Re: [RoboMower] Re: May be leaving the RM scene

  • Robert Silva
    Message 1 of 11 , May 23, 2011
      Keep me in mind if you decide to start a project. I am a mechanical design engineer and my BS is in business management. I've been brainstorming ideas to market a robo mower in the US for less than $1000.

      As I've said in previous posts, I'm having a hard time figuring out why a new RL now costs over $2000. I bought mine at Costco for $1500 four years ago.

      -Bob

      On May 23, 2011, at 1:41 AM, Austin Morgan <admorgan@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 04:00:14AM -0000, Frans wrote:
      > > "If I were to do that I would likely try to get a
      > > kickstarter drive so I could get some capital and open source the project."
      > >
      > > please elaborate?
      > >
      > Kickstarter.com is a kind of like Kiva except that you are asking for a
      > grant instead of a loan. So if I were to decide to create my own mower
      > I would ask people to donate to the project and I would have to list out
      > what my goals and deliverables would be. If I get the requested money I
      > am obligated to deliver the listed deliverables in the time frame I
      > listed. You should check out the site. There are some great projects
      > looking to get initial funding there.
      >
      > Austin Morgan

    • Ben Sporl
      Message 2 of 11 , May 28, 2011
        Austin

        Sorry to hear about the problems you're having/had with the RL1000.  The significant purchase price and is a huge barrier to entry, one of the primary reasons there aren't more owners.  That said, you should look at this from a purely financial position.

        An RL1000 is fully automatic with docking station, meaning comparing with a push/riding mower is not a good comparison.  You should compare against a lawn service.

        At four years of mowing, your RL1000 mowed approximately 144 times assuming 9 months of mowing, 4 times/month costing about $15/mow.  I'm not sure about your area but it costs at least $30/week with no edging around where I live (add another $10 to edge).

        I agree a malfunctioning robomower can drive you nuts.  Your mower should never have given you those initial problems and Robomower should have sent you a working unit.  That said, consider the benefits you've received from a partially working unit and if you invest again the benefits from a "working from the start" Robomower.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2011
          Ben

          I agree that I am not comparing apples and oranges when talking about
          my robomower and other options. Of course the fact that the docking
          station is one of the worst designed pieces of equipment I have had the
          displeasure of owning doesn't help. I have gone through 4 docking
          stations due to a multitude of issues from overheating, bad power
          supplies x2, and short because of a heavy rain. At this time my docking
          station doesn't work and I am not spending the money to fix it again.
          Also since I have a fence around my back yard I can not get the RL-1000
          to mow on a schedule anyway. I was told that it would work with a 38"
          gate if I could get the gate to open, but after many months of trying
          Friendly said oops were were too optimistic and that won't work.

          Of course I am mostly just complaining about stuff because it has so
          much potential. I love having a robot lawnmower, and even if I don't
          fix it will make one of my own. I will not go back to push mowing
          again. Also a yard service here cost $20 with edging and then I don't
          have to pick up the sticks or anything in the yard. That means I am
          pretty much keeping the robot for show more than money.

          Austin