mowing

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
      I've noticed that my 850 does not mow as close or as good going backwards as it
      does fowards. Anyone else experience this? Is front down too low? Or?
      A visual difference.

    • Austin Morgan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
        I have actually noticed the opposite. Most likely it has to do with the
        difference of your height setting of the back of the motor compared to
        the front. Most likely you have the back set low and the front set
        high. When the grass is pushed down by the length of the back of
        the mower it does not have time to spring back up and get cut in the
        blade wells. You could also try a low cut blade and that made mine mow
        pretty much the same going forward and backward.

        On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:32:21AM -0700, jeff wrote:
        > I've noticed that my 850 does not mow as close or as good going backwards as it
        > does fowards. Anyone else experience this? Is front down too low? Or?
        > A visual difference.

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
          I have always used 'high cut' blades and have heard that 'low cut' blades
          dull faster due to smaller cutting area. Is this correct?

          I have actually noticed the opposite. Most likely it has to do with the
          difference of your height setting of the back of the motor compared to
          the front. Most likely you have the back set low and the front set
          high. When the grass is pushed down by the length of the back of
          the mower it does not have time to spring back up and get cut in the
          blade wells. You could also try a low cut blade and that made mine mow
          pretty much the same going forward and backward.

          On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:32:21AM -0700, jeff wrote:
          > I've noticed that my 850 does not mow as close or as good going backwards
          as it
          > does fowards. Anyone else experience this? Is front down too low? Or?
          > A visual difference.

        • Austin Morgan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
            I find low cut blades dull faster due to hitting things like tree roots
            more than the smaller cutting area. I have also found they make my yard
            look a lot nicer

            On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 01:46:31PM -0500, Eric wrote:
            > I have always used 'high cut' blades and have heard that 'low cut' blades
            > dull faster due to smaller cutting area. Is this correct?

          • Benjamin Hill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
              I agree. High cut=last longer. Low-cut=looks better.

              I heard that the low-cut blades were designed for Europe...for what it's
              worth...they work nicely in Kentucky. (Paris and Versailles too J )

              Ben

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
                Yes, they dull faster and for that reason.

                In addition, since the cutting is done in that smaller area (and because
                that area is farther from the center) it uses a little more torque so the
                mower doesn't run quite as long on a charge. The mower is also slightly
                more noisy (for the same grass height) because the blade is farther out of
                the mow cavity and the mower is off the grass more.

                Still, some folks like the low cut better. I used them for a while myself.
                I do like the cut, but went back to the high cut blades. In fact, if you
                have shooting weeds that come up tall between mowing (I think Bermuda grass
                will do that) you will find the low cut blades will cut those off. If you
                use high cut blades the mower just bends them over and the blades miss them.

                I actually mow my grass the same height using either blade. Somewhere I
                wrote down the number of turns required to adjust the nose wheel to
                compensate.

                Dan

                From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>