@...> wrote:

                  > Did you know?
                  > Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing motorcycle batteries in the U.S.A. to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979. Most of the large capacity Powersports batteries are manufactured in our Laureldale, PA plant. All other Powersports batteries are produced in a Yuasa state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in various countries throughout the world. Each Yuasa facility follows the same rigorous manufacturing processes to ensure the highest Yuasa quality standards are met.
                  >
                  > We are the largest American manufacturer and the largest distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all-terrain vehicles and personal watercraft. Click here to learn the features and benefits of Yuasa batteries.
                  >

                  > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > EB20-12 seems to be an excellent battery, and is readily available via
                  > > Digikey. Exploit their free shipping, by sending a physical CHECK or MO
                  > > in the actual mail. (it's in their Payment terms, check="free shipping
                  > > to US/Canada no matter what the order"). Not paying shipping on ~40 lbs
                  > > of lead makes the price quite alone quite attractive.
                  > >
                  > > Can you even GET Yuasas now?
                  > >
                  > > BB Battery is actually US manufacture, which yields much more consistent
                  > > manufacture.
                  > >
                  > > How long did you use the EP17-12, for the record?
                  > >
                  > > Danny

                  > > > Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
                  > > > BKelley

                • bkelley9401
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                    Did you know?
                    In 1987, Yuasa/Exide Battery Corporation evolved when General Battery sold its company to Exide Corporation. Yuasa/Exide Battery Corporation purchased Exide's Industrial Division (Motive Power and stand by batteries) in 1991 to form Yuasa Inc.(Yuasa(ja) and General(us) merged in 1977)

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "bkelley9401" <neverheardofhim@...> wrote:

                    > Did you know?
                    > Yuasa/General Battery engineered its first YMF14L-2 maintenance free and gas recombination battery for the powersports aftermarket in the early 1980's. Additionally, the Company developed the first AGM, YTX14-BS specifically for ATV applications.
                    >

                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "bkelley9401" <neverheardofhim@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Did you know?
                    > > Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing motorcycle batteries in the U.S.A. to uncompromisingly high standards since 1979. Most of the large capacity Powersports batteries are manufactured in our Laureldale, PA plant. All other Powersports batteries are produced in a Yuasa state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in various countries throughout the world. Each Yuasa facility follows the same rigorous manufacturing processes to ensure the highest Yuasa quality standards are met.
                    > >
                    > > We are the largest American manufacturer and the largest distributor of batteries for motorcycles, snowmobiles, scooters, all-terrain vehicles and personal watercraft. Click here to learn the features and benefits of Yuasa batteries.
                    > >

                    > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > EB20-12 seems to be an excellent battery, and is readily available via
                    > > > Digikey. Exploit their free shipping, by sending a physical CHECK or MO
                    > > > in the actual mail. (it's in their Payment terms, check="free shipping
                    > > > to US/Canada no matter what the order"). Not paying shipping on ~40 lbs
                    > > > of lead makes the price quite alone quite attractive.
                    > > >
                    > > > Can you even GET Yuasas now?
                    > > >
                    > > > BB Battery is actually US manufacture, which yields much more consistent
                    > > > manufacture.
                    > > >
                    > > > How long did you use the EP17-12, for the record?
                    > > >
                    > > > Danny

                  • Colin Tyrrell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2012
                      Thanks folks, and apologies for the slow reply.
                      Yup, in Ireland.. and it seems to be difficult to get the recommended batteries.

                      I got 2 years out of the BB batteries.. which is very disappointing.
                      I'm still using them... but today I only got 46 minutes out of them.
                      Also, I got them tested for the voltage.. they tested fine apparently.

                      ________________________________
                      Yuasa makes good batteries, but here in the states yuasa sold their agm line (EnerSys) and the YPC22-12 isn't available in the states. Yuasa NPC17-12 was original battery for the robomower in the US and was a good battery. So I see no reason for the YPC22-12 battery not to be good. The ah rate to battery weight is good. I do use a EnerSys NP18-12 battery and it works just fine. Yuasa is a global company and applies their standards to all manufacturing plants not just paper stickers and gray cases. This IS my opinion so good luck.
                      BKelley
                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "colintyrrell77" <colintyrrell77@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > I was looking up info on my Robomow when I found this forum; thanks for being allowed to join.
                      >
                      > The battery on my RL550 seems to be degraded. I'm not sure if is is both batteries, or just the one that is degraded. Bascially I'm getting about 70 mins mowing time.. I was getting up to 160 minutes.
                      > The battery pack packs consists of two x BB Battery EP17-12:
                      > http://www.sader.com.tr/images/urunler/EP17_12.pdf
                      >
                      > I'd like to change the batteries. I'm wondering if these will be sufficient, or not:
                      > http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/datasheets/Yucel/YPC22-12_UK.pdf
                      >
                      > What do you think?
                      > Thanks,
                      > Colin

                    • socaoimh
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
                        Hello ,
                        how long each day did you run mower for . How often did you put mower out (every second day etc ).

                        Joe.

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Colin Tyrrell <colintyrrell77@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks folks, and apologies for the slow reply.
                        > Yup, in Ireland.. and it seems to be difficult to get the recommended batteries.
                        >
                        > I got 2 years out of the BB batteries.. which is very disappointing.
                        > I'm still using them... but today I only got 46 minutes out of them.
                        > Also, I got them tested for the voltage.. they tested fine apparently.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • bkelley9401
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
                          Colin, if the 17ah battery had enough mow time per charge then an 18ah battery will work just fine and save you a pound or two. I see that yuasa EU sells np18-12, npc17-12 and then jump to the ypc22-12(make sure you can adapt to the different bolt pattern) I can't find a 20ah battery in their mix that also applies to BB-battery EU.You'll have to do you're own leg work for the best deal. Try elec. bike /scooter shops wheel chair shops and power backup shops they all use this type of battery. Ask for a spec sheet and check the weight of the battery(not shipping weight) this is the one thing that will change from ah to ah and cheap to expensive.
                          BKelley

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Colin Tyrrell <colintyrrell77@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks folks, and apologies for the slow reply.
                          > Yup, in Ireland.. and it seems to be difficult to get the recommended batteries.
                          >
                          > I got 2 years out of the BB batteries.. which is very disappointing.
                          > I'm still using them... but today I only got 46 minutes out of them.
                          > Also, I got them tested for the voltage.. they tested fine apparently.

                        • Colin Tyrrell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 11, 2012
                            Thank you BKelley,
                            useful information. It does seem to be harder to source batteries over here.
                            Less golfers it seems!

                            Colin