Re: Stolen LawnBott alert!

  • bkelley9401
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 6:00 PM
      Take the worry out of worrying about your loved one. Yes you can with the "LOC8TOR-PLUS". Tack one of these babies on your loved one and you can send your loved one out to roam the wild green yonder while you Googleye that new neighbor. What a life.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Turtle" <vinces123@...> wrote:

      > I do worry every time I have my RL1000 cut my front yard. I try to keep an eye on it while it is mowing.
      >
      > Thought of an idea that perhaps someone might have given some thought how to do it effectively. The idea is to have an alarm go off if the mower is outside of the perimeter wire. That way if some attempts to steal the mower, the alarm might deter him. So that the alarm couldn't be disable so easily, you would need to have a keyed-lock on the battery pack.
      >
      > Vince
      > Houston, TX
      >
      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Randy Kroeker <kroeran@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was thinking of inserting a Tagg pet tracker under the hood, to be able to trace it in the event of theft.
      > >

      > > Or point a webcam out the window of the house at the area where the bot is operating, with a video capture program like Crime Catcher.
      > >
      > > Glue an intimidating fake or functional wireless security camera to the hood of the mower.
      > >

      > > Or somehow string some wire around it that is charged like an electified cattle fence!
      > >

      > > Cut off the handle at the front that makes it easy to pick up?
      > >
      > > Theft is a serious limiting factor for robotic mowing, and this will need to get resolved.

    • lucasaltic
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 6:00 PM
        @Don,

        Sorry to hear about your recent loss. Though the possibility of theft
        has always been in the back of my mind, your post was an eye-opener for
        me, so I started doing some research and found this little gem:

        $40 DIY Real Time GPS Tracker
        <http://imadethisdesign.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-40year-gps-tracking-on-\
        cheap.html>

        Basically, you buy a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phone from a service
        like Boost Mobile <http://www.boostmobile.com> and install a free app
        called InstaMapper <http://www.instamapper.com> and BAM you have a real
        time GPS tracker for your Robomower for about $40 per year. The link
        shows you how to set it up for a car, but we would have to do a mod to
        wire the phone's charger into the Robomower battery pack for extended
        life. The latter could probably be skipped, however we would have to
        charge the phone every day or so. Imagine the look on the crook's face
        when the cops show up on their front door and explain that the bot they
        stole has a GPS locator strapped under the hood!

        I plan to adapt this to the Robomower and will post a pictorial when I
        finish it.

        Luc