Re: Can I get a hand?

  • bkelley9401
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
      Any cheap cable tracker you will need too have contact with the wire. The superman versions are cost prohibitive. I have a cen-tech and it does work at least for 135 feet used to check well pump wire. Can't see through walls or dirt.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cable+tracker
      bkelley

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "m.hadank" <hadanjm@...> wrote:

      > I suggest you forget the Cen-Tech cable tracker at Harbor Freight. I don't know how well the Pet Safe design works, but the Cen-Tech unit was worthless for finding a break in my robomower line. The receiver simply can't detect a signal once the line goes underground. I also tried using an AM radio to locate the break using the Cen-Tech transmitter; and although the radio picked up the signal well, it couldn't locate the break (perhaps too much signal).
      >
      > The one thing the Cen-Tech device had going for it was price -- only $18. So if someone finds something out there that gets the job done for that kind of money, let us all know.
      >
      > Marty
      >

      > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Pet Safe is hardly the only brand. Tempo was the only game in town for
      > > awhile, but now Harbor Freight carries a cheap one now.
      > >
      > > Danny
      > >
      > > On 8/14/2011 6:13 AM, Ken H. wrote:
      > > > Has anyone used the Pet-Safe wire detector to find a break in your perimeter wire?
      > > >

      > > > Ken
      > > >

      > > > ________________________________

    • Lee Hart
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
        I've had to deal with numerous cable breaks. My neighbor is a yard nut;
        an older retired guy with nothing better to do than obsess over his
        lawn. He unfortunately has only a vague idea of where the property line
        is, and has repeatedly broken the wire.

        In places where the grass got thin, he's seen the wire, and ripped it
        out ("What's that? Trash in my yard!") He's had his yard aerated, and
        didn't tell them about the wire, so they cut it in numerous spots. When
        I patched it with a bright orange extension cord on the surface so I
        could mow until I could fix all the breaks, he mowed the cord and
        chopped it to bits.

        I resorted to replacing the wire with a 1/4" plastic coated steel
        aircraft cable. So far, he hasn't been able to break that!

        Anyway; on finding breaks: I didn't have any luck either with gadgets
        for finding breaks in "invisible fences" for dogs. So I've had to use
        the "binary search" method:

        - Dig up the center of the wire (like 50' along a 100' run).
        - Bare the insulation, and use an ohmmeter or light bulb and
        battery to measure each half (start to center, and center
        to end. This tells you which half the break is in.
        - Go to the center of the section with the break, and dig
        up the wire again.
        - Bare the insulation, and measure each half again.
        - Repeat until you have narrowed the break down to a 5-10'
        stretch. Then just dig out or pull out that stretch to find
        and fix the break.
        - Tape up all the taps and re-bury them.

        Tedious... but it works.
      • bkelley9401
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
          Lee if your P-wire is inside your property line by Robo ruler then you can take him to small claims court he will not forget when he has to pay for a new wire. The P-switch is a ohm meter pass or fail no need for any other to test the line.
          bkelley

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Lee Hart <leeahart@...> wrote:

          > I've had to deal with numerous cable breaks. My neighbor is a yard nut;
          > an older retired guy with nothing better to do than obsess over his
          > lawn. He unfortunately has only a vague idea of where the property line
          > is, and has repeatedly broken the wire.
          >
          > In places where the grass got thin, he's seen the wire, and ripped it
          > out ("What's that? Trash in my yard!") He's had his yard aerated, and
          > didn't tell them about the wire, so they cut it in numerous spots. When
          > I patched it with a bright orange extension cord on the surface so I
          > could mow until I could fix all the breaks, he mowed the cord and
          > chopped it to bits.
          >
          > I resorted to replacing the wire with a 1/4" plastic coated steel
          > aircraft cable. So far, he hasn't been able to break that!
          >
          > Anyway; on finding breaks: I didn't have any luck either with gadgets
          > for finding breaks in "invisible fences" for dogs. So I've had to use
          > the "binary search" method:
          >
          > - Dig up the center of the wire (like 50' along a 100' run).
          > - Bare the insulation, and use an ohmmeter or light bulb and
          > battery to measure each half (start to center, and center
          > to end. This tells you which half the break is in.
          > - Go to the center of the section with the break, and dig
          > up the wire again.
          > - Bare the insulation, and measure each half again.
          > - Repeat until you have narrowed the break down to a 5-10'
          > stretch. Then just dig out or pull out that stretch to find
          > and fix the break.
          > - Tape up all the taps and re-bury them.
          >
          > Tedious... but it works.
          > --
          > Lee A. Hart | Ring the bells that still can ring
          > 814 8th Ave N | Forget the perfect offering
          > Sartell MN 56377 | There is a crack in everything
          > leeahart earthlink.net | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

        • Lee Hart
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
            On 8/15/2011 12:25 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:
            > Lee if your P-wire is inside your property line by Robo ruler
            > then you can take him to small claims court

            Yes; but that makes a neighbor into an enemy. I have to live next door
            to the guy. He will look for ways to "get even".

            > The P-switch is a ohm meter pass or fail no need for any other
            > to test the line.

