Re: Large Front Lawn?

  • no_antswer
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
      "Robomower web site the RL will handle 13K to 17K sq ft"

      I don't think it could do this from a single charge? My understanding is you want to size your zones so that they can be completely cut on a single charge.

    • rowell@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
        My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random patch with it's mowing pattern.

        Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
          Just a suggestion, but for better battery maintenance be sure you allow the
          battery to fully charge. Twenty hours may not do that (20 is all you can
          count on if you mow every day). I suggest setting the mow schedule so that
          it starts after 30 or so hours on the dock.

          Yes, you can set it to mow every day. I've done it in the past, but if
          possible I'd avoid it. Starting in the morning one day, then the afternoon
          the next day, then morning on the fourth day. (as an example) still lets you
          mow pretty often.

          Dan

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
            So with your idea of mowing all the time, would you split your grass into zones, or just have 1 giant zone? I have about 8000sf front yard and a 3000sf back yard, I'm leaning toward 2 zones in the Front and two Zones in the back, but I could connect it in one giant zone.

            I'm struggling as to which is the most efficient. By efficeient, I guess it is "wear and tear" on the mower? I saw somewhere that it cuts abou 1500sf per hour. It seems like you can really only count on 2-3 hours on a charge. Is it better to let the thing run wild, or box it into zones? There is probably an "optimal" sized zone?

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, rowell@... wrote:

            > My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random patch with it's mowing pattern.
            >
            > Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.
            >

            > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@> wrote:
            > >
            > > So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it will always look patchy.
            > >
            > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
              I actually do use two Robomowers to mow my yard. It gets the yard finished
              a lot quicker and also is easier on the batteries since they are not as
              discharged when the yard is finished. But you much what out when running
              two together. I have had occasions where one mower will be in a corner
              beginning to work its way out and the other come at it and shove the one in
              the corner over the wire. Sometimes they just don't play well together when
              they get into corners together. Here where I live it gets so hot that I
              avoid mowing in the peak of the afternoon (when temps are around 95 to 100
              degrees) in the direct sunlight because it seems to be extremely hard on the
              mowers batteries and the LCD displays turn dark due to them getting so hot.
              So I usually let them mow in the early evening when it is a bit cooler but I
              have to watch out and not be too late due to dew developing on the grass and
              sticking to the underside. The dew also keeps me from mowing in early
              morning as well.

              My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the
              result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass
              starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of
              growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random
              patch with it's mowing pattern.

              Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around
              the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything
              is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of
              using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:

              > So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf
              zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it
              will always look patchy.

              > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:

              > > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

            • Tim Wolff
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                I have 3 800 series mowers and 5 zones. I cut non-adjacent zones at the same time. The front yard is the largest zone and I usually drive a mower that has just finished another zone to the front and turn it loose. Nothing unusual. They both complete the programmed run time and stay inside the perimeter. They collide on occasion and go bounding off in different directions.
                Batteries have gotten expensive since I picked up my first mower ~ 8 years ago. I try to go easy on the batteries by charging each battery in the pack separately and avoid running them until the mower stops with a recharge battery message.
                Tim

                > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                > From: rowell@...
                > Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:45:14 +0000
                > Subject: [RoboMower] Re: Large Front Lawn?

                . I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

              • Richard Gard
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                  I tried running mowers in the same zone and it works well with some fun bumping, but it is much better used of battery time to simultaneously run them in non-adjacent zones.

                  Richard

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                    I just got off the phone with someone from Probotics (apparently they are the support for robomow). He suggested I just keep the whole thing (front and back) in one zone. He thought it would do the whole yard in 2 cuts (i.e. cut on Monday, cut again on Tuesday). He also was not a fan of burying the wire.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                      wow. the new models must be very much improved over our little old RL550s!

                      Richard
                      waiting for my grass to green up now if we just warm up a bit more.