Replaced Batteries, But after unplugging still thinks its Charging?

  • surovich
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14 5:42 AM
      My RL850 died last year, it stopped charging the batteries - So my wife gave up on my little robot and bought a lawnmower. Well, I bought batteries and the unit is fully charging and recognizes that the batteries have fully charged (With the LCD showing Fully charged and keep on charger).

      Now, my issue - When I unplug the AC Adapter it never stops saying "Chargin Complete" - So no matter what, it thinks its on the charger? Any ideas what I should look at?

      Thanks!
    • Tim Wolff
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14 6:21 AM
        Check the yellow cable the runs from the handset cradle/charging jack to the inside of the mower. I had the same symptom when one or more of the conductors in that wire was broken.
        Tim Wolff

        > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        > From: ebay@...
        > Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:42:41 +0000
        > Subject: [RoboMower] Replaced Batteries, But after unplugging still thinks its Charging?
        >
        > My RL850 died last year, it stopped charging the batteries - So my wife gave up on my little robot and bought a lawnmower. Well, I bought batteries and the unit is fully charging and recognizes that the batteries have fully charged (With the LCD showing Fully charged and keep on charger).
        >
        > Now, my issue - When I unplug the AC Adapter it never stops saying "Chargin Complete" - So no matter what, it thinks its on the charger? Any ideas what I should look at?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Christopher Zach
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14 6:57 AM
          On 4/14/2011 9:21 AM, Tim Wolff wrote:

          > Check the yellow cable the runs from the handset cradle/charging jack to the inside of the mower. I had the same symptom when one or more of the conductors in that wire was broken.
          > Tim Wolff

          It's also possible that the little "switch" in the charger jack is
          stuck. It uses that switch to realize it's charging, I cleaned mine once
          with a little can of electronics cleaner that I got from Radio Shack.
          Worst case is to just replace the cradle, which is simple actually.

        • Season Ticket
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2011
            My RL500 would stop dead in its tracks, then start the blades spinning but not go anywhere.  Sometimes it would say "Charging" on the display at those times.  I decided to open up the case (by using the photos someone downloaded into the groups files), and blew out the entire interior of the mower with compressed air.  Put it all back together, and it now works like before....  Not sure if blowing out every nook and cranny with the air did the trick or maybe it was just a loose connecter that I put back on tight, or maybe it was the burnt offering to the ROBOGODS that did it.... !  Whatever, I'm back in my lawnchair again..

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2011
              I have the exact same situation with my RL1000. Eventually I can fix it by taking the power pack out and putting it back in. Very annoying. Anyone know the fix?

              Thanks.
            • Robert Silva
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2011
                The yellow ribbon cable that exits the controller gets fatigued and breaks down. I cut the cable completely, wire nutted the appropriate conductors to close the circuit, and tucked the cable in the body. I don't use an external charger so disabling that charging jack wasn't a big deal.

                When the cable breaks it opens a circuit telling the mower it is charging. Close that circuit and it will work as before.

                -Bob

                On May 4, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Scott Forman <suignrs@...> wrote:

                > I have the exact same situation with my RL1000. Eventually I can fix it by taking the power pack out and putting it back in. Very annoying. Anyone know the fix?
                >
                > Thanks.

              • Austin Morgan
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2011
                  As Tim said, check the yellow cable. If it is not firmly seated, or
                  kinked/broke it will cause that problem. On the RL-1000 this most
                  commonly occurs where the wire meets the cradle. Unfortunately if it is
                  broken then you will need to by a new cradle. Fortunately they are
                  inexpensive and easy to replace.

                  Austin

                  On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:03:43AM -0400, Scott Forman wrote:
                  > I have the exact same situation with my RL1000. Eventually I can fix it by taking the power pack out and putting it back in. Very annoying. Anyone know the fix?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                • Scott Forman
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2011
                    Many many thanks.