            That's true; but a little battery and light bulb was easier. :-)

            I used a 100' extension cord as my "test lead". Connect one wire (like
            the ground wire) at the spot in the perimeter wire that was dug up, and
            the ground at the other end of the cord to one side of the perimeter switch.

            If the perimeter switch says "good", the break isn't in that half of the
            perimeter wire. Try the other half. Proceed with the binary search as
            described earlier.

          • Mike White
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
              Can anyone suggest a method of finding a wire which has been underground for years and onto which you wish to attach your test lead.

              Mike White UK

              On 8/15/2011 12:25 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:
              > Lee if your P-wire is inside your property line by Robo ruler
              > then you can take him to small claims court

              Yes; but that makes a neighbor into an enemy. I have to live next door
              to the guy. He will look for ways to "get even".

              > The P-switch is a ohm meter pass or fail no need for any other
              > to test the line.

              That's true; but a little battery and light bulb was easier. :-)

              I used a 100' extension cord as my "test lead". Connect one wire (like
              the ground wire) at the spot in the perimeter wire that was dug up, and
              the ground at the other end of the cord to one side of the perimeter switch.

              If the perimeter switch says "good", the break isn't in that half of the
              perimeter wire. Try the other half. Proceed with the binary search as
              described earlier.

            • Robert Silva
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                Use a trowel or small spade and carefully dig perpendicular to the wire. You will hit it eventually. I wish I chose a color other than black for my wire. The green stuff is easier to spot.

                -Bob

                On Aug 16, 2011, at 5:52 PM, "Mike White" <mike@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone suggest a method of finding a wire which has been underground for years and onto which you wish to attach your test lead.
                >
                > Mike White UK

              • Ken H.
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                  That is too much work  Who wants to dig when it's 95 degrees outside?

                  Ken

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                    I recommend a large flatblade screwdriver. It will be very unlikely the
                    cut the wire if you happen to go straight down on top of it, or if you
                    drag the tool sideways getting the dirt out. It always worked for me.

                    Danny

                    On 8/16/2011 6:59 PM, Robert Silva wrote:
                    > Use a trowel or small spade and carefully dig perpendicular to the wire. You will hit it eventually. I wish I chose a color other than black for my wire. The green stuff is easier to spot.
                    >
                    > -Bob
                    >
                    > On Aug 16, 2011, at 5:52 PM, "Mike White"<mike@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Can anyone suggest a method of finding a wire which has been underground for years and onto which you wish to attach your test lead.
                    >>
                    >> Mike White UK

                  • Vince Schappell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                      I had a buried wire break after five years. So I tried my old transistor
                      radio and was able to hear the signal from the wire once I tuned into the
                      frequency. I followed the wire along until the sound from the radio dropped
                      out, or changed somewhat. Dug up in the area and there was the break.

                      Vince
                      Houston, TX

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                        You can also go to the Robomower Electronics section down at Home Depot.

                        Among the electronic/network tools they usually have a wire locator. Some
                        folks use them to put a signal on computer network wiring and then find the
                        other end with a receiver wand. But they work well for locating perimeter
                        wires so long as they're not buried deep.

                        This is not the one I have(don't know how well it works), but it's the type
                        I'm talking about:

                        http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical/electrical-tools-accessories/ideal/t
                        racetone-cable-wire-tester-and-locator-71335.html

                        The AM radio should work just about as well in my opinion.

                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                          On 8/16/2011 4:52 PM, Mike White wrote:
                          > Can anyone suggest a method of finding a wire which has been underground for years and onto which you wish to attach your test lead.

                          I dig a narrow little trench at right angles to where the wire is with a
                          garden tool (can't recall the name of it; it's shaped like a very narrow
                          shovel maybe 1" wide and 6" long). Dig carefully along until I find the
                          wire. Then dig along the wire for 6" or so, until I have enough exposed
                          so I can strip the insulation to make contact with the wire.

                          Painful and tedious; but it works.

                        • Lee Hart
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                            On 8/16/2011 8:00 PM, Ken H. wrote:
                            > That is too much work Who wants to dig when it's 95 degrees outside?

                            No one *wants* to; but we do what we *have* to do. :-(

                            I looked for an easier way with the dog fence gadget, but it didn't work
                            and was just a waste of time. I had no choice but to start digging.

                          • Chris Zach
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                              Lee Hart wrote:
                              > On 8/16/2011 8:00 PM, Ken H. wrote:
                              >> That is too much work Who wants to dig when it's 95 degrees outside?
                              >
                              > No one *wants* to; but we do what we *have* to do. :-(
                              >
                              > I looked for an easier way with the dog fence gadget, but it didn't work
                              > and was just a waste of time. I had no choice but to start digging.

                              I just use a small pick, when I hit the wire it comes right up without
                              breaking. Pretty simple.

                              Chris
                            • Benjamin Hill
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 18, 2011
                                I wonder if you could use a telephone wire identifier? You’d have to unhook the wires from the robomow box, and then attach the leads from the wire finder accordingly. This is sometimes called a fox and hound. It might not work, but if you have a friend in the telephone or computer business they probably would loan you one to try.

                                I always install with the ruler, so I know pretty close where to dig…

                                Good luck!

                                Ben