Re: [RoboMower] Robomower batteries

  • wolfbob
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      Danny..

      I am sure you will appreciate this gem I discovered.

      I have been waiting 9 months for a gear box for my 550. So I am looking elsewhere for my second mower. I found a never used 500 in long beach for $300. Really, never used the blades and undercarrage is pristine.

      I stuck my 550 battery into the mower and nothing. Nothing at all. No lights no nothing. I suspect a fuse is blown. I'll get to that later.

      I checked the batteries and they had zero voltage and would not charge with any of my regular chargers 24v or individually 12v.

      I tried to kick start them. I have a power supply that is voltage and current limiting with good metering and goes up to 48v and 5A. I connected it across the 24 volt connection and ran it up to 48 v. No current flowed. Not even 5 ma.
      I then connectedit across one of the batteries an ran it up and it drew 10 mA. I set the current limit at 1.5A and left it like this for 12 hours. At the end of 12 hours the current had limited to 1.5 A and the voltage had dropped to 13.1 volts...I think this battery is useable.

      I tried it on the other 12 volt battery and after 12 hours of sitting there the current is only up to 20 mA. I don't think this one is going to make it but I will leave it another 24 hours.

      I haven't checked this theory out but I'll bet that the original owner hooked the batteries up backwards andf blew out stuff.

      I'll get on to it later, I am feeling sickly todfay..

      WBob

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
        That's desulfation. I've never taken it up that high, though. With a
        long-neglected dead batt, I've gotten them "better" by dumping like 28V
        on a 12v cell, and typically it picks up within 20 min.

        It'll return batteries stored in a discharged state back to "working".
        Regrettably, it cannot help a battery which is simply "cycled out".
        Being cycled out typically means damage to the plate or grid, which
        isn't repairable.

        Batteries sulfated may also have damage to plate or grid due to stored
        discharged for a long time, but if it works, it works. I wouldn't try
        to combine one of these with a new batt, that's asking for trouble.

        You must be careful NOT to leave it on after it picks up. What's gonna
        happen is sooner or later it reaches full charge, but the charger won't
        stop at 14.4v, it'll keep delivering current, the battery will
        overcharge, boil and melt down. What I'd do is put them on my power
        supply at high voltage, eventually it "picks up"

        Danny

        On 6/4/2011 7:51 PM, wolfbob wrote:
        > Danny..
        >
        > I am sure you will appreciate this gem I discovered.
        >
        > I have been waiting 9 months for a gear box for my 550. So I am looking elsewhere for my second mower. I found a never used 500 in long beach for $300. Really, never used the blades and undercarrage is pristine.
        >
        > I stuck my 550 battery into the mower and nothing. Nothing at all. No lights no nothing. I suspect a fuse is blown. I'll get to that later.
        >
        > I checked the batteries and they had zero voltage and would not charge with any of my regular chargers 24v or individually 12v.
        >
        > I tried to kick start them. I have a power supply that is voltage and current limiting with good metering and goes up to 48v and 5A. I connected it across the 24 volt connection and ran it up to 48 v. No current flowed. Not even 5 ma.
        > I then connectedit across one of the batteries an ran it up and it drew 10 mA. I set the current limit at 1.5A and left it like this for 12 hours. At the end of 12 hours the current had limited to 1.5 A and the voltage had dropped to 13.1 volts...I think this battery is useable.
        >
        > I tried it on the other 12 volt battery and after 12 hours of sitting there the current is only up to 20 mA. I don't think this one is going to make it but I will leave it another 24 hours.
        >
        > I haven't checked this theory out but I'll bet that the original owner hooked the batteries up backwards andf blew out stuff.
        >
        > I'll get on to it later, I am feeling sickly todfay..
        >
        > WBob

      • wolfbob
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
          Understand. I shut down the CC charging at 13.1 volts and I will use that battery in another application with a normal 12 charger.. Still no life appearing in the second battery....phooey..

          I may get to finding out what is wrong with the mower today.