Re: Bot Theft - LawnJack your Robomower!

  • lucasaltic
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2012
      @Don,

      Sorry to hear about your recent loss. Though the possibility of theft
      has always been in the back of my mind, your post was an eye-opener for
      me, so I started doing some research and found this little gem:

      $40 DIY Real Time GPS Tracker
      <http://imadethisdesign.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-40year-gps-tracking-on-\
      cheap.html>

      Basically, you buy a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phone from a service
      like Boost Mobile <http://www.boostmobile.com> and install a free app
      called InstaMapper <http://www.instamapper.com> and BAM you have a real
      time GPS tracker for your Robomower for about $40 per year. The link
      shows you how to set it up for a car, but we would have to do a mod to
      wire the phone's charger into the Robomower battery pack for extended
      life. The latter could probably be skipped, however we would have to
      charge the phone every day or so. Imagine the look on the crook's face
      when the cops show up on their front door and explain that the bot they
      stole has a GPS locator strapped under the hood!

      I plan to adapt this to the Robomower and will post a pictorial when I
      finish it.

      Luc

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

      > Trackers capable of SMS are quickly becoming very cheap. They're not
      > really a formal "service".
      >
      > It's just a small SMS device, GPS, and battery. You text the device,
      it
      > wakes up frequently for just long enough to check its messages. If it
      > finds a request, it gets a GPS location and texts you back its
      latitude
      > and longitude. You can look it up on Google maps or use an app to
      show
      > its location.
      >
      > Other than the wireless phone network's SIM card, it's not subscribed
      > any service per se.
      >
      > Danny
      >
      > On 3/30/2012 5:33 PM, Randy Kroeker wrote:
      > > I was thinking of inserting a Tagg pet tracker under the hood, to be
      able to trace it in the event of theft.

      > > Or point a webcam out the window of the house at the area where the
      bot is operating, with a video capture program like Crime Catcher.